Sign in to follow this  
SikedSyko

Questions about Harness Fitment

So I just finished having a rollbar installed in my BMW Z4 with some race seats and 6 point harnesses. I have OMP TRS-E seats, which are pretty narrow seats and then I bought Ultrashield's HANS compatible Cam-lock 6 point harness.

I'm having some issues getting it all adjusted properly because of the amount the length of the stitched areas where it meets the buckles. Specifically on the lap belts. I have the belts setup to where the belt adjusters are JUST barely inside of the seat and accessible, so basically as tight as I get can them, but then at full tightness the lap belts are still not super snug. Is this just a problem with harnesses in general? Or do the Ultrashield's have more stitching than some harnesses? I'm not exactly super skinny, pretty average build. I imagine it would be better if I had a wider seat, but that wouldn't be ideal from a fit perspective for me or the car.

The other question I had is about the length of the anti-sub straps. I have them setup to be right in line with the SFI guidelines, but then the bracket on the bottom belt is almost down in between my legs. Its not immediately noticeably bad, but I can imagine it will start hurting after like 20 minutes in the car and I'm sure if I was in a wreck, it would destroy my inner thigh gap. Should I adjust these up? I think I would need the Camlock basically over my belly button in order to have that bracket high enough that it wouldn't stab my legs.

spacer.png
spacer.png

After years of messing with the pull-up lap belts, I went back to a pull-down style lap belt  and found they're much easier to get fitment correct.  I had hassles with the lengths on mine similar to what you did because the lengths of each strap were just perfectly aligned to make it impossible to fit into the seat and get correct adjustment.

And no, DO NOT raise the camlock up to your bellybutton area..  that's a major safety no-no because your hips and thighs should be the part of your body that take the brunt of the force in a wreck.  moving the cam strap up takes the straps away from the tops of your legs and centers the stresses around your guts-- all the squishy stuff you are trying to protect!!

that also turns the sub strap into an instant crotch-crusher as your body slides down and forward under the harness since your squishy guts squished and your hips and torso moved down and forward.

obviously layman's terms there, but you can see the point.   the leg straps and sub straps are vitally important part and need to stay over your hips and legs to make everything work.     unfortunately I don't have good ideas how to help you make that happen, but you need to make sure it happens. 

What Matt said. Also, check this guide, it is really good:

https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/racing/service/installation-instructions.html?file=files/schroth/pdf/installation-instructions/racing/eas-ab-2019/ea_8-2-qg_2019-10.pdf

I set up my harnesses so that the sub and both lap belts are perfect when I strap in (meaning that I am NOT adjusting them at all when getting in the car). All I adjust is the shoulder belts, after clipping in, of course.4

For the next time you buy a harness:

1. 2" lap belts are much easier to tighten.
  2. I'm 100% in agreement with pull-down over pull-up.  After my first set of pull-ups that were nearly impossible to adjust, I've always bought pull-downs.
  3. They make lap belts where the pull down adjuster is integrated with the buckle.  That's kick-ass.  A lot of harness makers are offering this option, it's becoming popular because it works well.  Here are some examples:
    https://www.schroth.com/en/segments/racing/products/details/show/enduro-2x2.html
    https://www.saferacer.com/collections/racing-harnesses/products/sparco-6pt2steel-harness

As stated before, it is critical that the lap belt be "low and tight across your pelvis" (as the flight attendants like to say).  That's your body's structure.  The only function of a sub strap is to keep the lap belt in that position, so keep it short.  Having the buckle located in soft tissue rather than on your pelvis is a great way to die slowly from internal bleeding.

The order of tightening is important.  Tighten the lap belt first -- as tight as you can get it.  Tighten shoulder straps last.

Thanks. Yeah I assumed moving the camlock up onto the gut would be a big no-no. I need to go look again, but I think I could move it up a half inch or so and still keep it largely across my hips. I'm definitely going to have to figure something out. I went and drove the car around for 20 minutes last night and by 10 minutes in, my inner thigh was already in pain.

I think something like that Scrotch Endruo 2x2 would be the best solution, but damn are they pricey. I guess I should have done more research before buying harnesses lol

Siked - Schroth is top of the line stuff...it's what I run in both of my cars. I won't run anything else. Fiddle with your adjustments in the car...first, get the crotch / sub belt set....that should go just high enough that it places your lap belts EXACTLY where they need to be. Like hornet said - that's what keeps your laps in place - it's set's them where they need to be...then work on your lap belts...the last thing you mess with is your shoulder belts. Try to get it set up / perfectly fitted where the only adjustment you are making is to your shoulder belts - it will really save time on getting in - and you will be perfectly spot on. Hope this helps.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 9:57 AM, Captain Buddha said:

Siked - Schroth is top of the line stuff...it's what I run in both of my cars. I won't run anything else. Fiddle with your adjustments in the car...first, get the crotch / sub belt set....that should go just high enough that it places your lap belts EXACTLY where they need to be. Like hornet said - that's what keeps your laps in place - it's set's them where they need to be...then work on your lap belts...the last thing you mess with is your shoulder belts. Try to get it set up / perfectly fitted where the only adjustment you are making is to your shoulder belts - it will really save time on getting in - and you will be perfectly spot on. Hope this helps.

I do the same thing, but have to suck my gut in hard to latch lap belt.  LOL

FWIW, I have the same issue with my UltraShield lap belts being too loose. I've been looking for a solution as well.

4 hours ago, vchengap said:

FWIW, I have the same issue with my UltraShield lap belts being too loose. I've been looking for a solution as well.

30 yrs of married life. No belt is ever loose. LOL

20 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

I do the same thing, but have to suck my gut in hard to latch lap belt.  LOL

Me three! The struggle is real...I've gained the Covid 20...or more... LOL