Jump to content
z28pwr

Track Withdrawals

Recommended Posts

I recently sold my NC track rat and I’m starting to get track withdrawals. I have an FRS that has 17x9’s, OFT Tune and cheap coil overs that I could turn into a track/street car, but I think that it will be cheaper if I sell the FRS and buy a modified NC that is street legal. The NC was very cheap to track and super reliable. What do you guys think?

Share this post


Link to post

Have you thrown the FRS around on the track yet? If not, take it out for a couple of track events and see how you like it. If it’s not to your likings, get back in the Miata!

Share this post


Link to post
49 minutes ago, z28pwr said:

I recently sold my NC track rat and I’m starting to get track withdrawals. I have an FRS that has 17x9’s, OFT Tune and cheap coil overs that I could turn into a track/street car, but I think that it will be cheaper if I sell the FRS and buy a modified NC that is street legal. The NC was very cheap to track and super reliable. What do you guys think?

I track and daily drive my 2014 BRZ, it's prepped for STX autox so its got coilovers, swaybars, headers and a tune, 17x9's, the AP Racing Sprint BBK, and an oil cooler. It's very reliable and since I've got the stock mufflers and haven't done anything to the interior it dailies as well as it did stock.

All you need is an oil cooler and you're good to go. The FRS/BRZ isn't significantly more expensive to track than an NC. I've got just under 60k miles, nearly 100 track days, and almost 200 autox events (counting co-drives as additional events) and the car has been very robust and reliable. I made the mistake of having my transmission replaced under warranty when I found a ball bearing in the fluid during a flush (turns out it was from the reverse lockout mechanism and wouldn't have caused any problems), the 'new' transmission was re-manufactured and the first replacement was bad but it got swapped under warranty as well. I had the ignition coilpack issue fixed under warranty as well (13&14's had coilpacks that would go bad under high load or heat or rpms, but they were redesigned for 15 onward) with a wiring harness upgrade so they could put in the new type of coilpack. I also had my ac condenser and compressor replaced under warranty (condenser cracked and took the compressor with it).

The only track issues I had to pay for out of warranty were: clutch failed due to a bad slave cylinder, front wheel bearings wore out and had to be replaced, my seat bracket sheared from metal fatigue, and the swaybar mounting tabs sheared on both sides (one at a time) off my Ohlins coilovers (a friend, thanks MIles, just fabricated new ones out of some scrap steel, Ohlins might have sent me new ones but the fix was fast, easy, and cheap). I can't imagine that an NC wouldn't have similar minor issues if it was used as hard as my BRZ.

Knowing what I do now, if I were in your position I'd throw an oil cooler on the FRS and start tracking it. It's a coupe so you don't need a roll cage/bar like the NC, and it can fit a full set of tires and all the tools/stuff you need for a trackday in the back. At the same level of modifications and on the same tires, the FRS is faster than an NC (it slots directly between an NC and an S2k for performance) and is super fun to track (well, the back straight at COTA gets tedious, just remember to bring a book or start a podcast and it'll help pass the time). If you didn't already have an FRS, then either it or the NC would be a pretty equal choice (really it just comes down to if you want a coupe or convertible and/or you plan on running with the BMW club or anyone else with restrictive convertible rules). 

Skip (865) might be interested in a trade, he's got an NC he tracks but has been thinking about how much better my BRZ is classed for SCCA Time Trials and autox and could possibly be interested in a trade.

Share this post


Link to post

 

Hay gais I have a street/track car that I think I may turn into a street/track car OR sell it and get a street/track car to go to the track with.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

FRS is just as good as an NC on track and consumables are similar cost.   going to an NC would be a lot of money and effort spent for a sideways move.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lobster said:

 

Hay gais I have a street/track car that I think I may turn into a street/track car OR sell it and get a street/track car to go to the track with.  

 

 

Interesting. Have you thought of getting a street/track car?

Share this post


Link to post
19 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

What’s the worst that could happen?

9C32FBC4-0CE8-4FED-A53B-0646E02F25E8.jpeg.7ea720bfc7af2a3eadaf52763618b1ae.jpeg

4B3FE431-3058-4AFA-AFB7-46F710A6C324.thumb.jpeg.b7f12f3d446ea503d6c3ba90a297376d.jpeg

(etc.)

#mylifepathtodate

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Matt93SE said:

FRS is just as good as an NC on track and consumables are similar cost.   going to an NC would be a lot of money and effort spent for a sideways move.

Bingo. Sounds like the FRS is already a bottle of SRF and some pads away from track competence for 90% of users. 

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for all the feedback. It sounds like I'm over thinking things and that the FA20 should be able to handle track duty without blowing up and that consumables are going to be on par with an NC. 

 

@Solo_S14 Is that a ford engine? What are the specs?

Share this post


Link to post

I think it’s a Coyote, I just pulled it from the internet, as a partial joke for this thread, and partially to coax Joe into further committing to LS swapping his publically on the forum.  I think job done.

