strengthrehab

Alignment shop joyride

58 minutes ago, El_Tortuga said:

More than he needed to, but I'm not seeing this as particularly abusive. I'm not condoning it of course, but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

I agree it wasn't abusive, but also unacceptable. 

Of course the owner of the shop wants to discuss this with me so he can explain to me the difference between a joyride and a test drive (his words). Sounds like he will attempt to justify the behavior. 

Talked to the owner/driver in the video. Yes the shop owner. 

He said the route he takes with all cars has been driven by him for over 20 years and nothing has ever happened and its just how he does it including going 2x the speed limit. 

I get looking for noises and whatnot--in the right environment. A busy city street posted as 45mph speed limit isnt the place...not in my car at least. 

Anyway, be apologized for the lack of communication, at least. 

Case closed. 

Now I have to find another alignment shop.

8 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

FWIW, highly recommend Clint @ Gashead Motorworks and Jim / Conner at MSRH's shop. 

I've heard the guys at MSRH take the cars on the track after alignment? I've never heard of that or confirmed it, but in this debacle, I was told this. 

15 minutes ago, strengthrehab said:

I've heard the guys at MSRH take the cars on the track after alignment? I've never heard of that or confirmed it, but in this debacle, I was told this. 

Not in the years I've used them but I'm sure they would if I asked. Then again I'm usually underneath the lift rack with them.

15 minutes ago, strengthrehab said:

It's not something I'd request, just something I heard. 

Yes, *if requested* by the vehicle owner, they will take the car out for a couple laps and check things over from a diagnosis/repair confirmation perspective..  many of the customers they have at the track rent/own garages and whatnot, and they will just call the track "Hey, can you have Jim mount the new set of tires and then find out why it's acting like xxxxx in T10?"   then they will do a reasonable troubleshooting test drive and diagnose the problems.   

Proper place and context for stuff like that is great, and having a shop at the track is a great place to be able to do that in the proper environment.

the video above?  I would have a hard time calling that a "diagnostic drive", but I also wouldn't call it hooning the car either.   now the liability if said test driver/technician wrecked your car and hit an innocent vhicle/person at those speeds?  well that's up to the employee and the shop owner..   but you can be damn sure if that was *my shop and my employees*, they would not be doing things like that on a public road.

1 minute ago, Matt93SE said:

Yes, *if requested* by the vehicle owner, they will take the car out for a couple laps and check things over from a diagnosis/repair confirmation perspective..  many of the customers they have at the track rent/own garages and whatnot, and they will just call the track "Hey, can you have Jim mount the new set of tires and then find out why it's acting like xxxxx in T10?"   then they will do a reasonable troubleshooting test drive and diagnose the problems.   

Proper place and context for stuff like that is great, and having a shop at the track is a great place to be able to do that in the proper environment.

the video above?  I would have a hard time calling that a "diagnostic drive", but I also wouldn't call it hooning the car either.   now the liability if said test driver/technician wrecked your car and hit an innocent vhicle/person at those speeds?  well that's up to the employee and the shop owner..   but you can be damn sure if that was *my shop and my employees*, they would not be doing things like that on a public road.

I agree in context. 

I'm just suprised the guy said he would have fired one of his techs for doing it, but felt 100% fine doing it himself. 

Whatever, It's over..I will just take my business elsewhere.