lonestarrpm

DOF Reality

Does anyone in/around Austin have one of these rigs...

I'm thinking about building a system and on paper (and video) like what I see here -- but it's not cheap. Cheaper than most motion equipment, but still not cheap.

Would be 100% used for iRacing or similar to improve my real track driving.

Mike

Check this guy's review out for the H3 (he also did an H2 review). I am strongly considering an H3 or H6:

That's pretty cool looking. And doesn't look crazy expensive, either!

Would like to try a motion rig, but this honestly looks more annoying / gimmicky than helpful watching from 3rd person. Of course, I started as a sim racing nerd then took it to the real world vs the other way around like many of you. Interested to see if it actually helps the seat of the pants feel.

I tried a motion platform at a shop here in Houston - it's a much more expensive setup than what is shown above - The motion does help quite a bit making it feel more real. The thing I struggle with most on sims is feeling/sensing slip angle and I could sense that much better in the motion rig.

My current rig is insufficient for the new direct drive wheel I just got. Motion platform is probably closer on the horizon than I originally anticipated (no need to buy a new rig and it not be motion). May be able to give real feedback on one of these sooner than later.

Just order a DOFR H3 yesterday.  Jumping and building something i should have done years ago.  

I'm hoping it will translate a bit to the real world but we'll see.  Once we get back to more normal circumstances i'm happy to let anyone take it for a spin.  I'm in Dallas.

I've been running a full motion (3 degrees of freedom - yaw, pitch, roll) SimCraft since 2016. It's AMAZING! Almost too amazing! You have many different levels of motion, all customizable, of course...and even off / no motion. The slightest bit of motion is too much for my wife (as it is with many people - have a beer and it can even ruin your night! not mine though LOL)....so, this yesterday she was testing the Pro Mazda at Gateway (Technology Park now)...no motion, she put down some good laps. I got on (still with no motion) and got there as well....then decided to turn on the motion....whoah!! ROUGH ROUGH ROUGH...bouncing all over the place, hard to stay focused! Well, like real life LOL!! So...how much realism do you want? If it's a rough track in a formula car...you're gonna FEEL everything! Especially at speed...I got back to my non-motion time...but that was pretty crazy. I usually always have the motion on. You can really feel the slip though...and putting weight on the nose, etc...car balance. I'm in Grapevine if any of y'all want to try it sometime.

SimCraft-April2020.jpg

On 4/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, XLR8 said:

Just order a DOFR H3 yesterday.  Jumping and building something i should have done years ago.  

I'm hoping it will translate a bit to the real world but we'll see.  Once we get back to more normal circumstances i'm happy to let anyone take it for a spin.  I'm in Dallas.

Awesome! Come back and write a review once you give it a run. I've been tracking more affordable options in the motion simulator space and the DOF lineup is looking really attractive. Might be time to upgrade from my Next Level Racing wheel stand and old dinner chair 😝

On 4/17/2020 at 12:20 PM, XLR8 said:

Hey I just got that one too! I'm in Frisco