Hollywood

LIVE #GRIDLIFE iRacers - Hard Times Challenge - VIR

Just had to go mow some grass real quick on the way to the win. What a race, these things are intense!

Was fun to watch.....they seem less accepting to slipangle than the MX-5 races?  (Many more people looking backwards).....or is that just an application of throttle thing?

4 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Was fun to watch.....they seem less accepting to slipangle than the MX-5 races?  (Many more people looking backwards).....or is that just an application of throttle thing?

They won't hold as much, but the way they move between understeer / neutral / oversteer is much more natural. The tire model on the PCup actually feels connected to the road and intuitive, it's just a powerful car with no TCS that gets going faster than FIA GT3 cars with less aero and what feels like half the brakes. The allowed slip angle is probably too narrow still, but you can hustle it way more than the previous tire model allowed. It's getting there.

GMX5 actually feels good in cold conditions being under driven, but at 10/10ths it just floats around with near constant counter steer, it just feels silly and makes the car skate around in ways I've never felt.

9 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

GMX5 actually feels good in cold conditions being under driven, but at 10/10ths it just floats around with near constant counter steer, it just feels silly and makes the car skate around in ways I've never felt.

This is the best description I've read of the MX5 in iRacing. Just feels odd to practice for track days on iRacing and then the real-world feel is so different.

Congrats on the win BTW.

33 minutes ago, vchengap said:

This is the best description I've read of the MX5 in iRacing. Just feels odd to practice for track days on iRacing and then the real-world feel is so different.

Congrats on the win BTW.

Yeah, best part of iRacing is definitely learning the tracks and getting the correct inputs imprinted. The driving itself is a mixed bag, you can definitely reinforce stuff like trail braking, catching slides, and such but the way the tire behaves at/over the limit is where things fall apart and you just gotta deal with it. TBF even in the real world tire manufacturers don't know what is happening when tires get to that point. *Most other sims merely fudge numbers to create a tire that feels and performs as it should. iRacings tire model is an actual virtual tire that they adjust parameters of (compound, sidewall stiffness, etc).