Share this post


Link to post

Also, Sikky makes nice kits for the S-chassis, and I know they’re pretty well done developing their kit for the FRS/BRZ/86.  They scan and model their stuff, it’s pretty nice - I like the idea you two have about building sister NA and Turbo cars, and I’ll bet Sikky would get behind your social media program 😂

Share this post


Link to post

track withdrawals...I need my own thread for this.  As goes my life for the past 25 years - best summed up as "a series of stupid decisions..." have hamstrung me from going to the track once again...just as I was getting  back into it

My car, which was PERFECTLY EFFING FINE to leave alone, has been in the shop since March.  March!  I'm an idiot.  Will I ever see that car again? I don't even know anymore. 

Anybody want to share costs / rent their hoopty to a permanoob?  (I have a lot of seat time but spread out over...15 years with long breaks)

I've scratched the itch in other ways with a shiny new dirt bike and trying to kill myself at Murphy's.  But...yeah, I miss the track, a lot.  

Maybe I should just go do kart rentals once a month or so.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, joesurf79 said:

Bingo. Sounds like the FRS is already a bottle of SRF and some pads away from track competence for 10% of users. 

I Fixed yOuR sTaTiStICs  

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, KevinDB said:

track withdrawals...I need my own thread for this.  As goes my life for the past 25 years - best summed up as "a series of stupid decisions..." have hamstrung me from going to the track once again...just as I was getting  back into it

My car, which was PERFECTLY EFFING FINE to leave alone, has been in the shop since March.  March!  I'm an idiot.  Will I ever see that car again? I don't even know anymore. 

Anybody want to share costs / rent their hoopty to a permanoob?  (I have a lot of seat time but spread out over...15 years with long breaks)

I've scratched the itch in other ways with a shiny new dirt bike and trying to kill myself at Murphy's.  But...yeah, I miss the track, a lot.  

Maybe I should just go do kart rentals once a month or so.

 

 

My suggestion...accept that the disappearance of your car is a sign you belong on two wheels. Install a skid plate and hand guards to your shiny new bike and enter some TORCS enduros. Urges for 'The Track' may become a distant memory...and think of the pile of money you won't have to light on fire in a never ending car quest.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, PoBoyR6 said:

My suggestion...accept that the disappearance of your car is a sign you belong on two wheels. Install a skid plate and hand guards to your shiny new bike and enter some TORCS enduros. Urges for 'The Track' may become a distant memory...and think of the pile of money you won't have to light on fire in a never ending car quest.

I sold my R6 after almost being killed for the third time. I don't think that I will make it out alive the fourth time. 

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, z28pwr said:

I sold my R6 after almost being killed for the third time. I don't think that I will make it out alive the fourth time. 

Street or track? If track I'd say you're unlucky, if street I'd say you're lucky to have so few near death experiences...

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, PoBoyR6 said:

Street or track? If track I'd say you're unlucky, if street I'd say you're lucky to have so few near death experiences...

Street, so I guess that I was lucky. I love the adrenaline rush, but for me, it’s not worth the risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/14/2019 at 2:22 PM, PoBoyR6 said:

My suggestion...accept that the disappearance of your car is a sign you belong on two wheels. Install a skid plate and hand guards to your shiny new bike and enter some TORCS enduros. Urges for 'The Track' may become a distant memory...and think of the pile of money you won't have to light on fire in a never ending car quest.

Sounds like fun.  I'm getting old(er) at a not so fit 43, not the best idea to get into dirt riding now... but I'm not the wisest guy around so I might anyway.  Cars are my first love though.  I can't stop it.  Want to get into endurance racing, maybe with WRL and similar orgs.  With that in mind, I should stop messing around with a silly no-purpose "track" car and get involved with folks as part of a team.

On 10/14/2019 at 10:45 PM, z28pwr said:

I sold my R6 after almost being killed for the third time. I don't think that I will make it out alive the fourth time. 

I've done a lot of track days on R6 and R1 over the years. I'm not terribly interested in street riding anymore, after group rides gone bad too many times, and the thrill of street riding just isn't there.  Also it takes a lot higher risk to reach the point of a "thrill" on the street as your skill goes up.  I occasionally ride a back road at a leisurely pace.  Kinda want to get into supermoto track riding / racing next.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

2.5 swapped NC with the usual RX8 bits and some coils/wheels/tires will do about all you could want and more.  Plus it gives you a drive-able "project" which, at least for me, is half the fun of having a track car.  

Share this post


Link to post
On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:25 PM, KevinDB said:

Sounds like fun.  I'm getting old(er) at a not so fit 43, not the best idea to get into dirt riding now... but I'm not the wisest guy around so I might anyway. 

For what its worth there are guys in their 50s and even 60s running TORCS. Obviously the better shape you are in helps with reducing fatigue and bike placement in the more technical sections, but you certainly don't have to be in motocross shape.

Share this post


Link to post

Easy solution....a SXS, RZR, etc....TOO MUCH FUN!! Plus, once ECR gets its offroad track open...well, hold on!! My 4 seater RZR Turbo is already out there...makes a great pit vehicle / backroad burner too!

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...