Hollywood

2008 S2000 CR (My Blue Heaven)

IMG_4080.thumb.JPG.40d3195b4f920906caa9c118e58830b2.JPG

(photo courtesy of molto bello @HDA )

Since leaving SM racing for the immediate future, I still want to drive track days when I can. This meant bringing out this high mileage girl. Since running it the last two or three member days, I've come to realize that while the S2000 in stock form is a wonderful car to own and drive....it's time to make it a little more "purposeful" without completely ruining the daily-drivability that it has right now. So, time to start a log...

At the moment, current mods / setup-

• Suspension:
    • Ohlins DFV Coilovers (base, not Sakebomb spec)
    • Whiteline Front Sway
  • Wheels/Tires: 
    • 949 17x9 on 255 RS4s - square
  • Brakes:
    • Hawk HP+
  • Misc:
    • Ingalls "Stiffy" Engine Torque Dampener (for looks...)

Goals for near future:

• Intake to replace open air stock box (just did this actually, next post)
  • Hybrid containment / adjustable seats  (something like Bride Stradia) but retain factory seat belts and airbags. Don't want to do harnesses and cut into interior trim right now
  • Replace 11 year old rubber brake lines with SS
  • Bushings...across the board - slop is bad
  • Drive shaft possible replacement / fixes (cv axle cups are pitted bad even with flipping)
  • Oil cooler
  • Oil pan baffle
  • Gain more camber via aftermarket mods...

Intake! After stock plastic tube cracked, figured it was time to replace. Went with aFe Takeda intake straight from Amazon. Install was a breeze and fitment was spectacular. Don't really care if it provides gains, I'm sure anything will be better than an exposed OEM box getting heat soaked to hell and back...

Before: 

IMG_4103.thumb.JPG.41be9789fbf67ef3355034c280679b39.JPG

After:

IMG_7247.thumb.jpg.21c19c1a3a38b497e561b6832046d95d.jpg

21 hours ago, Hollywood said:

Since leaving SM racing for the immediate future, I still want to drive track days when I can. This meant bringing out this high mileage girl. Since running it the last two or three member days, I've come to realize that while the S2000 in stock form is a wonderful car to own and drive....it's time to make it a little more "purposeful" without completely ruining the daily-drivability that it has right now. So, time to start a log...

At the moment, current mods / setup-

• Suspension:
    • Ohlins DFV Coilovers (base, not Sakebomb spec) These are perfect for your double duty purpose.
    • Whiteline Front Sway
  • Wheels/Tires: 
    • 949 17x9 on 255 RS4s - square
  • Brakes:
    • Hawk HP+ Unless they've changed the compound to be better, i'd look into something else. I ran Carbotechs (12/10) on the street with minimal squeal or drama.
  • Misc:
    • Ingalls "Stiffy" Engine Torque Dampener (for looks...)

Goals for near future:

• Intake to replace open air stock box (just did this actually, next post)
  • Hybrid containment / adjustable seats  (something like Bride Stradia) but retain factory seat belts and airbags. Don't want to do harnesses and cut into interior trim right now
  • Replace 11 year old rubber brake lines with SS
  • Bushings...across the board - slop is bad Poly will be the cheapest way to go, but one-and-done solid sphericals are great and aren't too harsh on the street. At least invest in spherical compliance bushings for the Front LCAs.
  • Drive shaft possible replacement / fixes (cv axle cups are pitted bad even with flipping) Have you considered the half-shaft spacers, Megan makes a split set that can be installed without pulling cv shaft off the car. I've been running mine for a few years now with no issues.
  • Oil cooler Not sure what you're giant intake looks like underneath, but there may be some issues routing the OTS oil cooler lines to the sandwich plate. you may need longer lines if you don't want to go through your airbox. I have a CTE airbox and had to cut holes and route the oil lines through the box.
  • Oil pan baffle
  • Gain more camber via aftermarket mods... 

Comments above.

I'm glad you're still going to enjoying tracking despite hanging up your racing shoes!

20 hours ago, Arro said:

• Ohlins DFV Coilovers (base, not Sakebomb spec) These are perfect for your double duty purpose.
  • Hawk HP+ Unless they've changed the compound to be better, i'd look into something else. I ran Carbotechs (12/10) on the street with minimal squeal or drama.
  • Bushings...across the board - slop is bad Poly will be the cheapest way to go, but one-and-done solid sphericals are great and aren't too harsh on the street. At least invest in spherical compliance bushings for the Front LCAs.
  • Drive shaft possible replacement / fixes (cv axle cups are pitted bad even with flipping) Have you considered the half-shaft spacers, Megan makes a split set that can be installed without pulling cv shaft off the car. I've been running mine for a few years now with no issues.
  • Oil cooler Not sure what you're giant intake looks like underneath, but there may be some issues routing the OTS oil cooler lines to the sandwich plate. you may need longer lines if you don't want to go through your airbox. I have a CTE airbox and had to cut holes and route the oil lines through the box.

