KevinDB

Reference for legal work

Looking for a legal reference in consideration of suing an automotive business. PM me please.

May I refer you to associates of mine? Dewey, Cheatum & Howe...maybe you've heard of us?

Friends with these others too:

Sue Yoo

Screwem, Goode & Hart

and then the lesser known:

Dumas & McPhail

***Sorry - just couldn't resist!! No, not an attorney, although my wife repeatedly tells me I should go to law school... LOL***

A man walks into a lawyer's office and asks, "How much do you charge?"
The lawyer says, "$5,000 for three questions."
"Wow, that's pretty expensive, isn't it?" the man asks.
"Yes," says the lawyer. "Now, what's your third question?"

30 minutes ago, El_Tortuga said:

A man walks into a lawyer's office and asks, "How much do you charge?"
The lawyer says, "$5,000 for three questions."
"Wow, that's pretty expensive, isn't it?" the man asks.
"Yes," says the lawyer. "Now, what's your third question?"

The joke is only to point out the obvious, good lawyers are terribly expensive and the outcome is in doubt.

What can you win judgement? What can you recover? What will it cost you?

the only time I hired an attorney was on my house and a VERY cut and dry case of real estate fraud.   it was ~$25,000 estimate to repair the defects on the house.   It took me 2 years and $35,000 in legal fees, only for the seller to settle without ever admitting fault.  The only people that won were the attorneys.  

And that's probably why it's just better to show up with your buddies and a trailer and get your stuff...that is legally yours...and just because you win a lawsuit...will you collect? 

And that's probably why it's just better to show up with your buddies and a trailer and get your stuff...that is legally yours...and just because you win a lawsuit...will you collect? 

So - tongue in cheek...but maybe you need references for "illegal" work...just kidding...it's your stuff...go get it!

..... Brad and I could show up at his place and talk about how cool we are until the guy gives us your crap just to get rid of us.....

1 hour ago, Captain Buddha said:

Bingo. Show up, collect your property. Car not there? Call the cops. There but won't let you collect it? Call the cops, show ownership, show receipts, collect it. I doubt the guy has put a lien on it while it sits untouched. Attorney will be just another way to burn cash, which it sounds like you've already done a lot of (sorry, feel your pain).

Yeah just looking for all possible options now, I'd rather not go the lawyer route but even a letter can be effective in some cases.  Maybe some official looking letterhead will be good enough 😄

Were I a wealthy man, I'd already have buried this guy in legal red tape and owned his business and his family's businesses by now, just to prevent stuff like this happening to anyone else.

I'm going to drive over there when I have time and see what's going on.  The shop is not frontage, it's down a driveway and is gated.  So I will only get so far, but should be close enough to get a visual of what's outside of the shop, and take some photos.

At this point I just want this effing car out of my life.  Had a hell of a time finding any local-ish shops with expertise and good reputation.  Now I know if I stick with this car (assuming I ever see it again) or Chevy in general, it's worth traveling and only working with proven top notch people.  For the time and money lost by now I could have had a solid Katech build for this stupid car.  Which is stupid anyway...but I digress.  

You can file small claims court (assuming you are within the limits) and probably avoid lawyers altogether.  You might make some mistakes, but the judges are typically pretty forgiving.  

If you are going to explore that route, marshal all your evidence, get a good timeline, and be sure you have a defensible position.   All of the written docs, emails, texts, estimates, pay-outs, etc.  For example, what form was the statement to you: "in November I got word the engine was ready and the differential rebuild was also ready."  And did you respond?  Do you also have some form of record for of all the texts, emails and calls? ["I've texted, emailed and phoned.  No response."]

As noted above, you probably need an in-person visit and refusal to return your property.  For example, what if they are waiting for you to pick it up with no charge to you?  You go off and file a lawsuit and they respond with: "his car is ready for pickup as he left it with us" kinda answer?  

Moving further down the list, are you thinking you need to sue to get it back?  Like he stole it?   Or failure to perform repairs correctly?  Or theft of your upfront money?  Does he have a mechanic's lien rebuttal [he worked on your car and you owe him extra before you get it back]? 

I totally get that he ghosted you, but I don't think your diligence ends (or your claims against him begin) simply because he won't talk to you.  If you try to get your car and he won't return it, sure.  But on this fact pattern [paraphrased as "he won't return my calls"], I think you need to try something else as that route isn't working.  

