Max

MSRC- Track Repave Repave

I was at MSRC yesterday and able to drive on the new surface.  Glad to report- it seems much better than the last repave.  I found it to be very nice- the dip at entrance of rattlesnake gone, and the entire surface is very consistent.  It is certainly a green track.  However; I found plenty of grip (the new tires probably helped- hahahahahaha).  However; I think they have provided us freaks a nice place to play!  I look forward to being out there again, and seeing how it holds up in the short and long term.

Last minute cleanup of a few dirt piles before they released us

2060023326_MSRC20210820.thumb.jpg.f13e28a1492a95d2dc16dc863d4baa66.jpg

I was out there getting new gear and a weight on the Corvette.  Looked like you guys were having fun.  I wanted to come play, but it didn't work out.  Maybe Sunday.

Texas Region SCCA had our Time Trial out there today. Grip was down and times were up compared to the old surface, might come back once it's got some rubber on it. Even with fewer than 40 cars (I don't even think anyone was on slicks), part of the repave in rattle snake already started coming up...

There are also still a number of bumps and dips, but they're much smaller and less intrusive than after the first repave. There is a little wash-boarding developing, they may have needed to let the surface cure a bit longer before throwing cars at it.

21 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

Texas Region SCCA had our Time Trial out there today. Grip was down and times were up compared to the old surface, might come back once it's got some rubber on it. Even with fewer than 40 cars (I don't even think anyone was on slicks), part of the repave in rattle snake already started coming up...

There are also still a number of bumps and dips, but they're much smaller and less intrusive than after the first repave. There is a little wash-boarding developing, they may have needed to let the surface cure a bit longer before throwing cars at it.

I was out for part of the first session this morning.  I just wanted to try the Repave Version 2.0.  Wish I'd stayed home vs. almost 200 mile round trip as I did not know that part of Rattlesnake was going to be an autocross course of cones I had to dodge on entry where it was coming up.  Ruined the entire Rattlesnake complex set up today.  Members like me paying monthly dues, garage fees, and having a track worse than what we had is not a good situation.  On my particular line I take into Little Bend with my car set up (SS 1LE, stock suspension), there was a dip I didn't like.  Will that and other track issues get worse in the short or long-term?  Only time will tell.  I think the grip will improve once rubbered in as I remember how much ECR improved over time as I ran it right after their repave and then a number of times over the 'x' weeks after. 

I was told the damaged Rattlesnake area was put on way too thin.  Well, what else was not done properly that will become problematic in the short or longer-term?  The old track was pretty darn good (other than crazy slick in the rain due to being "polished" down over time) after 20+years.

Twelve of us buddies joined together back a few years ago.  Patience is running thin...very thin, kind of the like the asphalt at entry to Rattlesnake!  I am far from the only one frustrated.  I know the track staff, owner, businesses there, etc., are, too, but it's costing all of us money, time, and pleasure with our hobby / businesses.

Bummer to hear about the issues with the repave so soon!  The issues must have started popping up after I had left on Friday, or they began Saturday.  During my runs, the track surface had held up without any cones or pieces of track coming up.  However; there were only about 6-8 cars on track Friday, and a few bikes running in their sessions.  Thus; it wasn't getting too much abuse for those sessions.  I hope they can resolve the issues and get the track up to its' potential.

The pavement guy inspected the track 5pm Saturday after the Time Trial ended, they must have added the cones then. This is the second attempt at repaving (and there was a mediation after the first).

I don't know exactly everything done at Cresson, but I've been blown away by ECR and everything they've done in the last few years. I never even considered a membership at MSR, but I've come close to getting an ECR membership a few times.

11 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

The pavement guy inspected the track 5pm Saturday after the Time Trial ended, they must have added the cones then. This is the second attempt at repaving (and there was a mediation after the first).

I don't know exactly everything done at Cresson, but I've been blown away by ECR and everything they've done in the last few years. I never even considered a membership at MSR, but I've come close to getting an ECR membership a few times.

When our group got a deal, ECR was down for its tear up and repaving, plus garages were available at Cresson  All that was long before the continuing paving mess of 2021.

16 hours ago, BRZ4Science said:

DO IT!! I'll even vouch for you! You know that we have an approval committee...right? I barely got in...LOL...no, there's not an approval committee...and I KNOW that you'd be a GREAT member to have at ECR!!!

19 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

I was out for part of the first session this morning.  I just wanted to try the Repave Version 2.0.  Wish I'd stayed home vs. almost 200 mile round trip as I did not know that part of Rattlesnake was going to be an autocross course of cones I had to dodge on entry where it was coming up.  Ruined the entire Rattlesnake complex set up today.  Members like me paying monthly dues, garage fees, and having a track worse than what we had is not a good situation.  On my particular line I take into Little Bend with my car set up (SS 1LE, stock suspension), there was a dip I didn't like.  Will that and other track issues get worse in the short or long-term?  Only time will tell.  I think the grip will improve once rubbered in as I remember how much ECR improved over time as I ran it right after their repave and then a number of times over the 'x' weeks after. 

I was told the damaged Rattlesnake area was put on way too thin.  Well, what else was not done properly that will become problematic in the short or longer-term?  The old track was pretty darn good (other than crazy slick in the rain due to being "polished" down over time) after 20+years.

Twelve of us buddies joined together back a few years ago.  Patience is running thin...very thin, kind of the like the asphalt at entry to Rattlesnake!  I am far from the only one frustrated.  I know the track staff, owner, businesses there, etc., are, too, but it's costing all of us money, time, and pleasure with our hobby / businesses.

I appreciate your candor on the track surface - that truly sucks!! I hope for your sake - and for all enthusiasts - that Cresson will do it RIGHT! I know that it was painful when ECR did it right....there was MASSIVE engineering / testing done *before* any work on the track....and then it was ALL torn up....and started FRESH, from the ground up! I witnessed a LOT of it first-hand...it was CRAZY!!! But totally WORTH it!

I can only imagine how a repave at MSR Houston would go...if that ever happens.

That's ashame that Rattlesnake is screwed up. That is one of the key turns. I imagine having to dodge cones and pavement pulling up make it more of a chore than fun.

I heard through the FB that it's being/been redone (again).   the pavement laid down in rattlesnake was too thin and didn't adhere correctly, so it's being dealt with.

I remember similar concerns about Hallett when they repaved it about 7-8 yrs ago.   Connie was very concerned about the side effects of a repave, and rightfully so.  

MSRH is going to be another beast.  hard to get (and keep) it smooth when it's built on top of a swamp that goes completely under water several times a year.