Jump to content
joesurf79

ChampCar 9/28 - 9/29 Anyone else going?

Recommended Posts

Ya the slick track made for some interesting racing. I had one off in turn 8 where the car just decided to do its own thing...very slow and no damage. I got lots of video to process, will take a while..but i'll post a highlights video when i can.

Share this post


Link to post

Not so great for us.  Saturday started off strong, our first driver passed many sleeping drivers at the drop of the green flag.   First stint went great and 20 minutes into the second stint a coolant port that was capped, came loose and we lost all coolant.  Temps looked fine because a coolant temp gauge only works if there is coolant in the system!  Engine was cooked.

Thank you to everyone who either lended a hand, tool, advice!  We found an engine in Georgetown, swapped it out over night and buttoned it up around 11:30 Sunday morning.  From then we had one or two small issues until the end of the race on Sunday.  

Bummer, the car had great pace, but shit happens!  

Congrats on the win!  Joe, congrats on the great finish on Saturday!

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, clifton23 said:

Congrats on the win!  Joe, congrats on the great finish on Saturday!

Thanks Cliff! Sorry about you guys luck. I was the guy the engine popped (lliterally) on last year.

Endurance racing is for sure a war of attrition...And my team had prepped an utterly reliable car. Thankfully, the other three drivers were fast enough to drive around my 2 hours of consistent suck/mediocrity laps to earn this little guy on Saturday ;) 816900902_trophy2.thumb.jpg.16cdabf90f274ffbb1a592ae64e8c581.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
38 minutes ago, clifton23 said:

Not so great for us.  Saturday started off strong, our first driver passed many sleeping drivers at the drop of the green flag.   First stint went great and 20 minutes into the second stint a coolant port that was capped, came loose and we lost all coolant.  Temps looked fine because a coolant temp gauge only works if there is coolant in the system!  Engine was cooked.

Thank you to everyone who either lended a hand, tool, advice!  We found an engine in Georgetown, swapped it out over night and buttoned it up around 11:30 Sunday morning.  From then we had one or two small issues until the end of the race on Sunday.  

Bummer, the car had great pace, but shit happens!  

Congrats on the win!  Joe, congrats on the great finish on Saturday!

 

Sorry to hear that, I have been thinking about getting a pressure sensor.

where you in a Miata? Someone asked us for a Miata engine 🙂

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, turbogrill said:

 

Sorry to hear that, I have been thinking about getting a pressure sensor.

where you in a Miata? Someone asked us for a Miata engine 🙂

 

Yes.  Green miata.  Oil Temp Sensor > all other sensors..   I've seen engines get smoked because they only relied on coolant sensors.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, clifton23 said:

Yes.  Green miata.  Oil Temp Sensor > all other sensors..   I've seen engines get smoked because they only relied on coolant sensors.

happened to me, same story. Coolant hose clamped came loose.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, clifton23 said:

wowww

I'm sure the O2 sensor was real happy too...Didn't seem to phase Josh behind the wheel at all - throwing down 8-9 laps in a row in the 1:34s towards the end of the last session!

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

I mean, rich = more fuel = more fast, right?

I wish 😕 Doesn't the NA/NB ECU's just go closed loop if it loses it?

Share this post


Link to post
4 minutes ago, Solo_S14 said:

I mean, rich = more fuel = more fast, right?

I like your style sir :)

He said he was going to zap the factory manifold back together with the MIG when he got home but we have 100 pts to play with to the A class limit. So the obvious choice has to be a horribly mismatched, junkyard found snail shaped boost maker, right?

Or flip the manifold on the head, holesaw a hood exit and run the tractor pull glory that racing the car obviously wants to have...

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

I wish 😕 Doesn't the NA/NB ECU's just go closed loop if it loses it?

The car has an aftermarket ecu ( megasquirt something or other IIRC), not sure what it uses to magic the car into running at WOT.

I'm painfully ignorant when it comes to the electronics side of performance in cars.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

I like your style sir 🙂

He said he was going to zap the factory manifold back together with the MIG when he got home but we have 100 pts to play with to the A class limit. So the obvious choice has to be a horribly mismatched, junkyard found snail shaped boost maker, right?

Or flip the manifold on the head, holesaw a hood exit and run the tractor pull glory that racing the car obviously wants to have...

Why not both?

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

I wish 😕 Doesn't the NA/NB ECU's just go closed loop if it loses it?

I was just kidding, I’m a recovering boost junkie, and there, at max timing, less fuel = more fast, until boom.  I would assume regular air pumps are the same?  And opposite for diesel??  If only there was a free, universally accessible body of knowledge that I could fact check before making a fool of myself online...

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...