Ars3nd

ECR Open Track Day 11/16/19

The email made it seem like the coaches will be on the 2.7 and everyone else will be on the 1.65, but I could be wrong and everyone might be on the 2.7 Italian Canyon.

Looking forward to it either way being my first time on ECR at all, but, I think it reads like we all will be on the 2.7.

We have completely re-built, re-paved and upgraded the track and facilities in over the last year. Some portion of the grounds are still under construction.

The Canyon (1.65) has been open to members for the past few months and select groups have run it. 

The paving for the new 2.7 mile (The Italian Canyon because it has a big boot now !!) configuration has been finished, curbings installed and cured (still need a few months to paint). The crews are working daily to finish the curbing, track edge work and updates around the clubhouse.

Things are coming together and getting very exciting -- but still work to do ! 

As a participant of our first Open Track Day on the new Eagles Canyon 2.0, you will be one of the very first drivers to experience the new Italian Canyon track. It will be very 'green' asphalt, so make sure you follow directives from staff and instructors – we will work hard to make it a great day and keep things safe. 
Bring your helmet, tech form and driver’s license to the registration table in the ECR Clubhouse beginning at 6:45 AM.

You're right, looks like it'll be the 2.7 for everyone. That's exciting. The back section has some elevation and sections that'll be interesting.

The 2.7 is awesome, I went out there today to go through the instructor training and do a few laps and it was a blast. I didn't have my camera fully charged, so I only got the first session (I didn't know we'd be getting more than a parade lap session before I showed up). The new back section is way better than the old configuration and has a great flow. Here's the video from the first session, I picked up another quarter second in the second session (I'm sure I'll find much more time tomorrow).

Track is a blast, very smooth and lots of grip everywhere.  The new sections feature 2 butt clenching turns T6/T7 that are over 100 mph.  Overall I found the lengthened layout to be about 10-11 seconds longer than the old config.  I ran a 2:07 on the new config vs. 1:56 on the old bumpy config.

On 11/17/2019 at 10:10 AM, CosmosMpower said:

Track is a blast, very smooth and lots of grip everywhere.  The new sections feature 2 butt clenching turns T6/T7 that are over 100 mph.  Overall I found the lengthened layout to be about 10-11 seconds longer than the old config.  I ran a 2:07 on the new config vs. 1:56 on the old bumpy config.

Had an absolute blast and the track folks bent over backwards to make it a great time with a great lunch, too!  Agree with everything above but the grip for those that weren't on slicks.  I'm sure the grip will improve with more rubber, less dirt / dust.  Same set up in similar air / sun loading showed considerable more grip and resultant tire wear at MSRC a week or so ago...and I was on 100TW DOT Goodyears, so, not usually a lower grip tire.

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:10 AM, CosmosMpower said:

Same delta for me 2:15 vs 2:04 on the old=11 seconds. I figured we will definitely narrow the gap as we get used to it. I've dropped 5 seconds on the 1.65 since it opened.

I'm 2:16 new vs 2:06 old, so 10s for me too. There's probably another 2-3s for me to find though, so I could see that delta dropping (I probably left 1-1.5s on the table from the old course).

3 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

Same delta for me 2:15 vs 2:04 on the old=11 seconds. I figured we will definitely narrow the gap as we get used to it. I've dropped 5 seconds on the 1.65 since it opened.

Yep I think there is about another 1-2 seconds out there for me, I had a 170 pound passenger on my fast lap of the day.  I think it will get do to around 9-9.5 seconds delta in the end depending on how daring you are in T6-7.  I almost crapped myself looking down between T6/7 and my speedo said 102. If I can get down to 2:04 on fresh tires I'll be happy.

4 hours ago, RUQWIKR said:

Had an absolute blast and the track folks bent over backwards to make it a great time with a great lunch, too!  Agree with everything above but the grip for those that weren't on slicks.  I'm sure the grip will improve with more rubber, less dirt / dust.  Same set up in similar air / sun loading showed considerable more grip and resultant tire wear at MSRC a week or so ago...and I was on 100TW DOT Goodyears, so, not usually a lower grip tire.

I did the first 2 sessions on some really old street tires and I thought the grip was pretty decent and consistent around the whole track.  I was worried it would be good on the short track and people would go flying off in the new section but that wasn't the case.

I love the angry tirade in this video, there were some REALLY bad drivers in the instructors group that shouldn't be out there, I feel this guy's pain.  Off the top of my head:

GT-R girl - holding up a train of sub 200 hp cars and then blasting down the straights with 600+ hp

Old vintage race car thing that went out the first few sessions putting along blocking the whole track and then lost a wheel

A guy in a Miata tracked out to the left edge on T5 and pointed me left (into the grass) and then pulled to the middle of the track and pointed me over his roof to the right.

Some other really slow cars that just generally had no awareness of faster traffic.  BRZ4Science and a few others did a great job watching mirrors and pointing by as needed.

That was hard to watch...I was taught early on (once I decided that I wanted to go w2w) that you've gotta HIT IT n GIT IT once you are on track...you don't WAIT for tires to come to you...you MAKE them come to you! Get used to sliding around.... So - that said - if you ever have issues, go talk to Flack and have him do a little education to the offending party for you.

