Sign in to follow this  
Tobey

Circle track racing - 2020

I was there on Saturday night! Missed your race but watched the later ones.  I'm smitten.  Like, been looking for donor cars and rule books smitten.  Its 15 minutes away from a friends house so I think we're gonna make a habit out of this... will you be there in a couple of weeks?

Yes, I should be at the next race on the 15th.

5 hours ago, Vinnieb said:

I was there on Saturday night! Missed your race but watched the later ones.  I'm smitten.  Like, been looking for donor cars and rule books smitten.  Its 15 minutes away from a friends house so I think we're gonna make a habit out of this... will you be there in a couple of weeks?

I know nothing about this car, just passing it along:

http://www.lonestarspeedzone.com/topic/79915-hmp-eco-stock/

Not a great day at the track yesterday. Started 3rd, and ran most of the race in 3rd. With about 8 laps to go, I made a mistake gong into turn 1, and got passed by two cars, dropping to 5th.

The top 6-7 cars are very competitive. At one point, about half the front straight was all that separated 1st through 5th. So any little mistake can be very bad.

Then with about 3 to go, I had some contact with my right front, and it damaged my tire. It started coming apart, and I ended up in 10th. I have a lot of rubber to clean off the fender now, and some touch up on the paint and vinyl. And reconnect the bumper cover.

But, it was a lot of fun. Very competitive, and fairly clean racing. Some "rubbin' is racing", but no serious incidents. Looking forward to the next race on Sept. 5.

Also, I got asked before the race if I'd take the car to Ellington in a few weeks for pictures with a plane. So of course, it gets all marked up last night. Most of it came off pretty easy this morning. But there will be some paint and vinyl touch up later this week.

20200815_194345.jpg

20200815_194053.jpg

Car is all repaired and we're racing this weekend. 6:00 start time this week.

20200902_095937.jpg

On 8/16/2020 at 3:49 PM, Tobey said:

Not a great day at the track yesterday. Started 3rd, and ran most of the race in 3rd. With about 8 laps to go, I made a mistake gong into turn 1, and got passed by two cars, dropping to 5th.

The top 6-7 cars are very competitive. At one point, about half the front straight was all that separated 1st through 5th. So any little mistake can be very bad.

Then with about 3 to go, I had some contact with my right front, and it damaged my tire. It started coming apart, and I ended up in 10th. I have a lot of rubber to clean off the fender now, and some touch up on the paint and vinyl. And reconnect the bumper cover.

But, it was a lot of fun. Very competitive, and fairly clean racing. Some "rubbin' is racing", but no serious incidents. Looking forward to the next race on Sept. 5.

Also, I got asked before the race if I'd take the car to Ellington in a few weeks for pictures with a plane. So of course, it gets all marked up last night. Most of it came off pretty easy this morning. But there will be some paint and vinyl touch up later this week.

20200815_194345.jpg

20200815_194053.jpg

Rubbin's racin'

Why this stuff always happens in the race, and not in practice....

The Saturn has an automatic transmission. Once we go green, I drop the shifter into second at the end of the front straight, and leave it there for the race.

In practice Saturday, it worked fine.  I even qualified #2, 0.016 seconds behind 1st. But then for the race, the shifter cable must have developed too much slack, because it wouldn't lock in 2nd gear.  With the shifter all the way back in 2nd, the transmission was still in drive.  So I entered T1 side by side with 1st place, went to get on the gas, and it hesitated as it downshifted, and everyone blew by me. And at the end of the straight, it would shift into 3rd, killing my acceleration for the last 20-30 feet. I kept messing with it, but eventually gave up. Those first few laps were a nightmare.  

It took me about 4 laps to figure out where to go back to the gas so it would be downshifted and ready to go when I needed it.  I would use the brake to control the speed at the same time. 

So that was the first 25% of my race. But I was in 4th, hanging with the lead pack. (We race 20 laps, at about 18.5 sec per lap. Yellow flags don't count)

Worked my way up to 3rd on lap 9.  Got trapped down low on a restart and fell to 6th. Back up to 4th, about to pass for 3rd, when another yellow came out.

Again battling in the top 4 after the restart when the freaking rain came on lap 15.  We're on street tires, so they let us keep going.  But my left rear is almost completely bald.  And I had the car set up to be a little loose from mid-corner to exit.  That was working excellent in the dry.  In the wet, it was horrendous. In the groove, where the rubber was laid down, it was like ice.  And so I spun. 4th place to 7th in one corner.

I berated myself. I know how to race in the rain. Get out of the grooves and go search for traction. I found that traction up high and went from 7th back to 4th in a few laps. And that's how it ended.

I won't make the next 2 races. Next weekend, its back to road racing with ChampCar at Indianapolis. Then we will be moving into a new house the weekend of the next race. But I should make the last race on Oct. 17.

Here my video. Yes, I need to make a new camera mount. 

And new this week is the track's video. It was their first time, and it worked pretty well. Race starts at about 19:40:

https://youtu.be/emVLvYBJaks

That was a good recovery Tobey - no wall! I kept on waiting for you to turn right... LOL

Very nice, thank you for posting!

8 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

That was a good recovery Tobey - no wall! I kept on waiting for you to turn right... LOL

Very nice, thank you for posting!

What's crazy is that I never felt like I was going to hit the wall. Then I watched the video...