Haggis

Suggestions for next track toy?

Guest lobster
2 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

I hear you, door was open, had to take it 😂

well you weren't wrong in the first place lol  

As usual, you TJs don't disappoint!

Great feedback - I hadn't considered some of the cars suggested.

As for budget, I'm thinking up to 3x cost of a well sorted Miata. That probably puts me in BRZ/E36 territory.....

50 minutes ago, Haggis said:

As usual, you TJs don't disappoint!

Great feedback - I hadn't considered some of the cars suggested.

As for budget, I'm thinking up to 3x cost of a well sorted Miata. That probably puts me in BRZ/E36 territory.....

I have a track ready Porsche 964 with a 6 speed transmission in it, 3.8 engine, halo seats and rollbar, $55k.

not its not mine

Actually I take it back.

i would buy a new Corvette C7 grand sport manual. 

I have still fond memories of that thing and won’t get tired of posting this video because it brings up good memories

13 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

Nice Sam, the consumables are insidious and can really pile up over time. I'm in for $28.5K over the last 6 yrs (97 trackdays/37 AX), not including gas or entry fees. When you include those, I've spent nearly as much on the cost of the car (less mods). 

Let me amend my question to OP. Speed costs, how fast do you want to go and how often?

Sheeeeesh.......only $28.5K over 6 years!? Wow, that’s CHEAP!!

Also this car is dynamically second only to the CTR and does not look as silly.

yes I would like a car that is new with warranty ok? There I said it.

Idk what a well-sorted miata costs, so E46 M3 😅

Cheap(ish) if you DIY most things, easy to work on, somewhat fast (okay maybe not), reliable if you get a well sorted one and keep up with maintenance and preventive maintenance, 8200 RPM redline :D, great aftermarket support. Good E46 M3 turnout at events, so if you have issues, there will be people there who can help or who might have spare parts you need. 

The E36 vs E46 comparison sounds in one of the previous posts sounds about right. 

8 hours ago, HDA said:

Also this car is dynamically second only to the CTR and does not look as silly.

Wait, they’re gonna pay ME $50 to do a big dumb FWD burnout on the back road behind the dealership, then drive around for 12 minutes looking for a turn, any turn, before returning with some story about how I’ll “think about it”, it was awesome, etc?

71494428-127F-4EFC-8E3F-198A44E98F50.thumb.jpeg.188d974be3b5ee84982357b316b9ed6a.jpeg

9 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

Sheeeeesh.......only $28.5K over 6 years!? Wow, that’s CHEAP!!

Twice what Sam's BRZ costs and he's mostly within 2 seconds a lap. All work by me except clutch.

I know, I know. That's half your cigar and libations budget. But its pretty substantial to me.

4 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Wait, they’re gonna pay ME $50 to do a big dumb FWD burnout on the back road behind the dealership, then drive around for 12 minutes looking for a turn, any turn, before returning with some story about how I’ll “think about it”, it was awesome, etc?

71494428-127F-4EFC-8E3F-198A44E98F50.thumb.jpeg.188d974be3b5ee84982357b316b9ed6a.jpeg

So when we goin'?

Guest lobster
Just now, joesurf79 said:

So when we goin'?

count me in.  

Any car that triggers that many corvette owners because it won performance car of the year means it must be worth checking out. 

1 minute ago, lobster said:

count me in.  

Any car that triggers that many corvette owners because it won performance car of the year means it must be worth checking out. 

It won because someone said "make a fun car to drive" rather that chasing outright performance numbers - I like their style.

TJ roadtrip / review? I'll bring the race rubber remover and microfibers if someone else brings tire-smoke-strength Febreeze. 

Assuming this is 5x114.3, I think I have some old 17’s with really spent (corded?) BFG G-force R1’s from like 2007 on them, on RPF-1’s.  Prime for turning to smoke + breaking an axle or two with launchy torque steer goodness...

On 1/6/2020 at 1:12 PM, joesurf79 said:

I am surprised that no one including you Hollywood has said CTR yet (since you own one 😉 They're some cooling ducting 18's and tires away from excellence, yeah?

I wish it were that simple...but there's no hope for them in ambient higher than 70 without turning it into a shadow of its stock self. 😪

I am biased to the E36 M3 however, if/when I purchase a new track toy it will most likely be a well sorted miata.

Guest lobster
4 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

This one already has numbers and class stickers on it. Ready to go!

Screenshot_20200108-111409_Chrome.thumb.jpg.d87e7227e650e68379b9ab3c958585e2.jpg

If that's the camaro I'm thinking of its been into the tires at MSRH in the rear  

@cabowabo would be familiar with this camaro was well. 

ETA: confirmed I know who that is.   It's a shame to see him ditch the car.   After its one and only NASA TT outing it was never seen again in our region.   He's a super cool guy and really nice.    

I'm a little perplexed that the class letters are still on the car, I wonder if he was thinking about giving TT another go.   that was almost 2 years ago. 

jfc, he hasn't posted to facebook since March 2018 either.   

I hope he's okay and that the car still has class letters was cause he was lazy and that the car being sold as is is not an estate sale because he's dead or anything. 

update: he's not dead.    

2 hours ago, RCman said:

What about a S-2000

no they’re terrible no one needs those 

7 hours ago, lobster said:

@cabowabo would be familiar with this camaro was well. 

Dang, didn't meet to YEET the poor guy straight out of motorsport.

You haven't mentioned goals and price targets. There are some good options already mentioned for each price range.

Let me throw in another option for a budget minded person. An NC Miata with a built 2.5 L motor if you want around 220 HP or the Chevy LFX swap for ~325 WHP. You still have the spirit of a Miata, low'ish buy-in cost ($10k - $20k) and Miata consumables. 

On 1/6/2020 at 9:27 AM, Dave said:

What are you looking to get out of the change? BRZ will have a similar driving experience. The only way to feel a change is find a car that drives differently. IE, more power. For example, I have to drive tracks differently when I drove my 350Z vs an NB miata. You will change braking zones and having to brake more. Throttle steer on corner exit will need to be managed too. So finding a car that is a few seconds faster will change the driving experience. I wouldn't change cars unless the driving experience changes. Otherwise, the miata is the smartest option and you'll just be throwing away money for no reason. My 2 cents. 

Sorry, I didn't suggest a car other than it has more power. 

Edit: I learned Hallett in a NB miata and I tried to apply what I learned in my 350Z when I returned. It was awful. I had to throw everything away and start over fresh. It was a completely different experience. 

Why don’t we see more 350z’s at the track?

The good ones were 300+hp at the crank, they’re not “too far north” of 3,000lbs, and I think they can fit a decent sized tire stock.

Do their handling characteristics just suck?  Being a Nissan, I’m sure there’s lots of aftermarket support.

And you can pick up a 350z for $5-10k.....370z for $10-15k.

Have I just been blind to them, somehow being plentiful at events?

2 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Why don’t we see more 350z’s at the track?

The good ones were 300+hp at the crank, they’re not “too far north” of 3,000lbs, and I think they can fit a decent sized tire stock.

Do their handling characteristics just suck?  Being a Nissan, I’m sure there’s lots of aftermarket support.

And you can pick up a 350z for $5-10k.....370z for $10-15k.

Have I just been blind to them, somehow being plentiful at events?

I mostly only see or hear of them at drift events, all the guys I know that used to have them got rid of them years ago. They are like v6 Mustangs/Camaros at the track, nothing wrong with them but for the consumables you need you can either run a faster car for the same costs or a lighter car for much cheaper without giving up much/any speed.