Captain Buddha

NASCAR Debut at COTA Truck Race!!

4 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Remember...turning is braking...I say this all the time...when in doubt....TURN!!!! You don't want to hit the wall head-on!!! Most welcome! I'm just glad to be here!!

Technically, you're safer to hit it head-on or tail-on than any sideways direction, simply due to the design of the seat and safety harness.

That said, you do want to scrub as much speed as possible before you hit anything- or avoid hitting a wall altogether, so turning should still be the first option.

I'd rather back it in any day....BTW - have you taken a look at the NASCAR SFI 39.1 Carbon Seats (All Belts to Seat)....that's what I've got, will I use it again? I dunno...going to be a great souvenir though LOL!! I could put it in my TA2 car...but my RaceTech is AWESOME, very comfortable and safe!

Ya, those newer seats are beefy.   they've come a LONG way in updating their safety since the days of Dale.   Thin alu seats, open face helmets w/ goggles..   We look back at that just a few years ago and *wow*.

On 5/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, Captain Buddha said:

Remember...turning is braking...I say this all the time...when in doubt....TURN!!!! You don't want to hit the wall head-on!!! Most welcome! I'm just glad to be here!!

Franky -- that was a perfect save -- If nothing else -- your team should be very thankful!

19 hours ago, lonestarrpm said:

Franky -- that was a perfect save -- If nothing else -- your team should be very thankful!

Thank you! It's amazing what you can "will" the vehicle to do when you need too!

When I first looked at that sticker, I swore it said "I love your Mom"  

image.png.e17ab192c71717e51c8eacafdec22b20.png

So ummm, how much lube did it take to get in and out of that window opening?  that looks like a tight fit even for a small person?

In for video of Brad doing a 5-second egress!

Seems like it was a bit of a rush job at the end.  I wonder how different it would have been if you could have had some practice time with the truck at ECR to debug things.  I really wish you had been able to race.

OTOH, like you said, how many even get the chance to try . . . .

51 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

When I first looked at that sticker, I swore it said "I love your Mom"  

image.png.e17ab192c71717e51c8eacafdec22b20.png

So ummm, how much lube did it take to get in and out of that window opening?  that looks like a tight fit even for a small person?

LOL at the Mom sticker....

The whole 55 gallon barrel....LOL! My crew chief, in the pic, to the right, is a very skinny/small person...it was tight for him, he admitted to it being a PITA for HIM!!!

13 minutes ago, hornetball said:

In for video of Brad doing a 5-second egress!

Seems like it was a bit of a rush job at the end.  I wonder how different it would have been if you could have had some practice time with the truck at ECR to debug things.  I really wish you had been able to race.

OTOH, like you said, how many even get the chance to try . . . .

I could show you the pic, but for your eyeball's sake...I won't...my wife took a pic of me after my day was done...I was BRUISED from top to BOTTOM on my back / backside...they've now turned from Black/Blue to dark red...it seriously looks like I've been whipped for being naughty...LOL...the real culprit was the top / halo of my seat...if it wasn't for that...it would've been MUCH better....that and the little plastic window on the front of the window....one of the NASCAR tech officials looked at me and said "better you than me! I'm not knocking you, because I know I couldn't do it...but wow, good on ya!!"

Yeah, I was at the shop for a few days...we all had crew/wrenches of our own to help...I have a new appreciation for race trucks! Yeah, I would have LOVED to test...problem is, it's against the rules...other full-time Cup drivers I know said it would've been a really good idea too...even though it's against the rules... LOL

It's all good though, talked to full-timer buddy today...we both think that XFINITY is better from a drivability and ergonomic stand-point for me...I REALLY had a hard time with the ergos of the truck...imagine your right leg bent...and then your right foot bent ALL the way UP...feel the burn on your shins? That's idle...that would've been a real booger. For reference, I fit A-OK fine in both my TA2 and my old Monte Carlo - both of which are stock cars. Trucks are a different bird. So...will see what the future holds. No regrets about any of it though, it was FUN while it lasted...and I've got memories, TV time...AND....T-shirts LOL!!!

And I very much appreciate your sentiments...I really wished I could have raced too!!

So, I actually find this stuff HUGELY funny! Some of the comments from folks that will NEVER ever see a racetrack, let alone get a racing license or a pro license...they make some of the stupidest comments...pretty funny stuff...I actually thought about replying...but, why feed the trolls? I mean, I've got Matt here as it is! LOL! Love ya Matt!!

BTW - I followed up with Andy Lally ---> "That's wasn't me being brave...that was me losing brakes..." 

20 hours ago, centerville said:

I turned on the computer 2 minutes before that aired. All I could think was "damn Brad will do anything to have the camera on him" lol. Congrats on the opportunity of a lifetime. 

Thank you!!