TouchStone

Junkyard Motor

I just got a 2004 1.8L VVT engine from a local junkyard and I'm doing a couple tests to determine the motor's condition.  I tried doing a leakdown test but couldn't get any pressure on any cylinder.  Not sure if I was doing something wrong; if its a bad motor; or the VVT is invalidating this test.  The test itself was pretty simple so I'm mostly certain I did it right.

Also I scoped the engine and got these pictures. Is this just carbon build up or is their significant problems:

2020-05-04_22-38-15_657.thumb.jpeg.111971105688aa3f7d5ae699cadd143d.jpeg2020-05-04_22-37-49_834.thumb.jpeg.7095f45c20484a872640a25322aa1ab4.jpeg2020-05-04_22-37-33_768.thumb.jpeg.d8587a63beeb7be1922dc213df78ca46.jpeg

The age of the junkyard BP has come to a close. If you wanna be about that junkyard life it's time for a k24z3 (yay!) or ecotec (bleh)

9 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

The age of the junkyard BP has come to a close. If you wanna be about that junkyard life it's time for a k24z3 (yay!) or ecotec (bleh)

needs this gif with that statement

DamagedHandmadeGeese-max-1mb.gif

Could just be shiny bits reflecting in the image, but it looks to me like pics 1 and 3 have shiny spots that would indicate P-V contact..

If truly no compression, you can spin it by hand and find out..    put just enough air pressure on leakdown tester in spark plug hole to hear air moving through the engine when valves are open--  and slowly crank engine by hand.   when valves are closed, you should not hear any air and of course turning engine will be harder to fight against the cylinder pressure.    if you always hear air leaking out through intake or exhaust, then you have bent valves.

but also look at the amount of garbage inside the cylinders, I would suspect a leak of some sort--  head gasket or valve stem seals or something..   that's a LOT of buildup.

2 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Could just be shiny bits reflecting in the image, but it looks to me like pics 1 and 3 have shiny spots that would indicate P-V contact..

Assuming stock it's not even close to being interference.

I'm just reporting what I see.  I don't even know what a 1.8L VVT engine goes to. 🙂

15 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

needs this gif with that statement

DamagedHandmadeGeese-max-1mb.gif

This is exactly what came to my mind. lol

1 minute ago, Matt93SE said:

I'm just reporting what I see.  I don't even know what a 1.8L VVT engine goes to. 🙂

Its from a 2004 Miata with just over 200k miles.

4 minutes ago, TouchStone said:

Its from a 2004 Miata with just over 200k miles.

gotcha..  regardless, looks like that engine was burning crude oil and not "top tier gasoline with top end cleaner"..

28 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Specifically the BP motors or are you referring to all Miata engines that age or older?

37 minutes ago, TouchStone said:

Specifically the BP motors or are you referring to all Miata engines that age or older?

All the 1.8s from 94-2005 are BPs, just different iterations (BP08, BP4W, BPZ3). I'm sure there's still some good examples out there, but seems it has mostly dried up. Used to be you popped a motor you just swapped in a junkyard low mileage one for relatively cheap and moved on. Now we're getting into actually needing to rebuild. 

Next time I need a motor I'll probably just be trying to find a good bottom end or basic rebuild and slap SM shop head of choice on it 

There's also this https://treasurecoastmiata.com/c-1074840-rebuilt-cylinder-heads-and-engines.html

Are those pistons or pictures of the moon Josh :)?

Just open it up to have a look..  you can do little harm.. I found it cheaper to buy the complete miata and sell the miata minus engine..

18 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

Are those pistons or pictures of the moon Josh :)?

Probably the moon, full of craters.

On 5/5/2020 at 11:26 AM, cabowabo said:

The age of the junkyard BP has come to a close.

Damn, wish I'd been monitoring TJ before buying a used BP VVT from a junkyard (Eaststreet, so fingers crossed). Too late now....

3 hours ago, Haggis said:

Damn, wish I'd been monitoring TJ before buying a used BP VVT from a junkyard (Eaststreet, so fingers crossed). Too late now....

drago is pretty good about collecting decent examples, Id say the odds are good