Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

17 hours ago, himself said:

2021 Goals:

  • Storm the capitol building.

I'm basically done.

-td

Pictures Or It Didn T Happen GIFs | Tenor

Share this post


Link to post

2020 goal was to get out to the track more which I accomplished.

2021 goals:

  • Data shows that I stay on throttle partly while hell-toe downshifting in hard brake zones. Need to extinguish this behavior as it's slowing me down.
  • Joe mentioned lack of confidence in braking.  Ditto with me.  I'd like to work out the kinks as I am still only getting maximum braking of about 0.8g's - that's with GLOC R12 front / R8 rear.  The car is surely capable of more based on other folks' data reads.  This may go hand-in-hand with the 1st point.  Troubleshooting needed to identify if the issue is mechanical, human, or both.
  • 9 HPDE events.
  • Come in at or under budget ($3,000) for all track related expenses including fees, consumables, and maintenance.

 

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, vchengap said:
  • Come in at or under budget ($3,000) for all track related expenses including fees, consumables, and maintenance.

 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.   sorry.  That's one weekend's budget for many.

New Hoosiers: $1500/set
truck fuel: $200
Race Fuel: $250
Entry fee: $500
Hotel: $200
Food: $50
consumables: $100 
Maintenance: $300  (save up for the next engine-go-boom)  

 

My first few race seasons, I bought used tires, slept in the trailer, ran pump gas..   ahhh that was the life.   A full 10-race race season on about $7500.

Now I'm old and can't move the next day if I sleep in my hammock in the trailer....  and don't buy a boosted car for track duty cause the sumbeech drinks 15 gal of 110 a day.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.   sorry.  That's one weekend's budget for many.

New Hoosiers: $1500/set
truck fuel: $200
Race Fuel: $250
Entry fee: $500
Hotel: $200
Food: $50
consumables: $100 
Maintenance: $300  (save up for the next engine-go-boom)  

I know, I know 😆

Such is the life of someone in love with cars while at the same time trying to retire by 45.  The inner conflict is real. 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Top 10s in Super tour. Looking at 3 of those 

Top 5 at NASA Nationals

Win a race at every NASA TX weekend I go to.

Keep improving in data use/prep/notekeeping

Win a WRL race... been on a drought since last year.

2020 goals above.  Got a top 10 in super tour.  NASA Nationals was cancelled.  Definitely didn't win a race at every NASA TX weekend.  Did improve data use. WRL team went away, unfortunately.  Call it a wash lol.  In 2020's weird year I still managed a NASA regional and SCCA Divisional championship, which I was really happy with.

 

2021 for me is 100% All about 2 weekends. NASA Championships at Daytona and Runoffs at Indianapolis.  Goal is top 5 at NASA, top 10 at SCCA (frankly, thats a stretch goal, but doable I think.)

Driving wise, I want to focus on the 20% throttle tip in mid corner.  I see this on alot of pro data and I'm suspecting it's that .1 per corner that's seperating me from the front of the field nationally in SM.

Regionally, I'm finding myself choking when I'm up front.  Want to get used to winning.  Winning a race a weekend is doable, but now that I'm running 2 cars I'm not sure that I'll have the regional car prepped quite to that level.  We'll see.  Call it a soft goal.

I feel what alot of you guys are saying about instructing.  I've slowed down significantly in that department.  NASA weekends only, and even then I'm trying to take a lighter load from right seat as it's starting to take a toll on me physically.  I was on all 4s trying to puke on grid before Sunday race 2 at ECR lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, Vinnieb said:

Driving wise, I want to focus on the 20% throttle tip in mid corner.  I see this on alot of pro data and I'm suspecting it's that .1 per corner that's seperating me from the front of the field nationally in SM.

.....

I feel what alot of you guys are saying about instructing.  I've slowed down significantly in that department.  NASA weekends only, and even then I'm trying to take a lighter load from right seat as it's starting to take a toll on me physically.  I was on all 4s trying to puke on grid before Sunday race 2 at ECR lol

 

What's this 20% throttle tip you speak of?  learn me moar, sir. (move to new thread or PM if appropriate)

Maybe if you taught your students to drive better, you wouldn't be sick after riding with one!!  😛

Share this post


Link to post

2021 Goals:

1. Buy first home in Denver.

2. Get wife pregnant.

3. Get track membership at High Plains Raceway

4. Figure out how to lower driver seat in Miata with 3 point, or cage swap AGAIN! for better belt placement.

5. Rebuild S2000 client base in new location.

6. Learn to MIG a perfect cube from square tubing with no warping.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, IanIsInGarage said:

2021 Goals:

1. Buy first home in Denver.

2. Get wife pregnant.

3. Get track membership at High Plains Raceway

4. Figure out how to lower driver seat in Miata with 3 point, or cage swap AGAIN! for better belt placement.

5. Rebuild S2000 client base in new location.

6. Learn to MIG a perfect cube from square tubing with no warping.

Waiting for comments on #2...must not make comments (the voice in my head)...LOL

#3 - LOVE HPR!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
On 1/10/2021 at 11:07 AM, Vinnieb said:

I was on all 4s trying to puke on grid before Sunday race 2 at ECR lol

Sounds like a normal recovery from the party the night before...sounds like you should've drank just a tad more...so you would actually expel the demons...trust me...I've been doing this for awhile... LOL!!

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

What's this 20% throttle tip you speak of?  learn me moar, sir. (move to new thread or PM if appropriate)

Maybe if you taught your students to drive better, you wouldn't be sick after riding with one!!  😛

Spent some time borrowing data from some top 1% SM guys.  I see this split second of 20% throttle, typically right after turn in, before apex, in the split second before they're finished scrubbing speed and are about to get back onto full throttle.  Talking to my data dude (Scott Adams) he sees the same thing, and talking to those drivers they do it conscientiously in order to stabilize the platform headed to apex before full throttle.  Its literally a split second and its a tickle of the throttle.  And its right at the point where I am losing the 1mph and .1 sec.

 

4 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Sounds like a normal recovery from the party the night before...sounds like you should've drank just a tad more...so you would actually expel the demons...trust me...I've been doing this for awhile... LOL!!

... We had definitely had a few the evening before. Still podiumed that race!

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, Vinnieb said:

... We had definitely had a few the evening before. Still podiumed that race!

Spoken like a true champ!!

Share this post


Link to post

2020 was definitely a weird year. You’d think with the lack of traveling for work I would’ve had more times for the track, but it just didn’t work out that way.  I did finally get to run the full track at ECR after only doing the short track a couple of times the year before. Also had a couple of good days at MSRC, but I’ve quit getting faster and need to shake things up to break out. 
 

Not really a goals kinda guy myself, but this year I would love to make more DEs, bust outta this plateau I’m in on lap times at MSRC, and meet more good folks on track days. 
 

And I still don’t see how some of you do so much instructing. That would put a serious crimp in my mid-afternoon nap between sessions. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...