Sign in to follow this  
Captain Buddha

SCCA Lone Star Grand Prix Super Tour @ COTA!!

SCCA “The Lone Star Grand Prix” Super Tour @ COTA Feb 7-9, 2020

This weekend!! Who is going!? Weather looks great! I'd rather it be rainy, it tends to separate the herd a bit but hey, either way, let's go racing!!

"Dale" is going to be making a special appearance...all the way from Minnesota, eh?

Wish I could go!
Car is sitting in the driveway in 1000 pieces and no damn windows to put in it and keep the rain out.   Need to find me a set of windows to drop in the frame.

... that and no money since I have way too many toys that I keep buying before I sell the old ones.

Those that go watch out for black and yellow corvette it's on the prowl for ramming other cars because of how much rage they have built up inside.  

Yep - Dale is ready! Plan is to let that certain corvette and the red corvette duke it out and hopefully I can slide by unnoticed...looking forward to racing with Costas though!

I'm sure Costas will have those on the menu! LOL!

Last year, Boes and myself were serving up fresh, hot, steaming Lappetizers...everyone got one with the exception of 3rd. Granted, it was crap conditions (32/33 and rain/sleet)...but Boes and I were running TA2 cars...totally raw, no driver aids, no abs, no traction control...it was crazy! WX is supposed to be completely opposite this weekend. Which is a bummer - I like driving in crap conditions...it separates the herd!!

2 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Yep - Dale is ready! Plan is to let that certain corvette and the red corvette duke it out and hopefully I can slide by unnoticed...looking forward to racing with Costas though!

Well hopefully SCCA takes action on that behavior.  

Either it was malicious and shouldnt be driving or the he is completely blind and shouldn't be driving. 

Happy to discuss in length...offline...let's just say that what happened to my buddy was literally deja vu from my race last year at Cresson. That's all I'll say online - as you know - it will literally devolve in a crap show...I didn't even bother bringing it up after it happened...I typically do not discuss race stuff of that type online - nothing positive will come of it.

So - my Homestead and Sebring races? There was a fair amount of contact - one was my screw-up, I fessed up and took my lumps, next day it was my turn to get the contact...vice-versa - the guy and I that had it are A-OK, we raced at Sebring, we are friends, it happens...fast forward to Sebring...another good racing buddy of mine turned into me at 147 down the front straight at Sebring...knocked a hole in the side of my car...he bounced off, rolled the tire off his left rear rim, and other race-ending damage to his car. I looked for him in impound (I didn't know he retired)...he made it there before we were released, he was PISSED...I calmed him down and said "hey, if I hit you, I sure didn't mean too, I kept my wheel straight, let's look at the video" - well, he saw the video and changed his tune really quickly. We are A-ok...crap happens. It's all in how you handle it. And no, I'm not naming names - and don't go looking for it. Nothing good will come of it. When you screw up, own it. When you get screwed...well...the other guy should own it...when it's a "crap happens / racing incident" - then it is what it is. So, to sum it up - planning on a new livery every year isn't a bad idea...

I will be there making my T1 debut...

4 hours ago, jktx said:

What are you racing?!

12 hours ago, jktx said:

Good luck!  I'll be watching Race Monitor from inside my car while I'm piecing it back together.

I politely suggest you avoid any GT2 Corvettes that you may see on track.  I see only pain and suffering if you get mixed up with them.

7 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

What are you racing?!

2009 M3.  Really looking forward to it - definitely ought to be interesting (especially being at COTA).  Still will likely need more time to get the car dialed in but still should be a lot of fun.

33 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Good luck!  I'll be watching Race Monitor from inside my car while I'm piecing it back together.

I politely suggest you avoid any GT2 Corvettes that you may see on track.  I see only pain and suffering if you get mixed up with them.

Ha, will do - and thanks!

I'll be there but getting in Friday night, No practice, no problem, hopefully...

18 minutes ago, Vinnieb said:

I'll be there but getting in Friday night, No practice, no problem, hopefully...

Will save one transmission.. 

3 hours ago, jktx said:

2009 M3.  Really looking forward to it - definitely ought to be interesting (especially being at COTA).  Still will likely need more time to get the car dialed in but still should be a lot of fun.

Very cool! T1 looks like a good class for this race! Our race group is pretty sizable, 40 cars, breakdown:

Class Totals:

American Sedan: 3

GT-1: 7

GT-2: 13

GT-3: 1

GT-X: 8

Touring 1: 7

PX: 1

Small bore guys are trying to shift T2 out of small bore as well.  that would bring the car counts closer to 50-60 in both run groups.   currently there's ~70 cars in small bore, including T2, GTL, and H Prod..   that's a HUUUGE difference in speed on the straights.  There's only a few HP and GTL cars, but I know at least 1 car in each of those classes will be lucky if they make the 115%.. thus mixing those guys with T2 is a baaaad idea. 

Sort of like the differential of GT1 vs GT3....whew!!!!! It's a big track so hopefully it wall be A-OK! We can hope so, anyway!

Looks like they moved GT3 to small bore so Mike Lewis could run GT3, GTL, and GT1 over the weekend.   dang.

That was a fun weekend.  Been working through some new build bugs but we were able to get it going for qualy on Saturday and managed to get P2 in T1.  Unfortunately our issues popped up again and we weren't able to make it to the grid for the race.  The guys were able to get it going for Sunday's race and was able to finish 2nd in class & 12th overall.  Glad to get my inaugural sprint race out of the way!

We were the grey M3 that usually had the hood up in the garage if anyone saw us.  We are getting there!

4 hours ago, jktx said:

That was a fun weekend.  Been working through some new build bugs but we were able to get it going for qualy on Saturday and managed to get P2 in T1.  Unfortunately our issues popped up again and we weren't able to make it to the grid for the race.  The guys were able to get it going for Sunday's race and was able to finish 2nd in class & 12th overall.  Glad to get my inaugural sprint race out of the way!

We were the grey M3 that usually had the hood up in the garage if anyone saw us.  We are getting there!

You did great, congratulations! Nice looking car too!

"Dale" did exceptionally well on his first race weekend...Top 5 on Saturday and P3/Podium on Sunday! Some very tough competitors - the Fall Line guys were tough / yet clean / fun to race with! The Sunday race was just how I like it...slippery when wet! Yep, it rained...call me the "Rainman"...

Here's the race start, it was WILD!

Some close racing! Note that I hit 151mph on the back straight, that's only a few mph shy of what I hit in the dry...

It looked like a surprisingly large amount of grip in the wet     I'm really looking forward to the new surface.    

New surface was money in the wet.  Literally didnt change anything.

Old stuff was a mess.  particularlty T11 and T20

By the time we went out Sunday afternoon we were all on slicks but it was definitely still moist out there and wet line was in effect on the old stuff.  Very fun.  Got my first Super tour top 10s, P10 and p9 Sat and Sun respectively, very happy with that, particularly because no one had rain tires on them for Sunday.  Only folks in front of me on the weekend are national level big dawgs.  Still need to figure out how to trade blows with those guys...

Congratulations Vinnie!!! Keep on driving with the national level guys - that's how you do it - the more you do, the better you do! If you have not already, consider hiring a coach.

The new surface was GREAT!! Very grippy in the wet too!