yoyop

Trackday without hood/temp management

Hello
I have a 300whp 2.5L turbo miata nc with 2 oil coolers, bigger koyo radiator. Battery relocated... on ethanol

During drift day on my local track, I can manage temperatures (Hood is removed, I use the straight for cooldown, I don't drift continuously for 15 minutes,...)

On trackday, however, with winter temp (60°) I can't do more than 8-10 minutes. (coolant get above 240 and oil above 275)
Next step would be cutting the hood to I get a nice airflow thought the radiator. But I love my sleeper look and I would like to avoid that.

I wonder if some of you have removed their hood for trackday, and what are the cons...

I also plan to add a watersprayer. It would be hooked to a relay so everytime I do WOT I get some extra cooling effect

thanks for your inputs

I spacer.pngspacer.png

To be honest (and what I do for my turbo car), detune for track. Assuming whatever you have managing it lets you bounce between tunes with relative ease...

I don't have a reading for my coolant temp, but my oil temp at the sump is around 280 on the track.  I run in 90+ ambient temp. often. 

I have an NC1 without the factory oil cooler, but I have a Koyo rad.

Oil analysis shows oil is holding up to the usage.  Engine at 103K still holding strong.

No hood might actually hinder you.  You want to force air to go through the radiator.  A low pressure underhood area (the point of hood vents) helps this.  Run a vented hood for track days and stock for your sleeper needs? 

2 hours ago, tyhackman15 said:

…..Run a vented hood for track days and stock for your sleeper needs? 

Yes- Sounds like a great idea to me...😉

Proper ducting from the front bumper openings to the radiator will help tons as well as creating a negative pressure behind the radiator.  Do you have a small airdam located under the radiator to help create this?  Also hood vents in the proper location will help this tremendously... typically starts around 6" behind the radiator and extends about 12-18" further back.  Make sure you seal the back of the hood to the cowl because that will actually push the hot air back into the engine bay.  You want good smooth airflow into and out of the radiator deflected out above the hood.

I have 600whp pushing 15psi on my cobra and I don't have a single cooling issue doing so.  My car has ran 40 minute sessions in 90f heat before. 

thanks for your help guyz, I think I will apply all your tips,

I wanted to avoid spending 200usd on a hood. I can't find one cheaper 😕 (i'm in europe, shipping is quiet expensive)

Forget worrying about the hood.  Your first diagnosis is to make sure your providing all the air upfront into the multiple radiators you have and not allowing any air to escape on the sides.  Also on your tune (what ECU),  almost all tunes allow a boost control on coolant temps i'm pretty sure. I'd think anything above 230F coolant should bring it back down to 6psi to help extend your session.  Obviously the tune isn't a "fix", but it will help you stay on track a little longer. 

A little late to the party but good points. No hood likely hurts cooling. With multiple exchangers stacked in front of the radiator your reducing airflow. I like the idea of a sleeper hood and a hood with extractors. If your in need of some serious hood extractors these have been wind tunnel tested. www.racelouvers.com