Haggis

Suggestions for next track toy?

8 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

the oiling issues on the BRZ can be fixed with a baffled oil pan.  Moroso makes a bolt on one now, so you don't even have to do the mods yourself.

The folks I know have baffled pans. Dunno. There are a lot of them running around, so maybe they're just having bad luck.

On 1/21/2020 at 3:01 PM, BRZ4Science said:

Here's a rebuilt performance package 2017 BRZ for $14.4k in Joshua, Texas: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137855

@BRZ4Science benefits of the “performance package”?

Is it just brakes and sways?

Starting to peak an interest in the Toyobaru, is it worth it to find a “performance package” over the base?

ex. Not that I’m interested in this one specifically, but an example of a ‘16 FRS base, local listing:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Scion-FR-S-d2140?sourceContext=facebook&utm_campaign=remarket&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook#listing=261388905

1 minute ago, Solo_S14 said:

@BRZ4Science benefits of the “performance package”?

Is it just brakes and sways?

Starting to peak an interest in the Toyobaru, is it worth it to find a “performance package” over the base?

ex. Not that I’m interested in this one specifically, but an example of a ‘16 FRS base, local listing:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Scion-FR-S-d2140?sourceContext=facebook&utm_campaign=remarket&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=facebook#listing=261388905

The performance package is Brembo brakes (front and rear), Sachs dampers, and wheels. Personally, I wouldn't put much into going for the performance package unless you didn't want to do any upgrades and/or the price difference in a used one was low (you might be able to sell performance package parts when you upgrade, the stocks you're better off just storing for spares, like if you want to rebuild a caliper, or if you sell the car).

2017 was the refresh, some of the parts for 17 and up are different from the earlier cars. The only performance update was a redesigned intake manifold and air box which netted an additional 5hp, and the newer cars do have a shorter gear ratio which does make the car feel a little more peppy around town and diminishes the 'torque dip' (I test drove one when it came out to specifically look for the dip and didn't notice it even though it was obvious driving mine, which has a header and tune that completely gets rid of it, and a friends stock 2015 with the noticeable torque dip). The torque dip doesn't matter at the track since it's low enough in the rpm range that you're never there (it's annoying for autox and on the street though since you hit it often there). I mostly noticed the torque dip from 4k-4500 rpm when I was stock.

The 17 and later cars also have some cosmetic differences and some aftermarket cosmetic parts are either pre or post 17. Basically, 2013 was the first year and some of the early cars had issues, if you want one make sure it's a great deal and that the major stuff has been addressed. 2014 has most of the stuff fixed but still uses the same coil packs as 13's which tend to fail (fixable with an engine wiring harness update, mine was done under warranty but I don't think many others were). 2015-2016 are great choices, find a deal. 2017 was the refresh, really not enough of a difference to worry about aside from the gear ratio change (automatics were not upgraded, lol). The performance package started in 2017 and has good parts; however, they are still street oriented and not really a full track upgrade (the brakes are actually plenty big stock and the PP Brembos are very nice, I like my AP Racing Sprint kit and the cheaper and thicker pads it uses do help pay down the cost of the upgrade over time). The info-tainment changed every other year and was different between Scion, Subaru, and Toyota as well as some of the trims.

If someone destroyed mine and I had to replace it, I'd look for a 2015 or 2016 that I could get for as cheap as possible (in good condition with 90k miles or less). I'd get an oil cooler, then I'd have to decided if I wanted to do the SSC (solo spec coupe SCCA spec class for the pre 2017 cars) or do the same STX prep I've got now or go full track build. My STX build is as far as I'd want to go for a dual use daily and track car (the SSC prep makes a competent track/daily setup, you can't upgrade the brakes or do the headers and tune but the spec suspension setup works well at the track and everything is very reasonably priced). The car (all iterations) can run at the track completely stock, I'd still recommend an oil cooler and some sort of camber adjustment upfront (along with pads and fluids of course). There's lots of aftermarket support and the FT86club forums are a great place to find good used parts at a discount (also a great place to offload your used stuff when you upgrade parts or retire the car).

A Genesis Coupe 3.8 could be a good option to look into.

Get the 2nd generation with more power and a bit more refinement. 

V6 has good power, lots of support, and tires won't kill you like a V8 car. And the V6 is a workhorse.

Y'all put too much effort into the "thinking" part! LOL...just buy a race car and get your butts on track!! You'll never regret it! Sure, you'll be poor like me...but it's worth it in the end! I'm race car rich, bitches!! While all of the rich folks are going to exotic destinations I'm slumming it at Homestead...seriously, if you've ever been there, it's not glamorous...but it's FUN!

9 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I know it’s not what you’re asking.. I would keep the Miata, get a tow rig and go wheel to wheel..

There ya go! Jump into the Gladiator Ring! Feed the addiction!! Come awwwwww Junkies! Take that next step.......

15 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

Y'all put too much effort into the "thinking" part! LOL...just buy a race car and get your butts on track!! You'll never regret it! Sure, you'll be poor like me...but it's worth it in the end! I'm race car rich, bitches!! While all of the rich folks are going to exotic destinations I'm slumming it at Homestead...seriously, if you've ever been there, it's not glamorous...but it's FUN!

Overthink?  Absolutely!  But, as far as I can tell, both the OP and I already have at least one race/track car, and are just looking to now become further racecar poor (on top of all of the other “poors” that I’ve been warned about - house poor, travel poor.......is kid poor a thing?)

33716DB4-A7A3-473A-88D9-7E40A72ECDDA.png.3fb480da96e738d5ca79b821ebfb58d7.png

4 minutes ago, Dennis said:

I know it’s not what you’re asking.. I would keep the Miata, get a tow rig and go wheel to wheel..

I think I’ve somehow lucked into doing one better?  Found a team mate with a tow rig @joesurf79, rounded up some other riff raff @clifton23, and found a Miata for W2W antics as well 😂

But a guy wouldn’t be “racecar poor” unless he also upgraded the “track car” as well, to fill in the gaps between events!

79BE4497-070E-46CE-A4E9-5184CB1EE4AF.thumb.jpeg.eccab2847b4be07ca27cee9c0fb49da7.jpeg

I think I’ve somehow lucked into doing one better?  Found a team mate with a tow rig, garage space, a welder, unparalleled tenacity and grit, sub par mechanical skill and the inability to stop converting cash to car parts: @joesurf79 (;)), rounded up some other wiring guru riff raff @clifton23 and we hope to get this [email protected] on a podium soon...

79BE4497-070E-46CE-A4E9-5184CB1EE4AF.thumb.jpeg.eccab2847b4be07ca27cee9c0fb49da7.jpeg

FIFY 🤣🤣😂

Also...we need to get the car running. Like for real. March is coming fast.

1 hour ago, joesurf79 said:

FIFY 🤣🤣😂

Also...we need to get the car running. Like for real. March is coming fast.

March is a lot of time.. aiming for Friday before 7 here.. 

634927302_miata88.thumb.jpg.b4b5fa9c1647e47106559876a5846b4f.jpg

39 minutes ago, Dennis said:

March is a lot of time.. aiming for Friday before 7 here.. 

I feel ya! It's been a full on thrash  every night this week to be ready for tech inspection Friday.