Comments above.

I'm glad you're still going to enjoying tracking despite hanging up your racing shoes!

Man, thank you for the insight! Whole new world...

-Bushings: I'm looking at https://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000_suspension/spherical-bearing-and-bushings - any experience / recommendations of manufacturers?

-Drive shafts: I did and it's just delaying the inevitable. The pitting is...well...so bad it's felt in both accel/decel when flipping cups - I need to bite the bullet.

- Oil cooler: There's a lot of room but I hadn't considered that the lines need to go over that area! Thanks for the heads up.

40 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Man, thank you for the insight! Whole new world...

-Bushings: I'm looking at https://www.balladesports.com/products/hondas2000/s2000_suspension/spherical-bearing-and-bushings - any experience / recommendations of manufacturers?

-Drive shafts: I did and it's just delaying the inevitable. The pitting is...well...so bad it's felt in both accel/decel when flipping cups - I need to bite the bullet.

- Oil cooler: There's a lot of room but I hadn't considered that the lines need to go over that area! Thanks for the heads up.

Bushings: I am using the ballade sphericals myself. There was one issue on install where one of the bushing diameters was undersize and was not a press fit into the control arm. They quickly remedied the situation and sent another bushing after a few email exchanges. I would call them to see if they have them in stock. I was pleased with my transaction, but their reputation is not stellar as of late on the interwebs/forums. @V6Donut runs sphericals from a different supplier with success, you might hit him up for his connection. Also, i took my bushings apart (inside guides from brass bushing) and put a thin coating of shin-etsu grease. I have no idea if this is beneficial, i just did it.

Drive shafts: I feel your pain, peace of mind on track is worth it though.

Oil Cooler: I have Sakebomb's "nicer" setup with the mocal sandwich plate and Setrab cooler. i use the 19 row cooler and 180 deg thermostat.

2 hours ago, Arro said:

Bushings: I am using the ballade sphericals myself. There was one issue on install where one of the bushing diameters was undersize and was not a press fit into the control arm. They quickly remedied the situation and sent another bushing after a few email exchanges. I would call them to see if they have them in stock. I was pleased with my transaction, but their reputation is not stellar as of late on the interwebs/forums. @V6Donut runs sphericals from a different supplier with success, you might hit him up for his connection. Also, i took my bushings apart (inside guides from brass bushing) and put a thin coating of shin-etsu grease. I have no idea if this is beneficial, i just did it.

Drive shafts: I feel your pain, peace of mind on track is worth it though.

Oil Cooler: I have Sakebomb's "nicer" setup with the mocal sandwich plate and Setrab cooler. i use the 19 row cooler and 180 deg thermostat.

I'm with @Arro, ballades rep isn't so hot one the interwebs……  I have ESM Race sphercials, they are just as shady as Ballade now and dipped out on quiet a few folks. 

Seems the only spherical guy that's left that's worth a shit is King Pin. King Pin is triple cost based on research

On 10/25/2019 at 6:13 PM, edison_GTI said:

Do you need an NC front sway bar for the rear?

There is one sitting in my garage unclaimed @V6Donut

Whoops! I can pick it up this weekend, unless Sam wants it no problem. I'll just get it out of your garage, I don't plan on changing my setup anytime soon. Right now its working. 

35 minutes ago, V6Donut said:

Whoops! I can pick it up this weekend, unless Sam wants it no problem. I'll just get it out of your garage, I don't plan on changing my setup anytime soon. Right now its working. 

No thanks! Happy with stock rear right now.

@V6Donut @Arro shame about ballade. Their full kit was right under 1k, seemed a decent price for the full shabang. There's also Wicked Tuning, but they're up there in price as well..

I run the NC front bar in the rear, @Hollywood. I like it alot. You can check it out at EA Cresson if you want.

Also, @Hollywood and @V6Donut, i think the 3x price from Kingpin includes you sending them all of your control arms and they custom machine the bushings to fit, plus a bunch of other cleaning/zinc plating/etc. stuff. Is it worth it? Not for me, YMMV.

