Sign in to follow this  
Hollywood

Edge Addicts Triple Play - Nov 16, 17, 18

14 minutes ago, jazztrip said:

They are/were Ferodo DS1.11 pads.  This is the third set I've used this year and I got similar results with the other sets.  Three days reduces the pads to less than 50% of material remaining (= 2+mm per day).  I used to use PFC08's and would get five days on them.  So far, the DS1.11's are much kinder to my (Sebro) rotors, which is the reason I switched.  Here is a photo from the previous set.

Queue brake pad debate and braking technique critique. 

fullsizeoutput_56e.jpeg

The DS1.11's are what I use, but I get about a dozen days with a set, I'd look into ducting or a higher temp pad if I was burning through pads at the rate you are. You are looking at less than 3hrs of life, that's indicative of a problem.

Yeah, I need to investigate better cooling.  Right now, I'm using GT3 ducts which is better than stock but not good enough.  I've applied brake temp paint to the rotors a couple times this year (at COTA and MSR) and consistently run at 1,400 degrees F.  Brake performance is still good, but as noted, brake life is not so good.  I think more ducting will be the primary thing on the to-do list this winter.

You might look into inline brushless motor fans to also help - they really help on short tracks - ie the Canyon 1.65 at ECR, the short MSR tracks, etc...longer straightaways mean more cooling but when you don't have that and you are on the brakes a BUNCH then those fans can help. I run them on my cars.