Cc454

Pandemic 2002 JV6 Miata

Rebuilding my 2nd Miata, a 2002 NB 6 sp base model with 160k on the clock.  The theme of the car is cheap performance and used parts with a few new things throne in to make it comfortable daily driver.

20180503_154651.jpg

20200315_132738 (2).jpg

I have done mods to the car along the way to my daily driver, some easy, some not. I like to surf around and find good deals on used parts, collect them up and eventually they find their way onto the car. There is a build blog posted in another forum https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/jv6-miata-during-a-pandemic/173735/page1/ 

I'm posting a picture book version here so you can play name that mod. 🙂

20180425_122948.jpg

20180918_110541.jpg

old_bushings.jpg

arms_spindle1.jpg

v8r_disc2.jpg

3 inch_1.jpg

driveway 1.jpg

cat1a.jpg

pan1.jpg

underpan1.jpg

seat without cushion.jpg

both seats.jpg

really plenty of head room now.jpg

3 inch_2.jpg

tailpipe.jpg

blank_hub.jpg

On the JV6 side of things it all started when I found a J35A4 listed in Racing Junk, seems the PO had it hopped up for a sandrail but opted out on the last payment. It sat on the shelf for a couple of years before I made a deal on the long bloke. I don't have a build sheet but its been ported and it has new sleeves in it and its been balanced from what I can see. So now I am in the process of dressing the engine and making a wire harness.

waterpipe_5.jpg

waterpipe_6.jpg

clutch ready to marry.jpg

spec beauty.jpg

oil_adapt_1.jpg

20190810_103232 (2).jpg

I have a couple of Electromotive ECU's so I'm setting it up for a 60-2 tooth crank position and cam sync to allow me to run full sequential fuel injection with some options. I'm going to try and use the Honda sensor on the new higher pitch trigger wheel I had made. If not I will do a full size one external on the harmonic damper.

Never seen 'Vette seats in a Miata before.  They are comfortable!

8 minutes ago, hornetball said:

Never seen 'Vette seats in a Miata before.  They are comfortable!

I'm 6'2" 260 lbs. Got tired of riding around on the toilet bowl cut down seat. With the lowered seat pan I can still use the vette electric rails and pass the broom stick test on the lowest setting.

full height.jpg

rail fit.jpg

I like this!!! Cool build for sure, I love my J swapped S2000! (S3200)  I see youre going with a spec Twin disc, I kind of wish I would have gone with a hyper single instead. 

Does your ECU not support the factory Cam and crank sensor? I shaved a nipple off my cam gear for the proper sync. 

On 8/21/2020 at 9:05 AM, V6Donut said:

I like this!!! Cool build for sure, I love my J swapped S2000! (S3200)  I see youre going with a spec Twin disc, I kind of wish I would have gone with a hyper single instead. 

Does your ECU not support the factory Cam and crank sensor? I shaved a nipple off my cam gear for the proper sync. 

What clutch do you have? This is my 1st time with a twin disc. Should be interesting.  The Electromotive ECO only runs with a 60-2 crank wheel, I also have to mod the cam pulley and machine off the extra timing nubs.  

I've been collecting tubing to start piecing the headers together.  The prices on ss mandrel bends are just CRAZY!  I scrounged around all my left overs and found two ebay sets in my diameter to make something with. 

headers_3.jpg

header_4.jpg

I pulled the A/C compressor out of the miata, it has never worked since I bought it, and installed it on the J35 using the adapter from MiniTech. It went on with out a hitch.  Alignment looks pretty good for the 4 rib pulley.  I found a cheap new compressor from a Mazda 3 that uses a 6 rib clutch. ac_pump1.thumb.jpg.58023a5b143dfdb44e19ff1fa2ea0c3a.jpg

Hoping they share the same mount pattern.

I got plenty of room behind the pump for tubes. 

ac_pump3.jpg

ac_pump4.jpg

When I was removing A/C stuff I removed the power steering pump. The fluid was a caramel colored milkshake. I drained the fluid and let it set and separate. It had water in it!  I'm guessing getting it soaked out on the street and having an open louver right over the reservoir.   I did find the suction hose from the pump to the reservoir had some dry rot cracks at both ends radiating from the tube. I would bet it was sucking a little air and water when available. The rebuild kits will be here soon, I hope.

I have been running a looped de-powered rack these last few days and it really sucks.  I know the rack has not been truly modified and I use a 320 mm steering wheel.  I might try this again with another rack that I fully modify to manual operation.

20180922_135907.jpg

steering_delete.jpg

ac_delete_1.jpg

I re-installed the power steering and flushed it out.  Its so nice to have my steering back to nice and quick!

I'm guessing when I get the really wide wheels on it will put a little more feedback in the steering wheel.  I'm also wondering if it's worth doing the bushings. Any body out there replace the rack bushings?