speedracer

The Drivers Edge HPDE Nov 6,7

I will be there in the Miata working on enjoying some seat time and lowering my lap times.   I have much work to do.  My car worked smoothly for 7 sessions last time.  I am adding a new set of brakes and will continue my quest to wear out a set of tires before they age out.

I usually start about the Tuesday before a race weekend and try to rebuild the suspension and do a chassis setup.
Thursday last week was a 22 hr day (got to bed at 0430 friday morning, then up at 0700 for a meeting!)
Friday was another 3hrs to pack the trailer and get on the road, then left my house near MSRH at 4pm to head north to ECR.   Got to Decatur about 10pm.

.. saturday set a new track record, so I guess all the effort paid off. 🙂

4 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

I usually start about the Tuesday before a race weekend and try to rebuild the suspension and do a chassis setup.
Thursday last week was a 22 hr day (got to bed at 0430 friday morning, then up at 0700 for a meeting!)
Friday was another 3hrs to pack the trailer and get on the road, then left my house near MSRH at 4pm to head north to ECR.   Got to Decatur about 10pm.

That sounds like a great combination of work and fun.    I have been much less focused on working on the car and more focused on a simple set up and working on my driving skills and seat time.    I need drop my lap times another 10 or 15 seconds before I need fix a on the car.  

On 11/5/2021 at 12:43 PM, Matt93SE said:

That sounds like a great combination of work and fun.    I have been much less focused on working on the car and more focused on a simple set up and working on my driving skills and seat time.    I need drop my lap times another 10 or 15 seconds before I need fix a on the car.  

12 hours ago, speedracer said:

There is certainly time to be found in the organic part of my car + driver combo, but I identified several weak points in the car's setup and have been working on them to resolve an understeer issue that's driving me nuts.  New control arms to correct the front geometry and a better chassis setup (alignment, corner balance) dropped ~2 seconds of my last trip to ECR (on the same tires no less), and I dropped the track record by over a second.  After quickly reviewing data, there was at least another 1.5 seconds in that lap where I knew I messed up stuff.  I flubbed T1 entry and lost a few tenths there.  Chickened out and braked before T7 and not carrying enough speed into T8.  Braked a little early in T11.   I also goobered the T15 combo and lost a couple tenths there.

So even my personal best time was an inconsistent turn of a lap!

7 hours ago, speedracer said:

I had a great weekend.  The weather was perfect.   I knocked a few seconds off my lap times.   I met some new friends and basically had fun. 

Woot!  congrats!!  best kind of weekend!

Next event for me is probably in February at MSRH.  Perhaps before then I will find the funds to replace the 15 year old koni yellow struts.   I hope Santa thinks I was a good boy this year.   On the rather strange list of things that I have worn out, I somehow managed to wear out a pair of track shoes.  The left sole is shredded! 

Shoes are a wear item- I usually get about 3 years out of a pair.  usually the heel melts from exhaust temps, and then the glue holding the sole on starts to fail and the shoes fall apart.

So far, I've had really good luck with the cheap G Force shoes (~$100 full price)  and some mid-range Simpson shoes.   I bought some Impact Racing on closeout once and the quality was incredibly poor.  started coming apart after like 3 races so I chunked em and bought the Simpsons I'm on now.

I watch for sales on race gear to find last year's closeouts on the cheap.  Speedway Motors always has safety gear on closeout for great prices ($1200 Sparco X-Light suit for $450).  Also black Friday sales coming up since you have a while till next event.

Great weather! Finally had a good day running CW. It's been a bad luck configuration. Only downer is fuel starvation reared its ugly head at 3/8 of a tank. New splitter worked great - might need a bigger rear wing to balance it out a little better. Most important, ran all of the sessions!

Ran in the 1:42s on Toyo RRs. I'm usually topping out at 127-128 on the back straight, max was 131mph. Still have more time in the braking zones. The car is just insane...still under driving the car on entry.