strengthrehab

Toe plates are in--now to learn how to align my car

I've grown tired of being at the mercy of "big alignment machines" and their "sorry we aren't open on weekends" or "sorry , your car is modified, we can't do it" so I've decided to do my own alignments. 

I bought some toe plates that were delivered today and already have a camber gauge. 

Time to get serious. 

I'll be swapping some suspension pieces this weekend and can now set my alignment by myself. Pretty stoked (until I kill tires for shit show alignment)

I’ve actually never used toe plates - always string aligned with camber gauge as well.....but I hear that zero toe on the rears doesn’t necessarily mean that zero is pointed in the right direction 😂

(think, both 1/8” left still shows zero on plates) - in the front that just means off center wheel, in the rear that can mean puzzled troubleshooting.

5 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

time yourself the first time 🤣

I needed Stonehenge to time my few, unsuccessful attempts. Someday I'll try again. *looks wistfully into the distance*

Just now, Solo_S14 said:

I’ve actually never used toe plates - always string aligned with camber gauge as well.....but I hear that zero toe on the rears doesn’t necessarily mean that zero is pointed in the right direction 😂

(think, both 1/8” left still shows zero on plates) - in the front that just means off center wheel, in the rear that can mean puzzled troubleshooting.

Thrust angle. And it hates me.

2 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

yeah, the rear is going to mess with me. 

For the rear, I'll string it first to see where things are side to side. then even it up that way. 

toe plates are nice for checks at the track, but for a garage alignment, I trust the strings better.   you can better deal with things like thrust angle and making sure the car is pointed forward.

Doesn't @Shuka have a set of these from another manufacturer?

The good:  Hub stands are great when you're trying to do a full setup on the car.  you can reach the suspension parts to make the adjustments because the wheels and tires aren't in the way.

the bad:  corner weighting is trickier when you're running good amounts of camber and caster since the hub stands are only "2d" in their contact point on the scale.   ASSUMING you have equal camber settings side to side, then it's not an issue.   but if you are trying to set up a car to turn one way (lots of guys do this for a CW or CCW race direction) and then get it balanced with different camber settings, then it can be a little harder to do.

The other bad:  getting the car onto the hub stands is extra effort. and if you have to move/roll the car to check something, then you have to put the wheels back on it.

synopsis:  Everyone I know that has them loves them

Gotcha...thank you, Matt. It's really up to the team/crew as they are going to be the ones using them...that's above my pay grade...I just drive (barely)... LOL 😝

I figure though - anything that can make their life easier / setup more precise, the better. They are used to using them from their Indycar days - they had built in load cells, pretty cool setup!

Hub stands are pretty awesome once you get them on the car and on the scales. The latter part is super hard if you only have a floor jack. I found it nearly impossible to set the stands on scales since the car moves so much with a floor jack (suspension travel also gets you.)

Hub stand+quick jacks (or a lift) are wonderful.

21 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

toe plates are nice for checks at the track, but for a garage alignment, I trust the strings better.   you can better deal with things like thrust angle and making sure the car is pointed forward.

This. ^

When I used to string my car, I built 4 wooden stands for the wheels, about a foot high. Made getting to the suspension super easy.  And I had plastic pieces to serve as turn plates. Once I got the system down, I could align the car in an hour or so, including all the setup and putting it on/off the stands.