8URAMG

Bug Eye WRX Track Build

So I have always wanted a WRX. A while ago I had an Ouback Wagon I loved but a trade came up and I traded for a 2007 BMW Z4.  A while after driving that I traded the Z4 for a 2002 Subaru WRX. First manual car... not first turbo but very excited for the AWD manual. So the plan is to do a nasty FMIC and Rotated turbo. My Business Partner is finishing his Turbo Regal swap so once done time for the Fab Work. Here is the car on first day. In the mean time here are my Upgrades and Maintenance until Fab time is ready. Now I already anticipate this being nowhere as fast or fun as my 335 build. But I cannot wait to start! 116K original miles. 

2F220DAF-E677-4231-A93E-8FDAEA836E08.jpeg

1D8700F7-67BF-4880-BD94-0664B923FE9C.jpeg

After seeing this I instantly ordered all timing covers and bolts from Subaru, then hit up Rally Sport Direct for the Blue Gates Racing Kit.  Here are the install pictures. I index up doing all drive belts , hoses , thermostat , water pump , And a Timing belt tensioner bracket that the threads came out upon removal.

D841C3BC-CFE2-40AB-A9E7-95DF2100449F.jpeg

63C9E83F-5180-4092-A69D-77B80175FEAD.jpeg

CEAE78F7-5EFF-43FE-A5A3-FD68F95ED304.jpeg

D096F3C7-C669-4FCA-8959-9B745541940B.jpeg

0E08F175-62FE-4547-A5C1-848B92FFC4DB.jpeg

C8C928B5-F0BB-4933-95C1-FF61D75D3D8C.jpeg

Everything running smooth. Discovered there was a lag so pulled intercooler to discover previous owner did a half ### job of install. So fixed vacuum lines and BOV and now no lag. Changed from stage 2 + to strange 2 on COBB. Running great at the moment. On another note replaced throttle cable ! 

Yes , would have bent all valves and been toast.  I've heard some cases where if the belt snaps on start up you may have saved the motor, but very important on Subaru every 80k -100k change the belt kit.  I went with blue belt because after the my 335i is done this one gets pulled in for the real power upgrades.  Right now its just basic bolt ons with COBB stage 1 91 ACN tune. About 3 more days until the index 12 injectors come for my Bmw.  Back to Subarus though, our shop actually has another Impreza here who's belt snapped.  So they wanted junkyard motor and new belt kit, not cheap for the regular person.  

1 hour ago, KevinDB said:

Ah man.  I had a 2002 WRB bugeye back in ... 2005.  APS tuned with DP and Cusco race coilovers.  

Thing had very nice insta-torque coming off cones in Autox.

Its a pretty fun car , not the fastest but handles amazing.  I dont know how i feel about the cx racing coil overs, but ill do more suspension work before i decide to swap or not.  Vehicle basically just has full bolt ons , catless dp , greddy catback , turbo smart bov , stage 2 clutch with short shifter  , cx racing coil overs and COBB tune .  Threw a step colder plugs in while doing the basic services with new vehicles.  Previous owner said something about injectors but i have yet to confirm..  

Snapped a picture of my E36 and Bugeye together while both were at shop today. The E36 kind of resides here. I have a thread about that one onhere as well. 

1E77C030-99B7-4304-92B4-AE8E262511A4.jpeg

Do some research into the transmissions on these cars. IIRC, 2nd gear is made of glass. Depending on how far you want to take the power, I think there's a sorted swap of a Porsche transmission.

27 minutes ago, Arro said:

Do some research into the transmissions on these cars. IIRC, 2nd gear is made of glass. Depending on how far you want to take the power, I think there's a sorted swap of a Porsche transmission.

Hmmmm... If you find that thread or where you saw it can you share with me please? Definitely would like to read up on that! We have a pretty solid Transmission builder who can beef up the 5-speed for me.. but i have also thought of getting the 6-speed from like LKQ or BnR and then have the builder freshen it up ... Decisions decisions .. 

