Sign in to follow this  
Matt93SE

SCCA Divisional Race Nov 7-8, 2020

Well if you can brake harder than the faster guy, maybe you should brake later instead of softer at same location???

Are you looking at any braking forces, or just Gs and speed graphs?

One of the cool things about modern cars and CAN bus is that I can monitor all 4 wheel speeds and brake pedal pressure from the ABS computer among the GPS stuff.  one of the things I noticed is that no matter how hard I *think* I'm braking, I still don't seem to be engaging ABS anywhere that I have looked close enough at the data.  this turn consistently has the highest brake pedal pressures, but you don't see any jagged wheel speeds to indicate ABS working.  the dip you see right at the data reference line is the engine RPM spike, so that must be where I left off the clutch post-downshift.  So that's telling me I need to step on that pedal harder!

image.png

On 11/16/2020 at 10:55 AM, Matt93SE said:

112mph was the highest I saw on the data.  need to find the missing 30hp at the dyno shop between this engine + tune vs. the previous setup.  of course it's hard to calculate the difference, but another 30hp should net me lots of MPHs on the back straight.

Also need to fix the understeer so I'm carrying more speed through T8-9-10 instead of pedaling it around the turn trying not to push off the outside of the track and down the hill of tire-eating sharp things.  haha.

Some claim that its faster for low hp cars to straight line 8-9 but to my way of thinking that just means you overslowed for 8. My pig uses ALL of the exit. Super common for the low HP folks to try and carry too much in 8-9 and early 10 trying too overcompensate for the big straightaway coming up. Biggest thing is to not overcook 9 as the impact of T10 is mega. 

Exit of 10 can get hairy as you lose that beautiful 6 degrees of camber at the very end. If you are wide at that ppoint, it gets a bit sketch. Or you might be like my friend who had to phone the clubhouse, he went so far off (on member day) that nobody even knew he was out there. Barbed wire fence does not do a car's body right.

4 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Looked up “the guy” you keep mentioning and then saw it was McCallion, he’s no spring chicken - old school pointy end 🤣

I remember flagging for that crew back in the day, probably 07-09 era.

http://timingscoring.drivenasa.com/NASA_Texas_Region/2013 - Official Results/3 TWS_April/April 20 Cyclone Race 1 SM SSM.pdf

Hah, yeah I feel odd talking about other people on public forums, especially since this isn't a spec miata centric one... but yeah, Trevor can still get it on par with any SM driver in the country, IMO.  He's way underrated nationally.

I was flagging TWS right after you.  09-12

That list is quite the blast from the past.  Trevor and Gale who are still as good as anyone in this region.  Haldeman whose as good as anyone in the country.  F4 Driver and Global MX5 Champ in Timo and Niko.  NASA national champ with Ross.  Couple future pros with Poland, Udell, and Stacy.  I would have loved to have run in that field.   We miss you dude!

On 11/20/2020 at 8:38 PM, El_Tortuga said:

Some claim that its faster for low hp cars to straight line 8-9 but to my way of thinking that just means you overslowed for 8. My pig uses ALL of the exit. Super common for the low HP folks to try and carry too much in 8-9 and early 10 trying too overcompensate for the big straightaway coming up. Biggest thing is to not overcook 9 as the impact of T10 is mega. 

Exit of 10 can get hairy as you lose that beautiful 6 degrees of camber at the very end. If you are wide at that ppoint, it gets a bit sketch. Or you might be like my friend who had to phone the clubhouse, he went so far off (on member day) that nobody even knew he was out there. Barbed wire fence does not do a car's body right.

Ya I tried pretty much all of those lines and none of them help you get around a Vette with a really wide ass and tons of torque.  not sure I'm quite consistent enough elsewhere in the data to look at mine and see which line was faster for me.  Sometimes I would come out of 8 and do a late apex at 9 so I'd be on the outside for 10, but I was trying to do maths in my head for all the extra distance I was driving so I could carry 5mph extra through apex of 9.  not sure it was worth it..   other times I tried just staying to the right thru 8 and 9 and tap the brakes before 9 to set the nose.   with the understeer I was dealing with, none of them were real confidence inspiring.  every goal was to get on the power early in 10, but that takes guts when your car don't wanna turn and the track falls away!   I could certainly see having to phone one in from that turn.

(happened to my dad during a WRL race at TWS a few years ago..   he went WAYY off at T6 and wound up on the back side of the hill stuck in the mud. corner workers didn't see him so no flags or wrecker and he was out there for like 20 minutes.  he finally got the car unstuck and one of the workers at 7 musta caught sight of him coming back cause he gave him a huge clap.  haha)