hornetball

WHAT . . . DID . . . I . . . DO?!?

That's no Miata,looks like fun.will you bring it out Saturday

Maybe I will.  Need to replace the tires.  If everything else looks reasonable, might as well shake it down in the Instructor group.  🙂

I really like the corvette sticker on the windshield, because I didn't know otherwise. 😂 Cool car, again.

It's a long-time race car.  SCCA in the early 70s.  Then went on to be a drag racer.  Ended up in a field before being restored back to road race configuration and vintage raced (lots of SVRA and CVAR).  Owner since late 90s was Charlie Barns (late 50s early 60s Alfa/Lotus/Ford racer and SCCA FM class champion in 1964).  Charlie stopped racing in 2011 and passed away 2 years ago.  Car has been dormant.

Planning to do CVAR and SVRA with it.  And the Lotus as well.

11 hours ago, himself said:

Oh my.  Who needs to send kids to college anyway?

Hmmm . . . .  Pot calling the kettle?

BTW, I highly recommend the Valedictorian route for your kids.  The resulting scholarships save a lot of money.  Not that I'm proud or anything . . . .

25 minutes ago, hornetball said:

Hmmm . . . .  Pot calling the kettle?

BTW, I highly recommend the Valedictorian route for your kids.  The resulting scholarships save a lot of money.  Not that I'm proud or anything . . . .

Ha! true!  I have 6 chances for valedictorian!  gonna keep my fingers crossed 🙂

-td

Hmmmm....I used to race with a Charles Barns....hopefully not the same gentleman!!

Very cool history on the car!!

Welp . . . let's take a look under the skirt, shall we?

Tires are date coded 2703.  So, 17 years old.  New ones on order (UPS ground).  I wish Tire Rack carried Hoosier's Vintage TD line.

The car has a "Vette Brakes and Performance" suspension installed (according to the records, installed in 2001).  Check out these "bushings":

IMG_0049.thumb.JPG.369bf8a6e5b677b85ca0d5e33971470a.JPG

IMG_0048.thumb.JPG.0543c1682e01fdefa284cca5380670f5.JPG

VBP went out of business in 2018, so I had to get creative.  Spring end bushings are readily available, but I'll need to fab seat bushings from raw stock.  Also have bad lower ball joints.  New Moogs on their way.

The mechanical fuel pump has a ruptured diaphragm and the electric fuel pump is weeping.

IMG_0047.thumb.JPG.a575569dab8acbae21d0da25dd31bd31.JPG

IMG_0050.thumb.JPG.063bbf7e16e1fdc83e4a939d5628082e.JPG

I also don't much like how the electric fuel pump is mounted -- it's the low point and uses rubber hose in the most exposed possible position behind the RR tire.  Bottom line, planning to redo the fuel plumbing from scratch.  At least the fuel cell is new.

IMG_0052.thumb.JPG.c2d7cbfdb93906a862087537a05ebcc5.JPG

Time-honored "wire" method to secure exhaust pipe:

IMG_0053.thumb.JPG.ccc2b2e588adb5022b1bf42df2d23a63.JPG

Anybody ever seen a harness date code this old?

IMG_0055.thumb.JPG.5db6078a71dc6998ab8784da18671220.JPG

Poly drag racing seats from the late-80s/early-90s.  I've got some nice Ultrashields and fresh harnesses on order.

IMG_0056.thumb.JPG.1d60faa52a3c705174140045f6c07d0d.JPG

Scored a cool plate with the car.  It is now registered as an antique with this plate so I can commute to MSR-Cresson from my house (and go to an occasional Corvette Club meeting to set off car alarms).  No inspections for antique cars.  🙂

IMG_0054.thumb.JPG.cb29d79d5ba5c046416e674c5aba79e5.JPG

All in all, about what I expected (actually a bit better).  But, won't be making Cresson this weekend.  Stay tuned for the build . . . .

Very, very cool! Looks like a fun project - and you've got the shop (and skill - from what I gather) to do it! Let's see some "under the hood" photos, please!!

Very, very cool! Looks like a fun project - and you've got the shop (and skill - from what I gather) to do it! Let's see some "under the hood" photos, please!!

BTW - I've talked about wanting an older vette - but it was the performance (or lack thereof) factor that kept me from buying one - but, wow, I'm sort of slow - light bulb went on - ding ding LOL...buy a race car vette...but then comes the vintage racing...because I can't help myself...hmmmmm....Trans Am is owned by SVRA....multiple opportunities!

1 hour ago, Captain Buddha said:

BTW - I've talked about wanting an older vette - but it was the performance (or lack thereof) factor that kept me from buying one - but, wow, I'm sort of slow - light bulb went on - ding ding LOL...buy a race car vette...but then comes the vintage racing...because I can't help myself...hmmmmm....Trans Am is owned by SVRA....multiple opportunities!

So far, parts for these old 'Vettes are in Miata-cost territory.  Even the tires!  They are stone-simple cars too.

I'll get an engine bay pix tonight.  Keep forgetting.

Another red car in the TJ family. 

Here's an interesting tidbit.  Body tag shows that this car was originally Daytona Blue.IMG_0042.thumb.JPG.e8dab72780b9f6f37e1389c01e56354b.JPG

Engine bay.  Engine is your basic Chevy 355 race engine.  It was built in 1995 at a cost of $12,500 and refreshed (rings/bearings) in 2001.  Still seems to run fine.  It is, however, completely illegal for vintage racing BP class.  When it wears out, I plan on building a legal 327 replacement.

IMG_0058.thumb.JPG.6918af0c6877015e15f63286d07d0a60.JPG

IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.b2d4621a4c62fb3b4865344da93cf16d.JPG

IMG_0060.thumb.JPG.27a5b0db23b10afe3e5e0c9b8d3f4aa7.JPG

On 12/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, Captain Buddha said:

If you're interested, there's another guy that races down here selling his Vette.  can't remember his name right off hand, but he's crew chief for Dennis Robertson out of Lake Charles area.

Awesome car!  Brings back memories.  My first job was at a mechanics shop that specialized in Corvettes.  He had a similar race prepared Mid-year Vette.  A '67 I think.  More stripped down and less nice though.  He (Allen Malcom) ran it with the N. Texas Corvette club in the 80s and 90s and probably knew your Charlie.

I remember helping install a similar fiberglass leaf spring back in the day.

Fun times ahead for you.