Just some thoughts.  Definitely not legal advice as I don't know squat.

-td

Have a friend call/leave message to setup appointment with shop owner to discuss a "fanthom" large engine rebuild project.  Show up with friends/police/etc. at appointed time.  Otherwise, you can always go with the "You have won a reward" and we would like to present it to you ploy. 🙂

Then there is always the "hot chick" ploy (with sample photo) for photo shoot at his "cool" shop.  This is usually a winner to receive a return call and appointment.  Always fun when you show up in lieu of hot chick photo shoot discussion- hahahahaha

image.thumb.png.d68f5386cdc823cb5d865cba7eee7f11.png

Not that I have ever participated in such things...🙄

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

..... Brad and I could show up at his place and talk about how cool we are until the guy gives us your crap just to get rid of us.....

I love that!! Drink all of his beer first, of course... LOL...we might have to Uber...or get a ride....shoot...let's have a party over there! 😂

18 minutes ago, Max said:

Have a friend call/leave message to setup appointment with shop owner to discuss a "fanthom" large engine rebuild project.  Show up with friends/police/etc. at appointed time.  Otherwise, you can always go with the "You have won a reward" and we would like to present it to you ploy. 🙂

Then there is always the "hot chick" ploy (with sample photo) for photo shoot at his "cool" shop.  This is usually a winner to receive a return call and appointment.  Always fun when you show up in lieu of hot chick photo shoot discussion- hahahahaha

image.thumb.png.d68f5386cdc823cb5d865cba7eee7f11.png

Not that I have ever participated in such things...🙄

Hell - I'll show up in 6" heels and a bustier if you can set this up...and Matt shows up dress the same... LOL... and yes, it must be photographed...this could be the most EPIC thread in the history of the internet!! Well, OK, at least for this website...or maybe the General Talk Forum, at least? I feel pretty, oh so pretty... LOL

Glad you feel pretty!  I'm pasty white cause I've been inside for months, and the one time I did go outside I blew up my knee..  so I'm pasty white, fat, and limping.    you show up in your outfit and distract him while I put a chain around his fridge and yank it out of the shop.  when we've finished all his beer, we can trade his fridge for Kevin's car.

I like it Matt! I'm a bit sunburned at this point...did too long of a topless vette cruise last Saturday...Dani looks like a lobstah! LOL!!

LOL.  Ok these are the best responses.  Much better than I could have expected.  Y'all talked me off the ledge for now.

I'll do a site visit and see if I can see anything.  If y'all feel like making a trek out to bfe (Creedmoor) at some point that could be fun.  Maybe we turn it into a tail gating bbq and beer bash or something in their parking lot 😄

TJ family got your back @KevinDB.  Let us know when you are ready to schedule your free web conference consultation session.  We will work together to form a disturbing yet effective plan to punish the engine builder poser.  He will never harm another engine. 

Our models @Captain Buddha and @Matt93SEstand ready with their impressive portfolio of drinking prowess and disturbing attire. WARNING- your eyes will not be able to unsee what has been seen, and may require radical brain mix surgery to bring you back to any type of functional state after viewing the material. I have been told the cigar brigade will be on stand by to smoke him out and enjoy the party parking lot bbq/beer bash.

Back to reality- I hope you reach an amiable resolution with the ghost mechanic.

@Max - the above is GREATNESS! So glad that I had already swallowed my coffee...otherwise it'd be all over the screen!

I'm down for some cross-dressing, cigar-smoking, tailgating... LOL!!!

4 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

I'm down for some cross-dressing, cigar-smoking, tailgating... LOL!!!

Week 8 of lockdown is really getting to some of you blokes, eh?

16 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Week 8 of lockdown is really getting to some of you blokes, eh?

You've never met Brad, have you?  This is his normal.

It's just your average Tuesday down at the Cloud 9 bar and grill.... that's an uneasy reference for some of y'all... 🤣

Matt - whatcha think? Too much or too subtle? Or just that right amount of "I'm not a hooker but I could be your worst nightmare in a skirt?"

image.thumb.png.c46c5973f9515573b063049127e24b36.png

Given my recent ankle and knee injuries, ain't no way.   

you can keep the red and sparkles, but it'll be flats all the way.   my legs are nice enough without needing ass-jackers.