hornetball

Another Occasional Track Toy (and Daily)

1 hour ago, BRZ4Science said:

Mustangs weight like 2 tons though, no roof is strong enough to hold that up. 😉

That was the famous flip at Hallett where they had a bolt-in Autopower roll bar that punched through the floor attachment points.  Proper roll cage for the win!

While the picture looks bad, I'd say the stock hoops did their job in that case keeping in mind you're in a 3 point belt so upper body is free to move around a bit. And also illiustrates that safety is a full system. Put harnesses in a car with those stock hoops and you're in bad shape. As soon as you start changing the system away from full OEM, you need to go all in on proper roll bar, seat, harness, etc. 

Personally, and I'm pretty throw caution to the wind kinda person, I don't much like the idea of tracking any OEM vehicle. After suddenly finding myself stationary in a racecar I appreciate being in a full cage with 6 point belts and hans. I did take the miata out a few more times with autopower bar since then, but I was certainly thinking about it a bit at places like PPIR coming around an oval at 100mph with a wall waiting on the outside...felt better off in LobsterVette going many fast.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, cabowabo said:

While the picture looks bad, I'd say the stock hoops did their job in that case keeping in mind you're in a 3 point belt so upper body is free to move around a bit. And also illiustrates that safety is a full system. Put harnesses in a car with those stock hoops and you're in bad shape. As soon as you start changing the system away from full OEM, you need to go all in on proper roll bar, seat, harness, etc. 

Personally, and I'm pretty throw caution to the wind kinda person, I don't much like the idea of tracking any OEM vehicle. After suddenly finding myself stationary in a racecar I appreciate being in a full cage with 6 point belts and hans. I did take the miata out a few more times with autopower bar since then, but I was certainly thinking about it a bit at places like PPIR coming around an oval at 100mph with a wall waiting on the outside...felt better off in LobsterVette going many fast.

given the windshield frame is right where the driver's head would be when that seat buckled, I'm not sure how anyone survived that mess, unless the driver went sideways and wasn't upright in the seat when it pancaked.

the driver's upper body may be "free" in a 3 pt belt, but it needs to be out of the way when the impact happens- not pushed free by the impact.  my body may be a big bag of jello, but there are also bones and organs inside that shouldn't be slammed around.

yeouch no matter what happened to that car/driver.

I found a news video related to that picture.  Looks like Darwin-award stuff.  2 fatalities.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/1244428867589

I also though this clip was interesting.  It shows how some authorities test for "rollover" protection.  Notice the "ideal" rollover with 0 forward or rearward movement.  Not much of a test IMHO.

not sure a rollover test like that is entirely applicable to what *typically* happens in a rollover at the track...   I would assume that many/most rollovers occur on softer ground after a car leaves racing surface and hooks a wheel into the mud, not directly over pavement.   not saying it cant/won't happen at all, but I envision a different percentage of occurrence.   

nonetheless, that video was painful to watch with people slamming their heads and arms into the pavement.

On 12/23/2020 at 5:45 PM, cabowabo said:

keeping in mind you're in a 3 point belt so upper body is free to move around a bit. And also illiustrates that safety is a full system. Put harnesses in a car with those stock hoops and you're in bad shape.

Agree, harnesses in any car without a cage - or at least (on the fence about this) a hoop and rear section - is scary.

A few years ago, Targa NL (stupidly) introduced a "Fast Tour" division - which allowed participation in the road rally, without car safety prep requirements, for half the entry fee....

It was meant I'm sure to bring in "street / tuner cars" to bump revenue, and I know the guy in these pics.  Luckily he escaped with just a separated shoulder when the roof drove his head into his co-drivers lap...

Had they decided to run harnesses it would have been a bad scene:

FB_IMG_1609548298264.jpg.a7c74bbfa4d68504b115799f53fa09de.jpg

Screenshot_20210101-190752.thumb.png.dbd1a1df7beb9445947135cf87e7424e.png

Screenshot_20210101-190634.thumb.png.a2e75a5762ee905c00885cc534f52a45.png

Screenshot_20210101-190626.thumb.png.271691f82a60f13d962fd6845af00655.png

1 hour ago, hornetball said:

Not sure how this thread became a carnage thread, but . . .

A hijack but an at least informative one. Crazy how far it's come from the NA.