Goals 2020

1 hour ago, HDA said:

- WRL race in someone’s Mx5

- drive Barber with the 964

- drive a track on the 996TT

- don’t buy more cars

Three of those are admirable goals. 

Random goals for 2020....

1) Get my garage in order. Continue organizing and cleaning. Get a new toolbox and workbenches in place.

2) Get to Barber and ECR.

3) Continue working on the Lexus. I would like to start an engine build for it, but finding room for that is going to be tricky.

4) A good road trip in the NSX.

5) Get the S2K "daily drivable". Hardtop is on order already, which is probably 90% of this battle. It could use a better suspension.

Just now, KevinDB said:

1.  Maybe go to the track

Woah, stretch goal, I like it. :(

Possible:

1) Hit 5 NASA TT events in the BRZ

2) Finish 3 Endurance races in the new-to-us Miata.

3) Visit my sister in CA and tow the BRZ to drive a track out there. See Grand Canyon on the way out.

Improbable:

4) Trim another 100 lbs minimum out of the BRZ

5) One of the Endurance races be at Road Atlanta

6) Comp License School, W2W the BURZ.

7) Join MSRH and get to the track more.

Not Happening:

8) Organize garage

9) Build motor / turbo the NBeater.

1. Get back to pre- moving to Texas weight, as I can't seem to cut enough weigh out of the car.. 
  2. Have Spec Miata 2 race / rent ready
  3. Get SCCA licence
  4. Top 3 Nasa TX
  5. Run Nasa Nats
  6. Run a Super Tour
  7. Finish in front of Vinnie once
  8. Get M3 ready for HPDE

On ‎12‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 7:48 PM, bigjae1976 said:

2. Fabricate my own CF splitter and hood. Doable.

I'm super interested in a CF roof panel. LMK if you want a hand Jae - I'd love to learn!

Had a good 2019. Did 25 track days (7 of those were TT and the rest DEs), Reset PBs 6 times plus 2 new tracks set (ccw ECR 1.65 and 2.7). If I had (4) RS-4s in hand I would be looking at lowering PBs as 2020 goals. Maybe in the 2nd half, or if weather cooperates in April/May.

Car is going to stay pretty much the same. I'd like to get off the Carbotechs (XP12/10) so am mulling over Cobalts in X3-X1, Hawk DCT50-70, Raybestos st43-47,et al. I'd like to be in a better TT classification, but I'm not willing (nor able) to invest in a stick axle in a competitive environment. I might buy a set of slightly narrower tires and rims for better fit in SCCA classes (locally and for regional race here). What I'd really like is to find myself in a really competitive environment with equal (or slightly better of course) than my competitors. My best days this year where a couple when I knew I had to run my PB number to beat out some significantly better cars. But it messes with my head when you know that when it clicks a little for the other guy you'll be grossly smoked. Sadly, I won by nearly 9 seconds driving not at my best and lost by over 2 seconds when I drove very well. I'll probably try a NASA TT event for the experience.

I'm stuck on some tires I'm not happy with until March (or so). So I should take the time to work on some development tasks:

1) Left Foot Braking. It doesn't feel natural when hustling the car. My current technique is right foot always and roll to throttle in a motion simultaneously much akin to rev matching "heel-toe". I use the wide part of the foot for both pedals.

2) Improve the transitions from braking to cornering. Its magic when you can run on the arc of the friction "circle". I'd like to hit that sweet spot more often, and miss with less magnitude when I don't nail it. ECR really rewards trail braking so should have plenty of opportunities.

3) Use ALL of the track. I feel like I do a pretty good job now, but I want more. Sam (BRZ4Science) turned me in to a new spot, and it got the gears in my head churning. I plan on exploring some inside curbs in a big way in 2020. The big girl has soft ish suspension and its a struggle to get her mass through the twisties especially when in transition but any line straightening will help. Yup, I'm gonna take some bites at being a curb jumper. Maybe not Aussie Supercar crazy, but we gonna learn where it works and where it doesn't. Maybe it won't work that well with the stick axle, but I'm damn sure going exploring.

For new growth. I look forward to running the other 4 configurations of ECR as they open them up this year. Spectacular surface in my own backyard. But I want to get back to COTA in 2020, and maybe get to Hallet too. 2020 may be the year I do a race school too. With any luck, I'll have a better plan for W2W in 2021/beyond. When baby girl graduates, it should open up more financial flexibility.