On 4/22/2020 at 9:42 AM, 8URAMG said:

Hmmmm... If you find that thread or where you saw it can you share with me please? Definitely would like to read up on that! We have a pretty solid Transmission builder who can beef up the 5-speed for me.. but i have also thought of getting the 6-speed from like LKQ or BnR and then have the builder freshen it up ... Decisions decisions .. 

Here are just a couple of threads to sample:

https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/02-03-wrx-problems.134305094/

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334&highlight=2002+transmission+problems

It seems the consensus is, if you don't drive/treat your car like an idiot (clutch dumps, launches, misshifts) and keep "close to stock" power, it should last. That said, track abuse is exponentially harder on components and systems than street driving.

Seems like NASOIC is the place to be if owning a Subaru.

2 hours ago, Arro said:

Here are just a couple of threads to sample:

https://www.clubwrx.net/threads/02-03-wrx-problems.134305094/

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334&highlight=2002+transmission+problems

It seems the consensus is, if you don't drive/treat your car like an idiot (clutch dumps, launches, misshifts) and keep "close to stock" power, it should last. That said, track abuse is exponentially harder on components and systems than street driving.

Seems like NASOIC is the place to be if owning a Subaru.

Thank you ! Definitely a few good reads tonight.  I will have to figure something out transmission wise once more power upgrades.  I'm excited for all the support and roll cage to be welded up.  Don't 't know if i want the Cusco stuff or have my business partner make custom trunk , control arm, under body support, etc.. The cage Im just going to let him have fun with!    

welp.... now is the time to replace the clutch ... so im thinking Clutch Masters stage 1 ... get rid of stage 2 until i pull motor again for build .  Then ill go 6 puck , but in the mean time the stage one Competition clutch paired with ACT Streetlite Flywheel should work.. Clutch kit be here today , waiting on Stmptuned.com to ship flywheel! 

Install pictures will be posted with my opinion on kit with flywheel.

Any thoughts / recommendations are appreciated ! 

4 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

too late for thoughts and recommendations, you already bought the clutch.  hope you like it. ?

I should have been more specific i apologize , looking for thoughts / recommendations for 6 puck clutches.  This is a stage 1 is a temporary fix.  I don't have storage where I live for all my cars so leaving the Subaru and another at my Grandfathers.  He had to move it a few times and I think going up the steep driveway he had a hard time and now its toast.  

So let me update that.  Business partners  Turbo Regal will be done towards Sema ( We are in the young builder competition) After that we pull Subaru motor. In the mean time instead of putting miles on my 335I , i would rather put a stage one clutch in and daily so i don't burn up the more expensive build. Especially when motor can be pulled and clutch kit done with re install of the motor in 3-4 hours.  Perks of the best heavy line in Vegas ?

Hmmm...  

still not sure how to recommend here.  My current car (FR-S) has an ACT 6 puck, pressure plate, and light flywheel.  I don't have any issues getting it in and out of the trailer, but otherwise almost all use is track and the clutch is near new so I can't comment on longevity.
previous car had a 5.5" Tilton twin disc and I still had no issues getting it in the trailer.   
For DD use, I stuck with a fiber style disc and avoided the puck type stuff.  I hear lots of good things about South Bend clutch, and I know they do stuff for these cars. might give them a shout.

19 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Hmmm...  

still not sure how to recommend here.  My current car (FR-S) has an ACT 6 puck, pressure plate, and light flywheel.  I don't have any issues getting it in and out of the trailer, but otherwise almost all use is track and the clutch is near new so I can't comment on longevity.
previous car had a 5.5" Tilton twin disc and I still had no issues getting it in the trailer.   
For DD use, I stuck with a fiber style disc and avoided the puck type stuff.  I hear lots of good things about South Bend clutch, and I know they do stuff for these cars. might give them a shout.

Is it the ACT StreetLite flywheel ?

yeah, it's the Streetlite.   was on the car when I bought it, but I have the engine out now and ACT is nice enough to laser etch the part # in the hub area so you can identify them later.  just fine for street use IMO.   for race only use, I would have personally gone with the lightest offering they have.  maybe I'll switch later, but this one is staying for a while due to budget.