dotframe

Summer tires damaged in winter?

I'm due up for some new tires on the STI and I had kind of settled on Michelen Pilot 4S until I read this:

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

These aren't even 200TW "street legal track tires".

It's not like we get much cold weather in Austin but I also don't want to have to baby my car or park it just because it's a little cold outside.

Curious if anyone has seen damage from cold weather for street summer tires?

9 hours ago, dotframe said:

I'm due up for some new tires on the STI and I had kind of settled on Michelen Pilot 4S until I read this:

"Note: Tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle."

These aren't even 200TW "street legal track tires".

It's not like we get much cold weather in Austin but I also don't want to have to baby my car or park it just because it's a little cold outside.

Curious if anyone has seen damage from cold weather for street summer tires?

I think this is really only applicable if the vehicle is stored outside when these extreme temps hit and then you go rail on on-ramps for a day....Have run those and other 200tw or below tires when I lived in the north with legitimate 20 degree ambient and as long as they aren't frozen blocks to begin with, it didn't matter.

Plus, you live in Austin what are you worried about ?

41 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Plus, you live in Austin what are you worried about ?

Ya ya I know, lol.  Sometimes I get into a feedback loop of over thinking things.  Thanks for the perspective fellas.

I've grabbed 3rd and got sideways in a friggin Miata on RS4s on cold (~20f) nights where it ended up snowing in Austin, whatever year that was (2018?). Then proceeded to hoon those tires nearly to the cords. You'll probably be ok even if it's not the best idea.