Sign in to follow this  
AhmadHasib

Coilovers, Sway Bars, & End Link Talk - Track Use Only

My new Miata has a J32 swap and coilovers from a company called Flatout Suspension with external reservoirs . Haven't read much on them except they used to be big in the Subaru world, and are now out of business. My previous Miata had Ohlins as per the recommendation from Gas Head Motorworks. I was happy with them, no complaints. Then again, I never had anything else to compare them to. Wanted to get some feedback on what you would consider the best coilovers/sway bar/end links setup for a track use only Miata. Will only be participating in the National HPDE Championships. Will never be driven on the streets unless it's going to and from MSR Houston.

I've come across the big named items: Xida Gen 2's, Flyin' Miata Fox Suspension, and Ohlins. I've been told Xidas is like Gods butter. Is there one from the bunch you recommend, or anything else that I haven't listed?

I've had the Ohlins and the Fox suspension and they're both good, but I prefer the Ohlins. I would just get them with some softer shocks for our bumpy Texas Tracks when ordered so they're valved appropriately.

49 minutes ago, z28pwr said:

I've had the Ohlins and the Fox suspension and they're both good, but I prefer the Ohlins. I would just get them with some softer shocks for our bumpy Texas Tracks when ordered so they're valved appropriately.

What spring rates would you recommend?

Unless you're getting baller mode Ohlins they're not even actually Ohlins, might as well just get any of the taiwan two piece coils (BC, Fortune, MeisterR, etc). Fox, Xida, MCS, etc are all actually designed for the chassis (single piece body properly sized for lowered miata, custom valving, and so on). Assuming upgraded sway bars (Go to is RB front / 14mm rear) 800/500 is the starting point for your typical 205/225 200TW-40TW tired miata with no aero. I actually run 800/400 for 205 R7's, but 500r is better on streets. The R7's just have so much more grip that I was getting a bit too much oversteer in highspeed corners. Just prefer a slightly softer rear for the full sends. 

Xida Gen2 and Fox are the best value for what you're getting. You can go better, but you'll spend more. 

EDIT: Also SM Penske's, forgot about those. They're valved specifically for SM spring rates of 700/325, but I bet they could handle slightly differing rates. On the other hand SM Penskes / sways with RS4's felt fantastic when I drove on them. Will come in about the same price as Fox/Xida. No adjustability (which honestly, probably isn't a negative for the vast majority - focus more on drivermod / less on setup changes) and might actually be the best value out there.

Shameless plug.. Don't buy a new 14mm rear sway.. buy mine, never used for less.

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

Shameless plug.. Don't buy a new 14mm rear sway.. buy mine, never used for less.

PM the info on your rear sway bar. I’ll reach out when I get around to dumping my retirement into the suspension 😅

I spoke to Ed at 949 racing earlier today. He took out some time to educate me on the Xidas. Chances are I’ll go that direction once I find out how the Flatout Suspension Coilovers handle.