Jump to content
El_Tortuga

PS-4s or F3s?

Recommended Posts

I can't get RS-4s for a while and am in need of big x wide (19x11 rim) tires that will comfortably last 10 track days or so with my heavyweight Mustang. In my preferred size (305/30/19) a couple options would appear to be Michelin PS-4s (300tw) and Goodyear F1 Supercar 3s (220 TW). Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Paladin said:

I would be interested as well if you can post it here

Look at eBay for 305 30 19 Michelin Sport Cup 2 from Priority Tire.  He has pairs new for $475 shipped.  About half price.  I haven’t bought from them.  The part number is not the N0 Porsche version though.

Share this post


Link to post

Tires at half price; there has to be a massive catch there. Are they used? Super old? Stolen?

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Paladin said:

looking at it they are from 2016 which is fine if stored properly

Tire rack was selling older, like that, Goodyear Supercar 3's for the SS 1LE sizes - lots of guys bought cheap and said they tracked fine.  I agree, if stored properly.  Guessing on his amount of positive feedback on eBay, probably should work out okay.  Let us know if you get a pair (or two or more).

Share this post


Link to post

FWIW, I sold some ~3yr old Hoosier A7s to a friend a while back, and he wound up finishing 2nd or 3rd in his TT class at NASA nats..  so that should tell you how well "old" tires can do.

(yeah, I wonder if he'd have won if he used fresh new tires... ha.)

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/31/2019 at 11:07 AM, Matt93SE said:

FWIW, I sold some ~3yr old Hoosier A7s to a friend a while back, and he wound up finishing 2nd or 3rd in his TT class at NASA nats..  so that should tell you how well "old" tires can do.

(yeah, I wonder if he'd have won if he used fresh new tires... ha.)

who?

 

edit nvm, "a while back"

Share this post


Link to post
23 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Seriously tho, what's up with the RS4 shortages in 2019 (and 2018 for that matter)?

 

Sucks. They only do 1 batch per year. Supposedly doubled 2018 order but they ran out about the same time (july). Last batch became available in late March. Guess I'll be order 6 tires this year. I picked up a set of Bridgestone S0007As as they were just over a grand for the set and I'm hoping I can make them last until RS-4 time.

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, El_Tortuga said:

Sucks. They only do 1 batch per year. Supposedly doubled 2018 order but they ran out about the same time (july). Last batch became available in late March. Guess I'll be order 6 tires this year. I picked up a set of Bridgestone S0007As as they were just over a grand for the set and I'm hoping I can make them last until RS-4 time.

I couldn't believe it but I found myself purchasing a set of NT01s the other day because of this, which I haven't run since...probably 2009? Just amazes me that Hankook nails it with the RS4, demand skyrockets, and they don't capitalize or scale at all.

Share this post


Link to post

I’d be interested to understand how their supply chain works.  Assuming that they don’t actually own the facility where the tires are made, and just own the IP on the compound + design, then I’d also assume that booking capacity once a year for a run would be, like, 30% the cost of booking smaller batches on short notice.  

On that assumption, the combo of canabalizing next years orders with a high cost run, risk of stranding some of the run, and potentially even being upside down on a small run, I assume it just makes sense to sit back and count their cash from this year, sponsor another drift car, make another YouTube commercial, etc 😂

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

I’d be interested to understand how their supply chain works.  Assuming that they don’t actually own the facility where the tires are made, and just own the IP on the compound + design, then I’d also assume that booking capacity once a year for a run would be, like, 30% the cost of booking smaller batches on short notice.  

On that assumption, the combo of canabalizing next years orders with a high cost run, risk of stranding some of the run, and potentially even being upside down on a small run, I assume it just makes sense to sit back and count their cash from this year, sponsor another drift car, make another YouTube commercial, etc 😂

 

96FA89CC-3D01-4124-977F-69DADEBD5B13.gif

217BB252-EE7A-4C65-BB26-3B3020BDE473.gif

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 6:27 AM, Hollywood said:

 

96FA89CC-3D01-4124-977F-69DADEBD5B13.gif

 

Veruca Salt! Love me some Louise Post action.

Also, can I has some more RS4s? Need some 225 45 15s. Anyone have some in wrappers they don't need?

Share this post


Link to post

Hankook makes some DOT "slicks" Z214  in my size 315/30/18  @ 295 a tire.   

thats not bad at all, does anyone know where they stack up between Toyo RR and Hoosier R7? 

 

I assume they'll be closer to the Proxes RR than the R7 performance wise. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Z214 should be closer to an R7, I think. Actually, there are two compounds, I believe... one like an R7 and one like an A7.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, robertcope said:

Z214 should be closer to an R7, I think. Actually, there are two compounds, I believe... one like an R7 and one like an A7.

 

oh wow i had no idea, they may be worth checking out for race weekends.   No sense in wasting hoosiers as "so far" ST2 hasn't been the pinnacle of competitiveness.   I'm hoping that changes tho. 

    Same reason I'm really liking the idea of RR's being a 100TW tire this season. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, lobster said:

    Same reason I'm really liking the idea of RR's being a 100TW tire this season. 

I just ordered some Toyo RRs, are they not as sticky as other 40 tw  offerings? Hoosiers standing alone at the top of the performance heap seems to be the concensus, but conditions being equal,  the RRs  are going to be (should be?) faster than say the 100tw RC-1s,  NT01s or the R888Rs ?

VALIDATE MY SPEND lol

Share this post


Link to post

RR's are faster than R888R or NT01  

they are also slower than R7, this year NASA considers them a 100TW tire and gives you a .6 bump  

Which that is pretty substantial.   It may be prudent to run a lot lighter and just use RR's  

RR's have proven to me to be pretty consistent & when they start getting tired towards the end of a session they're pretty progressive and controllable when they let go. 

full disclosure I'm not an expert,  I just ran sticker RR's at TMS and then ran the same set for like 30 heat cycles.  (they never corded btw which is pretty damn amazing)  I actually took them off my wheels yesterday.    they're spent but I bet i could of gotten 1 or 2 more cycles out of them.    

So my experience with that tire is limited.  

 

Share this post


Link to post

Rad.

TT4 debut at Houston in January with NASA will be on RRs. I'm  underpowered at the car's current weight, but refuse to remove my non compliant suspension parts to run TT5. So I'll get my feet wet and get my @$$ handed to me on fresh RRs :P 

I'm scheming cutting another 100 + lbs from the BRZ (and 30 from myself this year haha) but I'll still have even more to cut to get down to 12.0 lbs / 1 hp.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...