18 minutes ago, Arro said:

I run the NC front bar in the rear, @Hollywood. I like it alot. You can check it out at EA Cresson if you want.

Also, @Hollywood and @V6Donut, i think the 3x price from Kingpin includes you sending them all of your control arms and they custom machine the bushings to fit, plus a bunch of other cleaning/zinc plating/etc. stuff. Is it worth it? Not for me, YMMV.

Yup, that and aero space bearings all made in USA.  One day for me, until then, next up is brakes. 

Ordered/in garage awaiting install.. time to do things nowhere to be found. hoping to go run the 3-day cresson event.

• Sakebomb wrapped SS brake lines
  • GLOC R16 / R12 pads
  • Centric rotors
  • Planted seat bracket

Feeling cute, might throw my Momo Lesmo from the SM in for fun to see how it fits...may delete later...

New brake lines in, GLOC pads in, centric rotors in...

old stuff was in bad shape. OEM rotors ?

IMG_7495.jpg.513bcb70761f3280694cd379327381ea.jpg

new news:

fronts.jpg.f7a7afd110a0d98f9037cf8e99333e61.jpg

rears.thumb.jpg.441d17c58dd759fd7ee2c891b76e8e3e.jpg

passenger rear caliper is pretty seized. Going to run it as is this weekend but will probably need replacing soon.

oldshit.thumb.jpg.0b072d16a1978840b087b39984ec7cf2.jpg

lines were aged out as expected, surprised they weren't a bigger issue than they were on track. 

macs.jpg.4e458a1a9be036c6e4d3eeff99f5e8f4.jpg

new tow straps, b-day present to myself for dealing with god awful shit for years and years...

In the chaos of trying to knock this out while fostering 5 puppies for a rescue I work with, I came back to the job and not paying attention grabbed a brake line clip holder bolt and stuck it in the top bolt hole for the caliper. I proceeded to tighten it down to around oem torque when all of the sudden I feel the dreaded slip. Getting this back out of the caliper was an adventure. 

fuckupmajeour.jpg

next up tonight: throwing in my momo full containment seat and running it with stock seatbelts for shits and giggles.

4 hours ago, Hollywood said:

next up tonight: throwing in my momo full containment seat and running it with stock seatbelts for shits and giggles.

Was just looking through your google sheet and that Momo caught my eye

16 hours ago, Hollywood said:

In the chaos of trying to knock this out while fostering 5 puppies for a rescue I work with, I came back to the job and not paying attention grabbed a brake line clip holder bolt and stuck it in the top bolt hole for the caliper. I proceeded to tighten it down to around oem torque when all of the sudden I feel the dreaded slip. Getting this back out of the caliper was an adventure. 

Better you find it in the garage at home, than it find you on track.

29 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Threw the seat in last night on a planted bracket. Fitment & position are perfect but the seatbelts, even with an extender, are a no go. Sides are too high for it to be remotely effective. Back to stock.

IMG_7579.jpg.fd71b38b1240c911e488414453ce2968.jpg

Love the halo seat and the photo from the top! Nice work man! 

22 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

Stupid question.. is there any way you can stuff the belt through the harness hip belt holes in the seat?

Not stupid at all. I tried it (obviously only works on the buckle side), but it still leaves a huge gap of around 3" above lap but then have the buckle itself cinched on my right hip - really really uncomfortable. It's awkward as hell. I'm actually going to run to storage today and remove an OMP harness I have off a wrecked chassis and try throwing the lap belt in to the S to get by the weekend. Will still use chest strap as usual in combination with airbags..

32 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Not stupid at all. I tried it (obviously only works on the buckle side), but it still leaves a huge gap of around 3" above lap but then have the buckle itself cinched on my right hip - really really uncomfortable. It's awkward as hell. I'm actually going to run to storage today and remove an OMP harness I have off a wrecked chassis and try throwing the lap belt in to the S to get by the weekend. Will still use chest strap as usual in combination with airbags..

Unbolt the seat belt and run it through the lap belt hole (door side) and then buckle through lap belt hole on trans side. If you run it over the seat on either side you'll just submarine as the lap belt won't be able to cinch your dainty hips. 

10 minutes ago, cabowabo said:

Unbolt the seat belt and run it through the lap belt hole (door side) and then buckle through lap belt hole on trans side. If you run it over the seat on either side you'll just submarine as the lap belt won't be able to cinch your dainty hips. 

oh shit I didn't even think about unbolting the top part. will report back...