Hollywood

November Member Days

13 minutes ago, strengthrehab said:

I was whooped after my 2nd place Autocross placing on Saturday. Wish I could have made it. 

FIRST PLACE LOSER CONGRATULATIONS!  

This was my 3rd time running the track in this configuration.  Took the opportunity to run with (Hollywood’s old WRL enduro) 225 RS-4’s back to back with (Random take-off) 205 Toyo RR’s.  Then compare that data with my first time in that config (June) on the old tire/wheel/spring package, and my 2nd time in that config (Sept) on the (now broken) aero setup.

This is much easier to see on my computer vs my phone - but in short I’ve posted the setup basics, times, and corner min / straight max speeds.  The graph was kind of hard to pick out, so I colored the lines the same as TDE HPDE groups (Green, Blue, Yellow, Red) for increasing speed / lower time.  I took 2 sample times for each setup, then removed outliers to try to normalize the data - it’s not perfect, but fun to mess with.

F1072CF6-7202-499A-926A-3E283E91EE29.png.661e85444da382722f3a9b883dca053b.png

96FD80A7-B053-4373-AC88-4473C773FE0E.thumb.png.758ef800564c93b0091557f5b0a377a1.png

Observations:

1. Lowest speed corner - Diamonds Edge - as you’d expect 15x7 street tire << 15x9 street tire << 15x9 Toyo.  From there, the drag race down to Back Straight looks to be power limited, with a pretty minimal aero benefit / penalty.  The Blue runs actually matched (over-laid) everybody else there on the other runs, so I would say that Diamonds Edge down the Back Straight is pretty “as expected”, except that the aero is doing less that I would have guessed (in terms of front air dam drag reduction vs an open / cut bumper).

2. Interesting to look at the “Blue and Yellow” points through the back half of the course (Bus Stop, Keyhole, Gut Check, Sugar & Spice).  The speeds are basically matched at every corner (Blue = 225 RS-4, Yellow = 205 Toyo RR).  I would have expected more performance in the Toyo.

(Note the spike on Yellow 9-10 straight I think is driver mod, it was a consistently faster line on those runs)

3. Aero Benefit - I think I’ve noted before on one or two of the other threads, how composed the car felt with the aero vs without.  Looking at the back half of the course again, you can see the benefit through keyhole (and more importantly the transition after keyhole), and the benefits it pays all the way down through Gut Check.  All other setups were sliding through Keyhole + the transition before launch much more.

That additional composure is letting me carry more speed through Sugar & Spice confidently, as well as “choose” (without letting up, or sliding) a better line through Carousel - with a decent min speed, but more importantly better exit for the Front Straight.

I’m probably most inconsistent in terms of speed / line at the turn-in at the end of the  Pit Straight, and getting set up through Carousel.  Part of that I think is because I’m bouncing violently as I transition across there (heavy springs + crappy Bilsteins) - the inconsistency shows in the data.  But besides that, I think overall, I see the benefit in the aero in the driveability / composure through corners, as well as the stability / driver confidence onto and off of the brakes and into a corner.

Data:

Looking at the speed traces of the “fastest” setup vs all of the others, it’s evident how “close” the 15x9 setups (w/ heavier springs) are, vs the soft sprung 15x7 setup.  Probably a lot of it is driver mod as well, but:

1. “Spec 4” setup is faster than “Spec 1” setup basically everywhere, but notably through the whole Carousel/Front Straight complex; the braking zone off the Back Straight, and then Gut Check through Sugar & Spice:

685EFDE7-19D8-403B-9626-62006F98FC7A.thumb.png.821f5a6163a7395c1df99935d57dde9e.png

2. “Spec 4” vs “Spec 2” closes up across the board, but I think finding time in those same places:

74406E2B-254A-4397-AE4C-17EF02355A33.thumb.png.6c6a7eef37eb682f379fe8258806d774.png

3. Then finally “Spec 4” vs “Spec 3” - aero vs non-aero, I think really points to that driveability / confidence / composure (less corrections / mistakes) through Carousel all the way down + braking zone of Front Straight, then again into braking zone at Gut Check and through Sugar & Spice:

CC529032-3571-42EE-AD0D-24390C162C84.thumb.png.2f01075343cf26e58fc9b581f0046326.png

TMDR?  Guy collects data, guy likes aero and wide tires, driver mods work.

Edited by Solo_S14
Learning how to count

On 10/28/2019 at 7:27 PM, robertcope said:

Odds are it will be CW.

CCW it was.....beautiful weather for sure.

I needed that, it had been pretty much five months since the last time on track.  I set my PB while having fun with friends.

