speedracer

The Drivers Edge March 12& 13

This is my track car .   Rick continues to place me next to the Porsche folks.  Last time when I started my car in the morning a large cloud of smoke from my exhaust pipe announce to all of them that they were in the beater Miata area where I gather with other beater Miata drives to discuss the finer points of removing accessories like windshield wipers to reduce weight.

D8C93C13-76B2-4BD6-9C40-89299BDE5155.jpeg

In case you are looking at the back of the cars I have cleverly removed the back cover and blacked out my car number which in combination of  my smoke screen prevents other drivers from clearly identifying my car when I make a mistake. Additionally the various small dents are a clear indication that this is a track rat and not a garage queen. 

27D69AF1-8656-46D5-978E-72AB42BD991D.jpeg

I completed my oil change and maintenance checks.  I added a secondary moisture barrier in my car cover to avoid sitting in a puddle of water.  Perhaps it is time to invest in a new car cover. 

1 hour ago, lavatoad said:

BigJae is easy. Red and loud.

Look for a beat up e36 with eyesor plates to find me.

It has a slightly different look now...one side doesn't have any decals. Don't ask!

Smoooooth is fast!   Car looks so composed on the video.  I'm bouncing all over the track and sawing at the wheel to get under a 1:46, but the car should be able to do 1:42s with correct setup and driver..  I need to figure out shock setup better (and then get better at driving it)

After a disappointing performance I have taken the blame the car approach and decided to buy a new suspension for the Miata.   Hopefully next time out I can get less exercise sticking my arm out of the car to give passes.    

Certainly dumping more money into the car will make me go faster. Is that not how it works?   At least my mechanic made me feel better by saying my 20 year old koni yellows with a 100000 miles on them are junk. So next time out if I do not do a little better then I will have to find something else to blame. 

It's a 2004 BMW M3. I run 450lb/700lb springs, OE front sway bar, no rear bar with aero. Most BMW people will run much stiffer springs and bigger sway bars front and rear. And then run even stiffer springs and more bar with aero.

This setup works really well at MSRH because the surface is so bumpy. Not quite as fast at smoother tracks like Cresson 1.7 with the new surface or ECR, could use a little more spring rate. My problem is the TC Kline Koni's really can't handle any more spring on the rear. At some point, I will have the Koni's revalved for up to 1000lb springs. Run 400/850 at MSRH and then 500/900 or 950 at smoother tracks.

Not sure if I mentioned it but I've been using the "Flat Ride" concept to determine spring rates. Fat Cat Motorsports is a big proponent of flat ride. I removed about 800lbs from the car and then installed a roll cage. Pre-flat ride, the front end would just wash out in every low speed turn. Post flat ride, the car continues to shock me at how the front end bites into Diamond's Edge. I think I go in too hot and it turns in. I still under-drive the car, probably by a good margin.  

23 hours ago, speedracer said:

After a disappointing performance I have taken the blame the car approach and decided to buy a new suspension for the Miata.   Hopefully next time out I can get less exercise sticking my arm out of the car to give passes.    

What group were you running in? I don't remember seeing a red Miata?