Jump to content

Recommended Posts

About ready to go to go do COTA as a spectator and be that annoying guy who won't stop talking about himself and how great COTA is in a miata when we're at the track to watch an F1 race.

 

Anyone else going?  Anyone got extra tickets?  I've gotta do some suit shopping so I was gonna swing by Winding Road Saturday morning and then go see Qualifying at 4 and the concert after.  Pretty sure going up there with my girlfriend, parents might join too.  Sunday I'll be there for race day.  Probably doing GA both days but haven't gotten any tickets yet so if anyones looking to sell hit me up!

Share this post


Link to post

I'll be there with the daughter.  she's doing the grid kid thing, so I know we will be busy a significant portion of pre-race on Sunday.  don't know schedule outside that yet since we're still waiting on FIA to firm up schedule and send to COTA.  (the backstage stuff is planned down to the minute)

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Vinnieb said:

 so I was gonna swing by Winding Road Saturday morning and then go see Qualifying at 4 and the concert after. 

I’ve only done F1 at COTA once, but transit to and from the track was a nightmare.  We rented an RV and stayed at the track, but friends trying to get to and from the track were “hours” at those peak times.

45 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

she's doing the grid kid thing,

Cool 👍

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, Solo_S14 said:

I’ve only done F1 at COTA once, but transit to and from the track was a nightmare.  We rented an RV and stayed at the track, but friends trying to get to and from the track were “hours” at those peak times.

^ This.  They close 99% of the back roads and make everyone take the same damn route home.  But you don't know the road is closed until you drive to the random cop standing there telling you to turn around.  Tons of fun....  

Share this post


Link to post

Maybe it was because I lived in Austin, but I never had much unexpected trouble for a 300k people event.  Of all the different ways i've gone, the best is meet downtown and catch one of the COTA buses that brings people to track. There is quite a good walk after that if your not keen on such things.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm going with 2 buddies. We'll be at Turn 13...first time in VIP suite for me. "free" food and drinks, but most importantly...we can smell the brakes from the cars as they go by!

Share this post


Link to post

Turns out wife got us a hotel in Buda.  any of you F1 veterans expect issues getting in from there?   Because of the kiddo's "job" that weekend, I need to make sure I plan far enough ahead to get us there on time.

not sure what schedule is just yet, but I would love to meet up with everyone if schedule allows and you're Ok with an 8yr old girl tagging along.  I promise I'm not as big an asshole in person as I am online. 😉

 

Share this post


Link to post

Enter from the east, take 45 to 130 to Maha Loop and work your way north. Traffic is worst between the track and 130. 

Share this post


Link to post

OK, finally got word back from the grid kids thing...   We have tickets for sunday because of that.   I was planning to go Sat as well.

Anybody have some Sat GA (or other) tickets they're not using?  

 

Share this post


Link to post

There are entirely too many people for me to ever go to an F1 race.  My dad will be there though.  He is driving an old corvette around the track (for some reason there is a parade of old corvettes before the race) and will have one of the F1 drivers in the car with him.

Share this post


Link to post

We went with a fun group of TJs to the inaugural COTA F1 and one thereafter. It was great, but the parking situation alone was worth not going again.  

Even given the happy-cockney (“thank you very much”) and self-absorbed commentators, I guess TV coverage is better.  

Unless they resort to Nico Rosberg.  When that idiot appears as commentator, they’re bottom surfing, and it’s time for channel surfing. 

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Hastarock said:

We went with a fun group of TJs to the inaugural COTA F1 and one thereafter. It was great, but the parking situation alone was worth not going again.  

Even given the happy-cockney (“thank you very much”) and self-absorbed commentators, I guess TV coverage is better.  

Unless they resort to Nico Rosberg.  When that idiot appears as commentator, they’re bottom surfing, and it’s time for channel surfing. 

Parking, for real though.  A whatever hundreds of millions of dollars F1 track and they have garbage, hilly, mud and gravel lots.  It's almost embarrassing.  I think it was 2 years ago when it rained, they must have had 20 wreckers just pulling people out of their spots in the mud, that they paid $$ for.  COTA needs to rethink some things. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, tyhackman15 said:

Parking, for real though.  A whatever hundreds of millions of dollars F1 track and they have garbage, hilly, mud and gravel lots.  It's almost embarrassing.  I think it was 2 years ago when it rained, they must have had 20 wreckers just pulling people out of their spots in the mud, that they paid $$ for.  COTA needs to rethink some things. 

This is typical worldwide for large pro events.

F1 weekends are an outlier for parking.  They only need those lots once or twice a year.   The rest of the time, the events are smaller and don't need ten square miles of parking.

