Solo_S14

2019 Junkie Confessions

9735FF97-8AC0-47C4-82F6-644F904580DB.jpeg.f64e98487881ad96ede63a088d77e797.jpeg

22 days on track

Picking up 3rd Track/Race car of this year

About to do first W2W race

Recently counted 50 tires in the garage 😂

Geeze, you're out of control. Only 10 days on track for me this year, sad. But I spent a lot of the year working on the car and not driving it.

50 tires? Why?

25 days on track

9 autox events

12 new tires in the living room and 4 'dailies' (no garage)

I've only used one set of autox tires (still on my set from this time last year), and 2 sets of track tires (200tw ftw). Low consumable costs+instructing with 6 clubs= reasonable costs for the year.

6 days on track (3 race weekends), all at MSRH 😞

12 new tires sitting around with nothing to do since the car is in the shop getting repainted..... so I can sell it and buy something I like moar bettar.

240SX is dead as a doornail since it's sat for 2 years without crap done to it since it got wrecked at COTA.  just don't have time to fix it.

Days on track = enough to make someone with a 9 month old feel guilty now that I really think about it... :sorry:

With ChampCar, NASA Event, and some Instructing with Chin and TDE, Something like 13 or 14 weekends? Some random 1 day things thrown in?

1 Miata in the Garage, another in race trim on the way ;) One BRZ that desperately wants to go racing.

And now with what I'm pretty sure is an addiction to race slicks thanks to last weekend, I'm going to need a side hustle. Or two.

RBBike.gif.75934817037201ea661d498a0bdf8436.gif

10 hours ago, robertcope said:

Geeze, you're out of control.

50 tires? Why?

Exactly....

11 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

Recently counted 50 tires in the garage 😂

Do you have a tire machine or a hook up on tire mounting? Just imagining all the effort (and cost) to get those tires mounted up. 

I did the math.  A buddy of mine in Mississippi set up a mobile mounting / balancing business.  Vs the dude near my house who will do a set for like $30.  Unless I was selling the service, it didn’t make sense.

20 track days including this weekend, with another 5 or so before year end. 1 set of track tires. RS-4s FTW. Not including gas, about $5.5K in consumables and event fees to date (mostly instructing).

Each race weekend in the RX7 is about $2000 in consumables (full set of tires at $1500, 1/2 set of brakes, plus fuel)  event fees are another $500/weekend, and hotel and tow money is more if I stay in a hotel.  I would love to be able to go back to running 10 weekends/ 20 days for $5500 in expenses!   that's 2-3 weekends at my current burn rate!

Was hoping to do a lot of track days this year. Hit a coyote in Jan and decided not to touch the car until after I took the MCAT in June. After fixing it, I had 1-2 events planned per month, but I lost a brake caliper at COTA in July which took me out for a couple of months. Fixed that and did a day at MSRH in Sept, and I had a major power steering leak by end of the event. Tried to fix that for the MSRH member day on Oct 13, but the power steering cooler is fubar, so the car is still down. Who knows what will go down next month lol. 

After last Sunday, I've decided I won't track the street car again until I install a racing seat.

Been an AMAZING year so far!!! Major accomplishments:

-2019 SCCA Southern States Championship in GT2

-Went Pro, racing Trans Am TA2

-Bunch of new tracks (noted below)

2019 Schedule

-Homestead-Miami SCCA Majors - Jan 3-6, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-Sebring SCCA Super Tour - Jan 10-13, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-MSR Cresson SCCA Jan 25-27, 2019

-COTA SCCA Super Tour - Feb 7-10, 2019, pro car, Camaro

-MSR Houston SCCA May 24-26, 2019

-June Sprints Road America SCCA - June 13-16, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-COTA SCCA - June 28-30, 2019, pro car, Camaro

-Trans Am TA2 - Indy August 2019 <--Max Nufer driving, his Pro debut, Trans Am TA2, pro car, Camaro

-Trans Am TA2 - Mid Ohio - August 8-10, 2019 <--Max Nufer driving, pro car, Camaro

-ECR Testing - September 24-25, 2019 (166 laps, pro car, Camaro)

-COTA Trans Am TA2 - Oct 3-6, 2019 <--first Pro race, Trans Am TA2, pro car, Camaro

-Daytona Trans Am TA2 - Nov 14-16, 2019 <--so pumped!! pro car, Camaro

Ran the Full Monte Carlo here and there and will be running more as the season progresses! Budget? Um, yeah....ouch...

That's an impressive year!

I did very, very little driving on track this year. NASA at TMS, a few DE's and ... that's it. Two surgeries, moving to a new house... life stuff.

