Hollywood

2008 S2000 CR (My Blue Heaven)

3 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

that's where I was going with my thoughts.  I was in a hurry and didn't verbalize the whole thought process.

So routing the top actually made it all worse, the way the car feeds the belt to the mount just wasn’t making sense until I did it. It’s crazy how something so simple is so complicated when you don’t take a step back. Turns out, all I needed to do was route the bolt mount near the door (left leg) through the seat opening, feeding the rest through the upper opening and tada. Fits perfect. So thank you Matt & Austin for helping me mentally work this over until it was right. Huge relief as the stock seat sucks for track use..

100D34DE-6C4C-4EAE-B3F5-8B49B149B686.jpeg

Nice.  

Is this the large or XL version?   whenever I get the next race car, I want to ensure it has a halo seat.  would like to try to sit my butt in yours sometime and see if I like it if you don't mind.

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

Nice.  

Is this the large or XL version?   whenever I get the next race car, I want to ensure it has a halo seat.  would like to try to sit my butt in yours sometime and see if I like it if you don't mind.

This is the regular version, which is, how do I say this lightly, fucking tiny. I'm a 30 waist and when I had a full suit on this thing was like a suction cup. I do have an XL in storage I can bring to MSRH one weekend. It fit all members of our WRL team with no issues. Roughly around the same width as the OMP HTE-R we had.

Guest lobster
2 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

This is the regular version, which is, how do I say this lightly, fucking tiny. I'm a 30 waist and when I had a full suit on this thing was like a suction cup. I do have an XL in storage I can bring to MSRH one weekend. It fit all members of our WRL team with no issues. Roughly around the same width as the OMP HTE-R we had.

I just picked up a shiny new HTE-R for my car.   it fits me snuggly and im not a large person at all.   Hard to imagine any seat being smaller width wise than that. 

36 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

It fit all members of our WRL team with no issues. Roughly around the same width as the OMP HTE-R we had.

Joe and I both fit in the HTE-R seat (test fit, haven’t driven yet), and I’d assume we are both ~34-36 waist?

OK thanks.   definitely too skinny for me then!  I'm a fatty..  40" waist, need a 17" seat, maybe a 16".   I keep making plans to get myself in shape and lose the 75lb I need, but then running hurts every joint in my body below my shoulders, so I dull the pain with cheeseburgers and beer. ?

For bushings I've heard bad stories about longevity of spherical bearings for a daily driver. Hopefully the brand that you are looking at are high quality and can handle the continuous duty. Have you considered a hard rubber replacement instead? I put the N-spec Mugen bushings on the Integra and they have been great. Not sure if Mugen do similar for the S2000? Worth consideration.

1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

OK thanks.   definitely too skinny for me then!  I'm a fatty..  40" waist, need a 17" seat, maybe a 16".   I keep making plans to get myself in shape and lose the 75lb I need, but then running hurts every joint in my body below my shoulders, so I dull the pain with cheeseburgers and beer. ?

Lol - I hear the ticket is actually swimming.....Although I straight up drown every time I try to get the breathing right 

sk2gang.thumb.jpg.cb55c106211f5be0f3d14d796c82ea5d.jpg

3 day, 3 configs of Cresson was amazing. The old gang was back and driving the S is just such a dream on the track. Every lap was exploring the platform more and more, getting away with murder in some cases. The gearing and transmission of this car are just...perfect.

Of course a weekend could not be without issues, and two major issues cropped up right away. The largest being...

Brakes. Despite 6+ bleeds (gravity, vacuum, human assist), new lines/pads/rotors, pedal feel was terrible after the switch. Bled the VSA assembly twice with John Wallace's help. Took apart rear caliper that was a bit sluggish, cleaned it, reassembled...no luck. Firm pedal was there when the car was off and not under vacuum...but the moment the ignition was on, pedal was a mushy mess - after priming it would hold pressure for a moment but never truly make firm "contact" with the pads. On track, this meant applying firm brake pressure gave about 60-70% brake force before continuing to sink and then engaging ABS. Pain - in - the - ass. Braking in the dark, priming the pedal with two or three left foot brakes prior to a heavy brake zone (like tapping for pad knock back but harder). On the plus side, I spent the whole weekend learning to brake in an entirely new way. So yay for new things. By the end, with Wallace's help, we suspect a bum ring/seal in the master cyl. Replacement ordered. 

