texevora

Non-crappy intercom for HPDE instruction?

Howdy all,

A few years ago i thought I was going to start instructing, and at the time was very unimpressed with the intercom offerings on the market. It seemed like everybody hates Chatterboxes. At the time Trac-Com came out with a competing product, but I wasn't that impressed with that system either and sold it before ever using it. 

I'm now actually signed up to become an instructor and need to find a suitable intercom system that doesn't suck. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there has been much improvement in offerings on the market. 

Does anyone have any suggestions on what system to use?

Does anyone have hands-on experience with the Stilo WRC03 or the Speedcom SCC-2MPI relative to the Chatterbox/TracCom systems? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Had a chatterbox -- hated it -- bought the Rosso - IC200 -- other than the size of it and its not cheap  -- I love it.

Dual volume is a huge help -- boom for my students and cable to my Roux Helmet.

http://www.rally-shop.si/en/intercoms-communication-systems/997-rosso-racing-ic-200-advanced-amplifier.html

I think it has been discussed on this forum as well.

I have version 2 of the Trac-Com.  It's excellent.  I plug into my helmet and have 2 student headsets for Covid purposes.  When I get 3 students, I beg/borrow/steal another headset.

Flip side of this question, what would be a good setup for someone who's primarily a student and wants to just get a decent headset, keep it in decent condition, and buy several different adapters to work with whatever kits instructors are using. 

My helmet is 5 years old now and I've been thinking about upgrading to one with coms built in.

I've got the Trac Com...it works very well as a portable setup...I've got mine plugged into one of my old racing helmets using the built-in comms and then the slip-in/on headset for the student. I've got v1...and it would be nice to have a little more volume.

On 5/31/2021 at 8:27 PM, SikedSyko said:

Flip side of this question, what would be a good setup for someone who's primarily a student and wants to just get a decent headset, keep it in decent condition, and buy several different adapters to work with whatever kits instructors are using. 

My helmet is 5 years old now and I've been thinking about upgrading to one with coms built in.

My Roux Helmet has IMSA connections -- and my Rosso Comms has IMSA out.  I think Stilo is similar connector but wired differently -- I was told you can use a Stilo source to a Roux helmet, but the sound might not be quite as good -- 

I don't know what the Trac-Com connector is -- some folks still use Chatterbox -- but I wouldn't invest in anything specific to those as lots of folks are moving away from them.

Thanks all for the input and recommendations. I ended up going with the Speedcom SCC-2MPI system with the RTM mic helmet kit for my helmet and a single-ear headset for the student driver. It does seem quite loud testing it at home in a quiet environment. Will test it this weekend on track and report back. The Speedcom system seems quite well made, definitely a step above my Trac-Com that I had briefly IIRC. 

I did notice that when i plug my helmet speaker cups (which have a stereo 3.5mm plug) into the 1/8" mono jack on the Speedcom helmet kit, i only get sound out of one ear. I thought if you plugged a stereo plug into a mono jack you'd still get sound in both ears, just identical audio in both ears as opposed to true stereo. Anyone know if that should be the case, or if I potentially have a defective helmet kit? 

Just upgraded my Trac-Com from V1.5 to V2, night and day difference in volume level. Highly recommended with one caveat:

Sent in my V1.5 for an upgrade, got the unit back, plugged in a head set and there was a horrible high pitched noise, some sort of electrical interference, when I cranked up the volume to the max. The explanation was that "Our V2 does not have any kind of artificial volume limiting circuit built in which allows the users to overdrive the amplifiers - a side effect of this is uncontrolled feedback when the amplifiers are pushed beyond their efficiency envelope." That was no good for me so I sent the unit back for a fix -- the fix is to "mechanically limit the knobs so that they can not be turned up beyond what is an acceptable limit and induce feedback into the system." Got the fixed unit back and the volume is plenty loud, last weekend I had the knob maybe at 1/3 of the max and did not feel the need to crank up the volume more. So for those of you who decide to upgrade, I would ask for a mechanical limit in advance.