robertcope

January 2020 Member Days

On 12/31/2019 at 8:06 AM, robertcope said:

I plan to head out on Sunday, the 5th, to get 2020 started right!

Looks like it’s going to be a pretty day - tentative in with the bike 😃 

looking to join you gents sunday for more test/tune action on the blue Miata. And find out how much power it actually makes to decide...run as is, or re-fresh for MOAR POWARZ!

1 hour ago, joesurf79 said:

looking to join you gents sunday for more test/tune action on the blue Miata. And find out how much power it actually makes to decide...run as is, or re-fresh for MOAR POWARZ!

Bids are starting at 85whp, we’ll know Sunday by noon.

Also, I guess we never posted the vids from last junkie day, but the car ran (5x) back to back 1:55.xx’s on aged 205 width Falcon 615’s, 150psi compression, alignment being “bolt the struts and wheels on”, racer excuse #4, #5, etc.

Planning to do old RS-4’s in 225 width, and maybe some Toyo’s this Sunday depending on how things go, for comparison.

3 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Bids are starting at 85whp, we’ll know Sunday by noon

Ill eat my hat if it make triple digits. 

I'll be taking possession of the 2020 race car at the track Sunday morning. Plan to run it a little bit just to feel the car out if I can..  Robert, can I drop your name when I sign in? 🙂

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

I'll be taking possession of the 2020 race car at the track Sunday morning. Plan to run it a little bit just to feel the car out if I can..  Robert, can I drop your name when I sign in? 🙂

Sweeeeeeettttt! 

2 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

Awesome, and of course... will be good to see you and the new race car!!!

FWIW, I will have to take off around noon tomorrow, which means any guests will have to do the same. Likely you can find another member to transfer to, but I can't promise it. Sorry for the late notice, something has come up.

1 hour ago, bigjae1976 said:

So is this the deal where a guest will need to buy a $150 guest pass?

Yes, a bargain for the amount of time.

So is this the deal where a guest will need to buy a $150 guest pass?

Exactly! Then we run 30 minute sessions, bikes at the top of the hour, cars at the bottom... unless there are no bikes, and I suspect at least in the morning tomorrow that may be the case.

5 hours ago, robertcope said:

FWIW, I will have to take off around noon tomorrow, which means any guests will have to do the same. Likely you can find another member to transfer to, but I can't promise it. Sorry for the late notice, something has come up.

No worries.  that works for me as well.  I have lots of stuff to do at the house, and this thing is currently tuned for >100 octane race gas.  I'm not going to run it all day since that would cost me several hundred bucks just in fuel!

I just want to get a couple/few sessions to feel the car out and see if I want to bother putting aero on it right off the bat.

17 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Yes, a bargain for the amount of time.

For sure! Never really considered these member days before. Now that I live 40 minutes away these sounds like a great option.

For sure! Never really considered these member days before. Now that I live 40 minutes away these sounds like a great option.

While I haven’t seen it enforced yet, there is a catch. The same guest is limited to I think 4-6 visits a year? Can’t remember which.  However...I think the loophole is this per member. Jumping under a different member skirts around the limit. 

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

While I haven’t seen it enforced yet, there is a catch. The same guest is limited to I think 4-6 visits a year? Can’t remember which.  However...I think the loophole is this per member. Jumping under a different member skirts around the limit. 

I was wondering how that worked.  I'll be interested in becoming a member myself if I could get the promotion into out main office which would yield weekends off.  Currently I'm a site manager in the field (construction) and typically work 6 days a week.

Once I get solo'd I'll be hitting you guys up to see what this member thing is all about.  Will help me see if I want to dive into the membership or not.  I figure I'm about two years away from that as it is.

Sorry for ruining the day to you car guys with my old bike 🙂

Is it me or my bike to stiff or I think MSRH has gotten bumpier? I found the exit of the diamond and the ingress of the bus stop to have “new” bumps or holes.

I had a blast Regardless! Thanks Robert!

D76BFE39-7AEA-4161-97EF-84B2C486E11C.jpeg

Dude - we needed you to give us all a breather / “social hour” (i.e. antisocial, data review session) between sets - good to meet you by the way.  And yeah thanks again Robert for letting us come play!

So, I thought I’d share a few things about our weekend:

Yesterday, Joe is getting the car ready, and notices it doesn’t have an accessory belt (i.e. water pump).  We must have gotten lucky, and shredded it during the final session last time out in December (since car never got hot).

But, why would it shred a belt?

