Sign in to follow this  
Captain Buddha

Thinking about trying the Dark Side (NASA)...

Now come awwwwwwn....that made y'all chuckle a bit, right? So, like the title says, thinking about giving NASA a try for w2w racing. The upcoming NASA race at ECR the first weekend of April is where I am thinking of running. Car will be the Full Monte Carlo (ASA/GTA stock car). I'd rather not deal with going through all of the calculations, dyno pulls, holding my finger in the air, etc...probably just go with SU (and not be competitive, but it's still racing) and call it a day. Looking to get some w2w time on ECR in preparation for the SCCA race there the first weekend in May. Sure, I can run ECR anytime that I want to...but I'd much rather go w2w with some other folks and have some FUN and LEARN from it too. Who knows, I might keep on running the NASA - the more racing opportunities, the better!

So, those of you who race in the SU/ST groups - I'd appreciate any and all feedback. Clean racing, bumping, contact, no contact, great drivers, big groups, small groups, etc? Who do I need to blow, I mean, contact, in order to get my NASA comp license? Current holder of SCCA comp license. I'm assuming that y'all do annual tech inspections too, right? Fill me in on the good, the bad, the ugly, who to watch out for (Lobstah!), etc. THANK YOU!

that's cute, i was gonna say all the ST peeps watch out of the SU drivers.  

you should be able to email Will Faules directly to get a comp license waiver or whatever.    

I'll probably be racing at ECR, maybe ill re-class to SU for the lulz.  

BTW PM inbound with peoples emails.  

Thank you Lobstah! I'd probably class as either ST1 or ST2....but for one weekend, with nothing to prove and just having fun....SU may be the path of least resistance. Then again, I may see how things stack up out there and decide to get dynoed at the shop that weekend and re-class LOL!

2 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

Thank you Lobstah! I'd probably class as either ST1 or ST2....but for one weekend, with nothing to prove and just having fun....SU may be the path of least resistance. Then again, I may see how things stack up out there and decide to get dynoed at the shop that weekend and re-class LOL!

IF you want to run in a numbered class 

There are two ways you can set your HP for classing

One is to just use the peak power and call it a day.    The other is to get the RPM 50rpm breakout from your dyno and use the form (it walks you through finding out your "average" power with a easy formula) 

Go here, https://form.jotform.com/drivenasa/st-tt-car-classification-form 

input your cars' "competition weight"  (the lightest it will be, this isn't necessarily your cars min weight and really should be adjusted based on how much power you have.  

Like it may be prudent to never run below 1/4 tank of fuel to keep your weight up so you set your min weight based on the idea that you'll always have at least that much fuel (and you will blow the scales in impound if you use more)    

however, you do take penalties for things like tube frame, dog box, non dot tires etc etc. 

It will be immensely easier to do zero of that stuff and run in unlimited.    There are some impressively fast prototypes that show up from time to time in Unlimited (and some slow ones) and then a few tube frame howe chassis cars.  

Thank you Lobstah! Yeah, I routinely get the car dyno'ed just to make sure it's making full power...but yeah, I think running in unlimited might be the way to go...I do not want to "optimize" the Monte though, either for NASA or SCCA...it's essentially a "Spec GTA" car if you can think of it that way...it was built to a set of rules and it is what it is...sure, I can easily add weight (I'm already overweight for the class minimum due to ME LOL!).