hornetball

Another Occasional Track Toy (and Daily)

10 hours ago, Hollywood said:

This is excellent. ND2 club? Love that color.

Indeed.  2020.  Planning to put a few break in miles and then see how it handles the track.  The Recaros really grip you.

The color is interesting.  Looks grayish . . . then bluish . . . has some flake in it too.

My wife noted that this is the first time in my life I've bought a new car for myself.  0% interest + no one buying convertibles in December.

Quick question - I see what appear to be two roll-hoop style structures, one behind each seat - does this meet the requirements for track use for a convertible around here?

And...the color - very cool / interesting...I like colors that tend to "shift" depending on how the light hits it...

1 hour ago, Captain Buddha said:

Quick question - I see what appear to be two roll-hoop style structures, one behind each seat - does this meet the requirements for track use for a convertible around here?

And...the color - very cool / interesting...I like colors that tend to "shift" depending on how the light hits it...

Highly depends on the club, but yes the ND falls into the category of "factory roll protection" that includes a select few convertibles (S2000, Boxster, and Z4 are the other ones I remember off hand). Of course, you'd still have to pass the "broom test", and there's no guarantee that an overzealous tech inspector or chief of safety won't send you home anyway. I really like the ND, but I don't fit (especially in the passenger seat, they really cramped that side of the car).

4 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

From what I've been told SCCA allows the stock hoops for HPDE type stuff, but I personally wouldn't feel comfortable tracking the car with the stock aluminum hoops. 

NdRollover.jpeg.6eddd56104ed9667ba03a13a2f896b62.jpeg

1 hour ago, hornetball said:

My first mod is going to be seat lowering brackets.  https://auroraautodesign.com/collections/frontpage/products/aurora-auto-design-low-profile-driver-seat-mount-nd-miata-fiat-124

Even for daily use, I'm sitting too high.

I went with the cheap $90 dollar fixed position Paco Motorsport lowering kit as I couldn't shell out $400 for the Aurora Designs, but let us know what you think of them.

I agree y'all....I just asked more from a perspective of "wonder if folks could take that car straight to the track"....back when the 427 C6 convertible came out I was in a quandary...as I LOVE drop tops...and this had the Z06 motor...ultimately I decided on a true Z06 (the '13)...oh man...so glad I did! And that's what really got me into this mess!! I've seen pics of a flattened C6 vert before...I truly love a cage...I absolutely hate tracking a street car...especially MY street car...

Hmmm . . . .  So, the federally approved rollover protection isn't any different than a "style bar"?  That picture is gross.

My other Miatas have real protection (the one I regularly track is caged).  Might need to get a real rollbar for this one too.

Always modding . . . .