nealb

Falken 660 tire

I've heard the Bridgestone RE71R is out of production and there isn't a replacement in the pipeline for USA

Question on the new Falken 660.

As compared to the RE71R, are they as good for autocross?

How about track?  I’ve heard they are faster on track but don’t know other characteristics like do they last as long, are they good to the cord or not, do they like heat, etc

Any input from those who have run them?

I know a couple of guys who've run them at autox and on the track. They are better at autox than the RE71r (or at least as good), and hold up to track temperatures better than the old RE71r (I don't have reliable data for times on track, but they seem to be comparable to the RE71r). All this was for BRZ/FRS, an RX8, and an NC Miata.

The Hankook RS4 is my favorite 200tw track tire, it is very slightly slower than the RE71r and 660 but lasts much longer and is more consistent. I do plan on buying a set of 660's to try them out and get some head to head comparisons. 

IT is really only possible to get a good comparison by taking stickers of each and putting them through the same paces (setup, car, temp, etc) and would have to be a consistent driver to really say if they are similar. 

The Tire Rack testing suggest they are in the ballpark with the best out there. 

I agree, for track, I'd try the RS4 if I wanted the longest lasting tire and it was a competition. 

On 10/23/2020 at 2:14 PM, BRZ4Science said:

I know a couple of guys who've run them at autox and on the track. They are better at autox than the RE71r (or at least as good), and hold up to track temperatures better than the old RE71r (I don't have reliable data for times on track, but they seem to be comparable to the RE71r). All this was for BRZ/FRS, an RX8, and an NC Miata.

The Hankook RS4 is my favorite 200tw track tire, it is very slightly slower than the RE71r and 660 but lasts much longer and is more consistent. I do plan on buying a set of 660's to try them out and get some head to head comparisons. 

I have run all three tires at hallet during a wrl event on an ND MX5 over the last 3 years

660 and RE71 lap times within 3/10 with RE71 being the faster.  The RE71 lasted 6 hours before cording, crisp turn in predictable at the limit .  The 660 lasted all 8 hours, although it was basically a slick when the enduro was done, consistent thru the whole 8 hours.

the RS4 will easily last 2 8 hour enduros, are about 1 second per lap slower than the other 2 and is likely the worst tire I have ever driven in the rain.

The 660's are a good budget option for RE71R replacements while Bridgestone decides if we deserve the RE71RS' in the states. Yokos are great but pricier and the BFG Rivals seem to be the old other top tier fast tire.

I love the RS4s and the Star Spec 3's but both are more for life than grip. The 615's are similar but not made out of the same Iron as the RS4s.

If you NEED tires now, the 660's are a good option if they are priced cheaper but RE's for Miata sizes seem to still be in stock and within $20 per tire. Worth it for sure.

I just bought the 660's at a $300+ discount over RE71Rs for my OEM 996 sizes.  We'll see how they do out on the track March 6-7th.  

There are super deals on the 615s right now with delivery expected in the April 2021 range for the next shipment per Tire Rack.  I needed tires and couldn't wait, but for my sizes a few weeks ago, 615s=$570, 660s=$775, RE71Rs=$1100

I was told they're going to keep making the 615s so the 660 isn't replacing. I hope that's correct as the more options the better.

On 1/21/2021 at 4:43 PM, TulaneAg said:

I was told they're going to keep making the 615s so the 660 isn't replacing. I hope that's correct as the more options the better.

Interesting, I was wondering if the 615s were going to stick around. Seems odd as they seem to cover the same ground. But personally, I like the _look_ of the 615 better for the NSX. I know, that sounds weird.