Oil Clouds! Obviously a known issue that finally presented itself when I slapped some NT01s on and the lateral sustained gs came up. I was laying down 100 yard smoke screens as I have no catch can setup.

Capped PCV for quick fix and routed the vent to a temporary catch. It was nuts, this thing was filled half-way after each session. Obviously a permanent solution en route but gotta say, this lil' bit of beer engineering did the trick just fine.

IMG_7640.jpg.d960959d108b2ba68fd9c5bdfc95fbe4.jpg  IMG_7639.jpg.a7ed8d56aaf0acb4da78f0926f62f9af.jpg

Still waiting on OEM master cyl replacement to arrive, was on back order. About to purchase either Recaro/Bride bucket seat (not full containment because not-racecar) and get that on rails. The fixed full containment was good for a laugh but not what I'm going for in this whip.

Also ordered this badboy! 70 fl oz capacity vent to atmosphere catch can setup. I will miss the POM setup.

IMG_0606_5df085ea-d16b-4145-b9a0-34c568006acd_1024x1024.jpg

Update, wish I had more time on weekends: 

After 15+ bleeds (vacuum, gravity, and two man), three flushes, and replacing the master brake cylinder twice, I'm 80% sure I found the culprit for the awful soft pedal: a stuck / totally fubar'd caliper piston. And wouldn't it figure it's on the one corner I never took apart and looked at while at the track. I'll know more when I swap out calipers over the weekend but confidence is high. While the pads are not as tapered as I would expect from three days of DE use with a lazy piston, the fact that only one portion of the piston coming into contact and/or sticking would explain the erratically soft response. While I've seen some stuck pistons before, I've never seen one that was shoved off-center?

IMG_8354.thumb.jpg.6e5e094b609e891ab58011738b9c6632.jpgIMG_8355.thumb.jpg.227cde7312d0bd41e588fbfe6fa8db85.jpg

While the master cyl was old and gunky (and its possible some debris entered the chamber when bleeding with the pedal all the way to the floor like a ding dong), I think it was still good. I managed to install the new OEM replacement ontop of the old seal, however - since I wasn't paying attention (old seal decided to stick to the booster).

IMG_8339.thumb.jpg.106dcb6273e24d7374dd19e3f1e705f1.jpgIMG_8335.thumb.jpg.605ae85cd23d54b30153b0a8d08e6ba8.jpg

IMG_8341.thumb.jpg.e62c0cad3364b56a72d2c1852977cebe.jpg

Bride seat is ricer as hell and I love it. This thing sits low. Awesome design. The seat rails are worth the price.

IMG_8322.jpg.4f5d3e1be30ef6db7ba4ced06edc7086.jpg

IMG_8326.jpg.21339e65b1c70d79f7885eb8839c914b.jpg

Had a friend come over Sunday and help me make a quick job of the front ball joints. However, I freaking hate what the roll center adjuster spacers did to the steering wheel (it feels like it's not even steering anything, total air). Will update again when it's all buttoned up...may remove those.

QUESTION FOR JUNKIES

Upon measuring the pads on the front, there's a slight taper of 1 to 1.2 mm across the pad surfaces. Given the way the piston was making contact probably helped it from being ruined. I feel like that's pretty minimal and I should just slap them back on, but curious for feedback. Or sand it down to perfectly even again?

Everytime I see your car I want an S2000. And that seat doesnt help squash the desire at all haha! 

Speaking Rice-a-roni, there was a time in life that I would have traded a kidney to build my dream car: a british racing green EK hatch running something DOHC to 8500 rpm with a greddy evo2 can, on rota slipstreams (spoon knock offs), spoon duckbill spoiler and that seat in it LOL

Today it's the S2000 with that seat in it ?

On 1/17/2020 at 9:08 AM, Hollywood said:

QUESTION FOR JUNKIES

Upon measuring the pads on the front, there's a slight taper of 1 to 1.2 mm across the pad surfaces. Given the way the piston was making contact probably helped it from being ruined. I feel like that's pretty minimal and I should just slap them back on, but curious for feedback. Or sand it down to perfectly even again?

I'd still run them provided they have good life left.

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

She lives! Clint @ Gashead sorted out my awful Ohlins install. I had set pre-load wrong in a big way.. What a difference it makes. Brakes are still shit, but she's at least able to cruise now. Took the pup out for a beer. She likes beer. I like beer.

s2doggo.jpg

s2bump.jpg

looking awesome!!!