We DID finally break ground on our lifelong goal to have a big shop at our house!!

image.thumb.png.0717e1b58c3b07ba7b0a7023a08c6d3c.png

image.thumb.png.bbfca63632259489fac619af9becbc10.png

image.thumb.png.6e0e3a2220579e52e0c0b80cebf8f988.png

Soon...

image.png.7e7151ed1dff277c23f5e914fca0a1b3.png

34 minutes ago, Shuka said:

image.png.7e7151ed1dff277c23f5e914fca0a1b3.png

I can’t make out whether that’s a pre-determined oil slick on the driveway, or just a furry friend 😂

On 10/18/2019 at 3:42 PM, Captain Buddha said:

Been an AMAZING year so far!!! Major accomplishments:

-2019 SCCA Southern States Championship in GT2

-Went Pro, racing Trans Am TA2

-Bunch of new tracks (noted below)

2019 Schedule

-Homestead-Miami SCCA Majors - Jan 3-6, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-Sebring SCCA Super Tour - Jan 10-13, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-MSR Cresson SCCA Jan 25-27, 2019

-COTA SCCA Super Tour - Feb 7-10, 2019, pro car, Camaro

-MSR Houston SCCA May 24-26, 2019

-June Sprints Road America SCCA - June 13-16, 2019 <--new track, pro car, Camaro

-COTA SCCA - June 28-30, 2019, pro car, Camaro

-Trans Am TA2 - Indy August 2019 <--Max Nufer driving, his Pro debut, Trans Am TA2, pro car, Camaro

-Trans Am TA2 - Mid Ohio - August 8-10, 2019 <--Max Nufer driving, pro car, Camaro

-ECR Testing - September 24-25, 2019 (166 laps, pro car, Camaro)

-COTA Trans Am TA2 - Oct 3-6, 2019 <--first Pro race, Trans Am TA2, pro car, Camaro

-Daytona Trans Am TA2 - Nov 14-16, 2019 <--so pumped!! pro car, Camaro

Ran the Full Monte Carlo here and there and will be running more as the season progresses! Budget? Um, yeah....ouch...

I hereby declare that I want you to be my mentor/trainer/teacher!...where do I sign?

9 minutes ago, Paladin said:

I hereby declare that I want you to be my mentor/trainer/teacher!...where do I sign?

prepare your liver if you want Brad to be your mentor.   

On 10/24/2019 at 1:23 PM, lobster said:

prepare your liver if you want Brad to be your mentor.   

This is very true!! LOL 

Tuesday night Cigars n Racecars is where it starts!!

It was a dreamy year for me! 

33 days at the track this year per my count. Feels low lol

Whole NASA tx schedule minus NOLA, plus an out of town race at Road Atlanta, and Nationals at Mid Ohio. Goal was to win a regional championship, got it done! Top 10 at nationals was a cherry on top.

SCCA, did a COTA super tour event at beginning of year to dip my toe in at big events, and an a majors at msrh because its down the street.

WRL- only one event with my usual team.  Had some schedule conflicts on both ends. Also still developing an overhauled car. Got invited to drive with a competing team which was fun, let me compare myself against some great drivers and see the gaps on data.

Bout 20 tires in the garage. Underestimated the longevity of TOYO RRs

Already planning next year. Probably less quantity, more big events next year.

54 minutes ago, Vinnieb said:

Already planning next year. Probably less quantity, more big events next year.

You about to jump on some HST's w/ SCCA?

I only did three weekends this year; NASA TX MSRH Season Opener, NASA NorCal Thunderhill, and WRL feelsbadman.jpg at Barber. Between moving, wedding in Canada, ER visit, building a PC/sim, and picking up a proper daily I just didn't have monehz for track. Next year planning on getting after it in TT5 (hopefully ST5 at some point) and also try to hit every track in Cali whether comp or DE. Moonshine needs nothing other than some basic maintenance and I wanna add a bit of fun via lightness and aero. 

NASA Champs is only ~9hrs away, so that might go on the schedule.

I ran the full NASA TX Schedule with a couple member days this year and a DE or Two, I also got addicted to purple crack and found out how to drive.

Full NASA TX schedule including NOLA, a drivers edge event, a chin event, a few MSRH member days, a MSRC member day, an EA COTA event lots of rental karting including a 3rd place finish in a team enduro out of 16 teams.  Started actually wheel to wheel racing as well this year with NASA.    

I'm really wanting to look more into a WRL drive and ill probably focus less on NASA next year and experience more competition outside of NASA.