snakeeyes1

H2R Track Record

My only times at H2r were in the wet/drying before the repave. I was in the 1:28-29's on RS3's no aero. I think that was the weekend I blew one of my rear dampers. I'm not sure I want to put the car through that sort of abuse again. I'm sure the repave helped, but looking at Mark Perry's video, it look like it is going back to its bumpy stage.

here's a video going CCW from march 2010, the last time I was out there

here's Mark's video from last weekend

Mark Perry? So that's the new miata lap record? I know Colin's NB isn't done yet.

Yep, unofficially. Well done Mark and Chris. You will not see the time on the board since neither he or the driver are a H2R member but in my mind it counts just the same. I will not rest until I beat that lap time which means I need to aim for the 1:24.X range. Then of course Mark will return determined to beat that, and around and around it goes. This could turn into something really interesting.

The only thing about pushing REALLY, REALLY hard at H2R, looking for tenths, is the track is rough enough in some spots to cause loss of control (or flat spots ) if you are just a teeny bit off-line and right on the edge of adhesion. That or the suspension takes a real beating.

Yep, unofficially. Well done Mark and Chris. You will not see the time on the board since neither he or the driver are a H2R member but in my mind it counts just the same. I will not rest until I beat that lap time which means I need to aim for the 1:24.X range. Then of course Mark will return determined to beat that, and around and around it goes. This could turn into something really interesting.

The only thing about pushing REALLY, REALLY hard at H2R, looking for tenths, is the track is rough enough in some spots to cause loss of control (or flat spots ) if you are just a teeny bit off-line and right on the edge of adhesion. That or the suspension takes a real beating.

i don't care about the board, if the laptime was on some sort of transponder or gps timer it's official to me. as far as the rough spots, the correct line might be different than the classic line due to bumps. that's nothing new at H2R though, there's corners that are smooth that if you take the traditional line you loose seconds due to being off camber, surface, etc... when i run the best line through t9 i don't feel much of a bump. and the bumps i do feel in other areas may be scary at first, but they don't affect my line or traction, so i just put them out of my head and charge it. if they are really affecting you you must change your line, or possibly change your spring rates/valving. on the big dips, if your low speed valving is right, the car just soaks it up without any drama. watch some high end cars out there with factory spring/shocks sometime. looks like a walk in the park. my buddies porsche on DA motons has no problems at H2R, high spring rates and all.

I think we are in agreement.

Chris' lap time counts, member or not, on the board or not. I am out to beat it regardless. Until I hear or do otherwise, that is the fastest Miata time at H2R.

I have said similar things before about H2R's surface. For example I think I am repeating myself from somewhere before about T9 when I write that once I became accustomed to the T9 washboard surface, and realized I did not drift wide uncontrollably from the suspension breaking traction, now I just grin and bear it. Clipping the death bump at the T9 apex this last weekend was me trying to compensate for the car's understeer by moving my line inward. Bad idea with that bump there and I won't do it again.

Everyone is racing on the same track. But all else being equal, same equipment, same driver, IMO H2R is a tougher track to push the limit on due to the relatively rough surface. I still like the track though, which is why I became a member after all.

Any suspension will see more wear on a rough surface versus a smooth one because it is stressed harder.

John (zxtex)

We (Chris and I) are ready for ya :)

Thanks again for letting us run at H2R we have only been on track there a couple of times so it was great fun running on a like new track to us.

While I did add ride height and set the rebound for a uneven track surface I had no idea just how much H2R really works the suspension. If we ever have another session there I will have to put the suspension in off road mode :)

Mark

Well, I finally busted 1:30's in the Miata. Yesterday I got down to 1:29.69 on the lap timer.

I dropped 8 seconds a lap in the first six months, it took me another six months to drop the last three tenths. I still think breaking into the 28's is possible. I could never string together that perfect lap, but sub 30's started to come easy(ish)...

I set my personal best last month...

Date: December 30, 2011

Lap time: 1:32.208 (Trackmaster on Android with QStarz 10hz bluetooth)

Car: 2000 Miata, mild headwork, basic bolt-ons

Power: Not sure, guessing 130-140 RWHP

Tires: 225/45/15 Nitto NT01s on 15x9 6ULs

Temp: 65*F

550/350 Koni Sports, Race Valving on Ground Control 550/350

After corner balancing my S2000 and installing a Hondata flashpro, I did a 129.1 last Saturday on worn RS3's. That is compared to my previous best of 130.4.