10 minutes ago, Captain Buddha said:

That was hard to watch...I was taught early on (once I decided that I wanted to go w2w) that you've gotta HIT IT n GIT IT once you are on track...you don't WAIT for tires to come to you...you MAKE them come to you! Get used to sliding around.... So - that said - if you ever have issues, go talk to Flack and have him do a little education to the offending party for you.

Yep, the problem is a lot of these folks were driving like this with fully warmed up tires about 4 laps into the green flag.  I don't feel safe driving in the red group with people like that on track.  They shouldn't be instructing, they should be in blue with an instructor in the right seat.  I'd guess i'm not the only one that feels this way from our group on Sat.

I tend to agree with the above....

I look at it this way...if you're going to instruct at a track then you really better know that track...at speed, online, offline, etc....whether you're in a shitbox or an F1...whatever it is...you should be driving it HARD! Just my take.

One of the GTR lady's students complained about her instruction too, said she encouraged bad point-bys, taught the wrong line, and discouraged threshold braking (basically countered nearly all the points I made in the classroom session). I encouraged her to email Brad, she had a different instructor the last session or two since GTR lady also left early (I don't think Brad asked her to leave, but she definitely doesn't need to be on the list in the future and should probably be demoted down to blue with an instructor).

I knew most of the other drivers but there were a couple "instructors" that I didn't recognize, the Can-am thing was a member (they drove with the instructors and many members shouldn't drive with instructors). Usually our instructor groups are great, with everyone watching the mirrors and doing their best to keep from holding anyone up; however, this was the worst behaved instructor group (as far as point-bys and on track behavior) that I've seen in a long time. We'll definitely have a conversation before the December 14th event about instructor group expectations.

I'd bet that there are a few changes for the December 14th event to help smooth things out (it was the first OTD after the relaunch). Also, a number of people got comfortable and fast over long periods of time with the other courses, so with the new configuration you really saw the difference between the adaptable drivers and the memorization focused people. I know that the first day on the 1.67 there were some usually fast and confident drivers who took a day or two to get comfortable and find their speed and I wouldn't be surprised if the same happens with the 2.7 (which will probably be the main course for awhile).

Looking forward to the future of ECR for sure! I had a good time and got lucky with Bob as my instructor. He gave tons of great advice, and i tried to do what I could to apply them when I got approved to go solo for my last session of the day. I know we talked about it briefly @BRZ4Science towards the end of the day, and I got beat by my buddy's ND :P, but it was a great time. I really need to find my confidence for Turns 6/7, and after running the full course, i can confidently say that at speed, running this course in the opposite direction is going to be insane. Here's my quickest lap of the day, definitely tons and tons of time left to get out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fqGoJhyARg

(in case anyone doesn't know; this was designed to work at 6 tracks in one! short track and back track can operate independently, and all configurations work in both directions.)

2 hours ago, CosmosMpower said:

I did the first 2 sessions on some really old street tires and I thought the grip was pretty decent and consistent around the whole track.  I was worried it would be good on the short track and people would go flying off in the new section but that wasn't the case.

It was definitely fun and will get better and better.  The good news about lack of full grip, at least for me, was that I thought I'd be done on this set of tires (16 HC's front, 21 HC's rear before) - I couldn't hardly see any wear from what I started with Saturday morning!  I did find the grip even around the track except where folks were dragging dirt onto it from going a wheel or more off.

Yellow Group was not real good in first session with point by's.  After that, I lined up first or near first for the rest of the sessions and had a much better time.  I only pointed by the Challenge Ferrari and then a dark grey C7 Z06 / Z07 on the long back straight - who immediately over drove trying to stay ahead of a "lowly" SS 1LE.  Two corners later, he had done two 2-wheels off's - let me by, and disappeared quickly behind me.

Enjoyed it enough to have already signed up for the 12/14 2.7 OTD.

On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 3:51 PM, CosmosMpower said:

I love the angry tirade in this video, there were some REALLY bad drivers in the instructors group that shouldn't be out there, I feel this guy's pain.  Off the top of my head:

GT-R girl - holding up a train of sub 200 hp cars and then blasting down the straights with 600+ hp

Old vintage race car thing that went out the first few sessions putting along blocking the whole track and then lost a wheel

A guy in a Miata tracked out to the left edge on T5 and pointed me left (into the grass) and then pulled to the middle of the track and pointed me over his roof to the right.

Some other really slow cars that just generally had no awareness of faster traffic.  BRZ4Science and a few others did a great job watching mirrors and pointing by as needed.

Red was combo of both instructors and white entrants. Bad behavior in both. The GTR was the most egregious. example. At least the can am thing was just slow and would point after a couple of  passing zones, albeit he also pointed in non-passing zones.

Not to the extent of the examples quoted, but I'm the black Mustang at 11. Yep, I missed the P-car for 1 straightaway (thought my  student was lined up in grid and I got confused that I might have been out in yellow session).So I promptly gave the pass T2-T3. Not sure that makes me "CLUELESS!! CLUELESS!!!"

Who is in the right hand seat here? Not sure anyone is being done a favor to cultivate an immediate rage reaction if you don't get an immediate point-by. Its going to happen in DEs. Might be a better approach to chill out and take a lap to work through traffic.