Solo_S14

Anyone know of a clean MK1 Audi TT FS?

A friend of mine, not on the forum, is looking for a clean MK1 Audi TT to use as a dual purpose weekend car / track day car.

The want list is that 99-05 generation, Coupe only, Manual, in the 225bhp trim (I guess they also came in 180bhp).

Ideally without any exterior mods (or easily reversible / replaceable), handling mods are a plus.

Anybody happen to know of something they’d recommend?

the 225 model has quattro and a slightly more robust 1.8 with a slightly bigger turbo (borg warner K04 vs K03 in the 180), the 180 is FWD.  Quattro is preferable, though it's a Haldex based system, which means it's FWD until it needs more traction. There are modifications that can be done to force it at the ratio you want up to 50/50 (haldex controller)

FWIW it's basically a golf chassis so there are a lot of interchangeable parts.

Understeer is a persistent problem, will take a lot of testing / tuning to get it where you want it, it's not an easy task. The usual strategies apply.

I have been out of Audis for a long time now, so not really in touch with what people are up to today, and what's for sale. Mk 1 TT are not really a hot item so you should be able to pick one up for less than a broken miata that are priced ridiculously IMO (I'm just salty I can't buy a POS first gen miata for reasonable money)

Hit up the forums...

Local Austin group TexasAudiGroup (looks like they're facebook only now https://www.facebook.com/groups/394300721981/ ) 

Quattroworld forums

Fourtitude forums

Audizine forums 

I like the old school 1.8T, it was before direct injection and is stoutly built (no issues with horrible carbon build up that has to chiseled off or  blasted with walnut shells like the newer Audis). Oil coking can happen of course as the little bastard turbos run pretty hot, clean it up and get rid of the shit EGR, add a catch can etc. Not too hard to find a good shop (or DIY)  to stroke it out to 2.0, fuel it properly and let her eat a good sized turbo if you're so inclined.  Otherwise if she's in good running condition, just a "chip" to crank up the boost wakes them up decently.  Heat soak is annoying as with most cars in the summer, especially boosted cars. The usual upgrades apply to combat that.

Weird VW/Audi gremlins occur especially at this age of vehicle, and CEL can be a near constant companion. Just refresh everything ...

Timing belt needs to changed every 60k or so (book says 90k, don't listen to it).  Interference top end so if the belt snaps, things bend and break unpleasantly

Nice - so turns out he picked one up, has it all in pieces on stands with go fast bits ordered all around - and he’s joined the forum.

Yup, through poor advice as a friend, and at least some amount of an exaggerated depiction of track junkiehood?  I’ve managed to help contribute to the happiness and financial ruin of yet another, otherwise normal, contributing member of society 😂 👍👍

5 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

Nice - so turns out he picked one up, has it all in pieces on stands with go fast bits ordered all around - and he’s joined the forum.

Yup, through poor advice as a friend, and at least some amount of an exaggerated depiction of track junkiehood?  I’ve managed to help contribute to the happiness and financial ruin of yet another, otherwise normal, contributing member of society 😂 👍👍

I'm happy to see cars like this given some love.  Hope he has fun with it.  

1 hour ago, Solo_S14 said:

Yes, i have joined up here. And yes, i see a fast decline into financial ruin, so thank you for the support haha. I am already getting questioned about all the boxes arriviat our house and the hours spent in the garage. Looking forward to getting out there soon 🙂  Thanks again.

One of those boxes should include a couch or a cot.   you might need it soon. 😉

Welcome to the addiction!