The flashpro let me get into Vtech at 4k RPMs instead of 6.2k so it helps out of the corners.

Next I will have some R888 scrubs - my first R compound tires - and see if I can get into the 128's.

I was really pumped, the corner balancing made all the difference in the handling. :clapping:

I got my personal best that's actually recorded today! yahoo.gif Does this mean I hold the record for non-turbo, non-AWD Lancers (...by default)? Haha.

Eh, following RavynX's format:

Date: May 20, 2012

Lap time: 1:40.10 (Harry's LapTimer, iPhone 4)

Car: '10 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS (with a CVT, lulz)

Power: Supposedly 168 hp of extra lulz

Tires: 225/40/18 Star Specs on stock wheels

Temp: 90ish, sunny, muggy and hot

I think Harry's LapTimer secretly hates my guts. There always seems to be a catch on what it picks up. For the longest time, it just wasn't working right because I would stick my phone in my console (bad reception; only sporadically recorded laps) or I thought I pressed the button and I must have not pressed the *right* button. I got curious about laptimes today and shoved it in my cupholders to see if THAT would work. Previous best (that actually recorded, grr) was a 1:43.57 on March 4. So, huge improvement. Yay!

Catch of the day: I've been reeeeeaaaally sick all week (bad cold; coughing all the time) and there was *tons* of dirt in the inside of T5 that forced me to go around the outside of it. Boo, dirt. I think I would've gotten in the high 1:30s without that there. (ETA: official doctor's verdict = sinus infection. Ew.)

You guys should have closed the track to clean up the mess in T5. Also, ask Philipp to borrow one of the two satellite gps timers they have for H2R. :) Congrats on getting a record recorded; time to start whittling it down. ;)

I forgot to write down breaking my personal best back on May 5th...

Date: May 5, 2012

Lap time: 1:31.79 (H2R Solo Satellite device)

Car: 2000 Miata, mild headwork, basic bolt-ons

Power: Not sure, guessing 130-140 RWHP

Tires: 225/45/15 Nitto NT01s on 15x9 6ULs (fronts slightly flatspotted)

Temp: 90*F

550/350 Koni Sports, Race Valving on Ground Control 550/350

Video...

[media=]

[/media]

You guys should have closed the track to clean up the mess in T5. Also, ask Philipp to borrow one of the two satellite gps timers they have for H2R. :) Congrats on getting a record recorded; time to start whittling it down. ;)

Heh, it wasn't there long and got cleaned up afterwards, but it was the end of the day. (No time for a re-do lap. Poot.)

I had the E36 M3 out on the track yesterday (Sunday) and managed a 1:37.0. This is in a stock car (supercharger disconnected) with a lot of weight added via the stereo system and the heavy-ass spare wheel that was still in the trunk. I am on Hankook V12s, and have glazed-over brake rotors with unknown type street pads. Whatever, I'll take it. It was good to finally be back on the track.

So this is the first time I have driven over the half-pipe on the front straight. Going CCW it is not too bad. I could drive through there without lifting much if any. Going CW, holy sh... it is a lot worse. I found a line close to the inside that was not too bad. In my track car with its stiff suspension that bump would have not been fun at all.

The launch ramp at 11 is sooooo much less bumpy if you stick your left wheels on the concrete strip at that turn. Sooooo much better.

The launch ramp at 11 is sooooo much less bumpy if you stick your left wheels on the concrete strip at that turn. Sooooo much better.

It is. Unfortunately that's a (little) bit of a compromised line through 11.

I had the E36 M3 out on the track yesterday (Sunday) and managed a 1:37.0. This is in a stock car (supercharger disconnected) with a lot of weight added via the stereo system and the heavy-ass spare wheel that was still in the trunk. I am on Hankook V12s, and have glazed-over brake rotors with unknown type street pads. Whatever, I'll take it. It was good to finally be back on the track.

So this is the first time I have driven over the half-pipe on the front straight. Going CCW it is not too bad. I could drive through there without lifting much if any. Going CW, holy sh... it is a lot worse. I found a line close to the inside that was not too bad. In my track car with its stiff suspension that bump would have not been fun at all.

I think you might have seen this already but our suspensions are pretty much identical. The bump is harsh enough to bounce the soft top and if you REALLY want to get airborne just go down the middle of it in my car. dance.gif

1:39.78!

Same car, 81 outside according to the car's thermometer, aaaaand I left the A/C on full blast like a 'tard. "Why don't I have any power coming out of the hairpin?"