22 hours ago, V6Donut said:

Lobster is winning for trolls in this thread

🙋‍♂️

On 11/4/2019 at 12:13 PM, Solo_S14 said:

This was my 3rd time running the track in this configuration.  Took the opportunity to run with (Hollywood’s old WRL enduro) 225 RS-4’s back to back with (Random take-off) 205 Toyo RR’s.  Then compare that data with my first time in that config (June) on the old tire/wheel/spring package, and my 2nd time in that config (Sept) on the (now broken) aero setup.

This is much easier to see on my computer vs my phone - but in short I’ve posted the setup basics, times, and corner min / straight max speeds.  The graph was kind of hard to pick out, so I colored the lines the same as TDE HPDE groups (Green, Blue, Yellow, Red) for increasing speed / lower time.  I took 2 sample times for each setup, then removed outliers to try to normalize the data - it’s not perfect, but fun to mess with.

F1072CF6-7202-499A-926A-3E283E91EE29.png.661e85444da382722f3a9b883dca053b.png

96FD80A7-B053-4373-AC88-4473C773FE0E.thumb.png.758ef800564c93b0091557f5b0a377a1.png

Observations:

1. Lowest speed corner - Diamonds Edge - as you’d expect 15x7 street tire << 15x9 street tire << 15x9 Toyo.  From there, the drag race down to Back Straight looks to be power limited, with a pretty minimal aero benefit / penalty.  The Blue runs actually matched (over-laid) everybody else there on the other runs, so I would say that Diamonds Edge down the Back Straight is pretty “as expected”, except that the aero is doing less that I would have guessed (in terms of front air dam drag reduction vs an open / cut bumper).

2. Interesting to look at the “Blue and Yellow” points through the back half of the course (Bus Stop, Keyhole, Gut Check, Sugar & Spice).  The speeds are basically matched at every corner (Blue = 225 RS-4, Yellow = 205 Toyo RR).  I would have expected more performance in the Toyo.

(Note the spike on Yellow 9-10 straight I think is driver mod, it was a consistently faster line on those runs)

3. Aero Benefit - I think I’ve noted before on one or two of the other threads, how composed the car felt with the aero vs without.  Looking at the back half of the course again, you can see the benefit through keyhole (and more importantly the transition after keyhole), and the benefits it pays all the way down through Gut Check.  All other setups were sliding through Keyhole + the transition before launch much more.

That additional composure is letting me carry more speed through Sugar & Spice confidently, as well as “choose” (without letting up, or sliding) a better line through Carousel - with a decent min speed, but more importantly better exit for the Front Straight.

I’m probably most inconsistent in terms of speed / line at the turn-in at the end of the  Pit Straight, and getting set up through Carousel.  Part of that I think is because I’m bouncing violently as I transition across there (heavy springs + crappy Bilsteins) - the inconsistency shows in the data.  But besides that, I think overall, I see the benefit in the aero in the driveability / composure through corners, as well as the stability / driver confidence onto and off of the brakes and into a corner.

Data:

Looking at the speed traces of the “fastest” setup vs all of the others, it’s evident how “close” the 15x9 setups (w/ heavier springs) are, vs the soft sprung 15x7 setup.  Probably a lot of it is driver mod as well, but:

1. “Spec 4” setup is faster than “Spec 1” setup basically everywhere, but notably through the whole Carousel/Front Straight complex; the braking zone off the Back Straight, and then Gut Check through Sugar & Spice:

685EFDE7-19D8-403B-9626-62006F98FC7A.thumb.png.821f5a6163a7395c1df99935d57dde9e.png

2. “Spec 4” vs “Spec 2” closes up across the board, but I think finding time in those same places:

74406E2B-254A-4397-AE4C-17EF02355A33.thumb.png.6c6a7eef37eb682f379fe8258806d774.png

3. Then finally “Spec 4” vs “Spec 3” - aero vs non-aero, I think really points to that driveability / confidence / composure (less corrections / mistakes) through Carousel all the way down + braking zone of Front Straight, then again into braking zone at Gut Check and through Sugar & Spice:

CC529032-3571-42EE-AD0D-24390C162C84.thumb.png.2f01075343cf26e58fc9b581f0046326.png

TMDR?  Guy collects data, guy likes aero and wide tires, driver mods work.

Excellent data.  

On 11/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, edison_GTI said:

CCW it was.....beautiful weather for sure.

I needed that, it had been pretty much five months since the last time on track.  I set my PB while having fun with friends.

Hope you can make the Cresson event!

2 hours ago, edison_GTI said:

Notice the magnificent shift at 8:55

Oooof. Do that in an AP1 and you won't keep on driving, lol.

1 hour ago, robertcope said:

Oooof. Do that in an AP1 and you won't keep on driving, lol.

I was surprised that it kept going.

I zinged the SM last year at COTA and it started making rattling noises. Turns out the engine survived — it was the clutch that gave up first.