As always a work in progress.

1 hour ago, El_Tortuga said:

1) Left Foot Braking. It doesn't feel natural when hustling the car. My current technique is right foot always and roll to throttle in a motion simultaneously much akin to rev matching "heel-toe". I use the wide part of the foot for both pedals.

Do you have access to a sim? That helped a ton with my LFB. Using it daily on the street also helps you build the sensitivity/resolution of your left foot. Although your current technique is interesting - I've never heard of anyone doing that before.  Do you ever completely move your right foot over to the throttle or is it always straddling both brake and throttle?

1 hour ago, vchengap said:

Do you have access to a sim? That helped a ton with my LFB. Using it daily on the street also helps you build the sensitivity/resolution of your left foot. Although your current technique is interesting - I've never heard of anyone doing that before.  Do you ever completely move your right foot over to the throttle or is it always straddling both brake and throttle?

Yes. But my PS sim rig video sucks. Single screen got me changing my vision patterns to just in front, rather than looking through corners. So I stopped using. Need to get an ocullus maybe because I put some time into building the rig to EXACTLY match my cars seat/wheel/shifter/pedal positions.

Left foot brake 2 different vehicles on the street and some of the Mustang - where situation fits. Just haven't grown comfortable enough.

Current technique is just in transition as I back off pure braking and trail braking and start rolling on throttle. I'm fairly comfortable/practiced with rev match side/side version of heel toe so this started organically. It was never intentional technique development but seems to work OK for me. Tried LFB back in the day and liked it at 90% laps. But when I push the pace I keep reverting or get confused.

8 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

I'm super interested in a CF roof panel. LMK if you want a hand Jae - I'd love to learn!

Sure thing! The hold up is I need to find a place to cure parts in at least 80 degree temps. Might have to build my own large oven...I'd like to avoid that.

57 minutes ago, bigjae1976 said:

Sure thing! The hold up is I need to find a place to cure parts in at least 80 degree temps. Might have to build my own large oven...I'd like to avoid that.

https://www.txrxlabs.org/ might have something?

18 minutes ago, jared said:

I currently have no trackable vehicle.

Goal: Get one!

You can probably find a good deal on a C6 Corvette right now.   😛

Top 10s in Super tour. Looking at 3 of those 

Top 5 at NASA Nationals

Win a race at every NASA TX weekend I go to.

Keep improving in data use/prep/notekeeping

Win a WRL race... been on a drought since last year.

2 hours ago, jared said:

I currently have no trackable vehicle.

Goal: Get one!

NC Miata sir

28 minutes ago, __clu said:

NC Miata sir

or just any miata. they can be had for a tuppence these days

On 1/2/2020 at 7:36 PM, robertcope said:

https://www.txrxlabs.org/ might have something?

Thanks for the idea! I just need room temp to get a full cure which is only a problem until Mar in TX. Plus, that's too far away from.

I just want to get back on track and not have any issues.  Spent winter of '18 adding a second hand supercharger, among brake and suspension, oil and cooling upgrades.  First test at Charlotte Motor Speedway Roval in April of '19 (which is close to home) only to have intake temps at WOT so high it was pulling 3 degrees of timing.  I was three mph slower on the back stretch than I was bone stock.  Parked the car and allowed myself to get over the emotional disappointment to make a rational decision on how to proceed.  Stop tracking and keep the SC and have a purely street car, go back to stock and track, or go another FI route that is trackable.  I chose "C".  That took time and money so 2019 essentially was a lost year.  Good news is the car is ready to go, install and tuning went very well.  Intake temps are no longer an issue.  Really looking forward to driving it with more power while maintaining all of the excellent qualities of the 86 chassis.  Going to be a new learning experience though with 308whp now.  So.....

1.  Get back out and gradually re-learn the car

2.  Want to do some new tracks (Barber, Club Motorsport, and Thompson, Watkins Glen)

3.  Be safe and learn some more

4.  Learn to heel-toe better

5.  Get to fall with car still intact and running well

6.  Off season '20 - just need tires/pads/fluids for '21

Already running late, I know...

1. Finish engine swap
  2. Attend at least 2 points awarding autox events
  3. (stretch goal) attend first HPDE event (in 280Z)

If I can pull that off, then I think 2021 will be an exciting year.

Alternatively if list or life goes pear shaped:

1. Sell Datsun
  2. Buy Miata