Every large race track I've been to is the same way.  They have enough paved parking for the large majority of events, but the 1-2x / year huge events are done using fields in the area and busing people in from nearby churches, malls, schools, etc with available parking.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, tyhackman15 said:

Parking, for real though.  A whatever hundreds of millions of dollars F1 track and they have garbage, hilly, mud and gravel lots.  It's almost embarrassing.  I think it was 2 years ago when it rained, they must have had 20 wreckers just pulling people out of their spots in the mud, that they paid $$ for.  COTA needs to rethink some things. 

The unpaved lots are going to be nasty again this year - be careful pulling off the paved or base roads.  Even if it doesn't rain much more between now & then there is still going to be a lot of stuck cars.  Just nasty ugly ground out there.  Also why the bumps are showing up on track.

Not defending their decision not to pave all of the lots - I hate parking in them too - but to pave that much more area would be tremendously expensive - and with how bad the ground is out there and the very low usage of those lots they would likely fall apart very quickly

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, jktx said:

The unpaved lots are going to be nasty again this year - be careful pulling off the paved or base roads.  Even if it doesn't rain much more between now & then there is still going to be a lot of stuck cars.  Just nasty ugly ground out there.  Also why the bumps are showing up on track.

Not defending their decision not to pave all of the lots - I hate parking in them too - but to pave that much more area would be tremendously expensive - and with how bad the ground is out there and the very low usage of those lots they would likely fall apart very quickly

Yeah that's fair, it's kind of built on a swamp.  Which is a shame, because a few big lots with a skid pad, auto-x, and drift potential would really bring in some "off-season" traffic there. 

Share this post


Link to post
33 minutes ago, tyhackman15 said:

Yeah that's fair, it's kind of built on a swamp.  Which is a shame, because a few big lots with a skid pad, auto-x, and drift potential would really bring in some "off-season" traffic there. 

 

$500 dollars for 3 laps around our Audi Autocross pro track ™️       $750 for each lap around the Audi Extreme Drift school Experience drift lap ™️

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, tyhackman15 said:

Yeah that's fair, it's kind of built on a swamp.  Which is a shame, because a few big lots with a skid pad, auto-x, and drift potential would really bring in some "off-season" traffic there. 

I suggest you take a look at some satellite photos of the track..... 🙂

Just for giggles, I did it for you:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/cota/@30.1396919,-97.6313824,387m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, Matt93SE said:

I suggest you take a look at some satellite photos of the track..... 🙂

Just for giggles, I did it for you:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/cota/@30.1396919,-97.6313824,387m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

That is where they had the Mazda experience during indy.   They  had an autox setup you could drive around on. 

Also during super lap battle last year they were doing drifting and drift ride alongs in the upper paddock.   Cota has a lot to offer even in the off season, it's just so expensive.     

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, lobster said:

  Cota has a lot to offer even in the off season, it's just so expensive.     

Fools and their money.

Consider the audience they're serving-- COTA's entire point of being is an entertainment venue, which means 100% of their revenue is tied to disposable income.  People with fast cars that like driving fast, and/or concert goers looking for entertainment.

That provides the capitalist with an opportunity to charge high entry fees to a well-heeled audience to participate in an activity to spend their disposable income.  And because OMG F1 TRACK!!!!, people stand at the gate and wave lots of it at them.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Matt93SE said:

I suggest you take a look at some satellite photos of the track..... 🙂

Just for giggles, I did it for you:  https://www.google.com/maps/search/cota/@30.1396919,-97.6313824,387m/data=!3m1!1e3

 

Um, I'm familiar with COTA.  They use a small parking lot for Auto-X.  The "skid pad" is for the audi experience and it's not real.  Most of the lines in the main lot are also from the audi experience.  None of this is "public"

I know lonestar drift has been trying to get more time there.  They did an exhibit during global time attach and it drew more attendance than the damn race lol

 

Edit: none of this matters, just thinking out loud.  F1 should have some nice weather, so that's a positive. 

Share this post


Link to post

I paid $110 for a 3 day parking pass in lot K, right across the street from the Turn 11 entrance. I thought it was a pretty good deal. Never took us more than about 20 minutes to clear the traffic on the back roads around the track, and we left at pretty peak hours all 3 days. 

It would be insane for them to pave enough parking for the 3 days a year they need to fit 270,000+ people in there. I think MotoGP is the next largest event they hold there and its less than half the attendance of F1.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty awesome weekend.  I wasn't a fan of COTA facility for many reasons (mostly commercial), but they put together an AMAZING event this weekend and the way they treated the kids was pretty damn awesome.

I didn't get any decent pics of the opening ceremony thing since one of the other dads had a good camera.  I gave him my spot at the hole in the fence in exchange for his promise to get me a few pics of the kiddo.  These two are the ones he sent me this morning.  said he was still going through everything, but had to do the work thing today and will upload more later.

DSC_9843.jpg

DSC_9864.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...