2ED875A9-7B13-4963-B403-B13712F57E2B.thumb.jpeg.b99ef28c3a32558bab39137e0f3084c3.jpeg

8AB96C0B-64DB-4535-9E98-29C1BE102EA9.thumb.jpeg.a3aea3e503555882c322acad365e296f.jpeg

3876AA3C-1EBD-43F3-8BFC-4539E5FD9F30.thumb.jpeg.7e92d671c0a39b6dcd8b1e3e888c17c6.jpeg

We got lucky, the woodruff key sheared, and as you can see it bored out the accessory pulley shown (replacement vs wrecked pulley above), but luckily the end of the key indexing the timing gear stayed in place!

So, after some questionable fixes, we decided to compression test the motor:

Cyl 1 = 158psi

Cyl 2 = 130psi

Cyl 3 = 140psi

Cyl 4 = 161psi

(Spec is ~182 or 185psi).

We dropped some oil into the cylinders, and picked up ~+60psi on cyls 1, 3, and 4....but only ~+20psi on cyl 2.

So we did what any logical junkie would do, booked the dyno, and decided to send it at the track.

3B4BCFA9-325E-4648-8D7E-ADB903A37A7F.thumb.jpeg.6bd9153cca91a735298c35128f5e26d6.jpeg

Better than expected actually.  I talked to two TT6 guys last week who were both ~126-128whp, and 108whp is about 20 more than I expected 😂.

We also took the car out on a set of RS-4’s on 8’s, and I actually ran my “Miata PB” for Houston.  I mess up the Carousel in the video, then on the 2nd video, I get that right, but grab 5th at the bus stop, so all in all there were better times to be had.  I think this thing will be fun with a fresh motor, and maybe some Toyo take-offs on a set of 9’s for a “test day”, but I think that for now the focus becomes final tear-down / rebuild before the Champ season starts this year!

Jake thought it was cool when you rolled the fenders with the jack handle. 

20200105_093303.thumb.jpg.c8b15ddd6adde9cef0c5a7b621a2cf6f.jpg

We both winced when the channel locks came out. 

signal-2020-01-05-140439-1.thumb.jpeg.97da911c62e2def4164faadb7844db43.jpeg

And rejoiced when the car made 108 whp and ran a 1:53.5

signal-2020-01-05-100751.thumb.jpg.bbac4382b87f43c0d92b9c918b8d78d9.jpg

Things are shaping up nicely for a fun year! 20200106_094657.thumb.jpg.7342d6ee8fab58fe6462dc16de1bc242.jpg

21 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

We both winced when the channel locks came out. 

signal-2020-01-05-140439-1.thumb.jpeg.97da911c62e2def4164faadb7844db43.jpeg

And rejoiced when the car made 108 whp and ran a 1:53.5

*** in my defense ***

The channel locks were required, only because the car took it upon itself to hook / bend the fender inwards and create its own washboard band....

(sorry @Hollywood 😂)

.....guess a 225 had never been ran at that ride height on this car before...

@clifton23

12 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

*** in my defense ***

The channel locks were required, only because the car took it upon itself to hook / bend the fender inwards and create its own washboard band....

No defense needed. I vote we run a stripe of spray on bedliner to the wheel well lips to 1) prevent corrosion 2) shrug off body contact more easily. 

OMG LOL.   wish I had known..  I was busy talking to Louie trying to figure out all the secrets with the FRS..   but I had a hunk of PVC pipe in the trailer that has cleanly rolled many fenders at the track. I'd have been happy to stick another Miata stamp on it had I known it was needed. 🙂

40 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

OMG LOL.   wish I had known..  I was busy talking to Louie trying to figure out all the secrets with the FRS..   but I had a hunk of PVC pipe in the trailer that has cleanly rolled many fenders at the track. I'd have been happy to stick another Miata stamp on it had I known it was needed. 🙂

Wait - were you in the White FRS out there? Or the other one - that was black / white? I meant to go talk to you guys 🙂

On 1/9/2020 at 3:01 PM, joesurf79 said:

Wait - were you in the White FRS out there? Or the other one - that was black / white? I meant to go talk to you guys 🙂

Yeah, that was me in the white one.  Louie was playing around in the black/orange/white one just to feel it out for a customer.  he only ran a single session since it was low on fuel and he just needed to check it out.

Mine has the Radium surge tank in it and I can run the tank nearly dry..   but when running 100 octane, my day didn't last long at $45/session in fuel!