Sign in to follow this  
cabowabo

1997 Lexus SC400 - Resistance is futile

So, after being turned on to the SC chassis by our very own GONK, reading up, test driving, deciding if I REALLY like the car...I pulled the trigger. Plans are pretty simple; Coilovers, wheels, Supra TT brakes, and very likely a CD009 6 speed swap unless I just completely sell out and keep the 4 speed auto. Have had this car a week and absolutely love it. Tanabe exhaust is on the way to let the 1UZ sing the song of its people and if not satisfied, we'll head over to an exhaust shop to cut out resonators and build a proper cat-back. As is this thing is already performing perfectly as a DD/Grand Tourer, but ulimtaely I'd like to have it in a position that if I'd like to go romp on it around Thunderhill, Sonoma, Laguna Seca, *insert Cali track here*, without towing, it can handle it.

sc400.jpg

First mod is done! Tanabe Medallion Touring axle back with what appeared to be hilariously large exhaust tips while uninstalled (as evidenced by the fisting). The ease of install bodes well for future projects, not even a little bit of surface rust underneath and the exhaust flange nuts came off like the system was put together yesterday. I expect the new mufflers to get a little deeper/mellow over the next few hundred miles, but already thinking the resonaters gotta go. With three cats in the system it still seems pretty quiet, but will evaluate in a month or so.

https://youtu.be/T3BKXOXKeaI

20190827_142954.jpg

20190827_155447.jpg

20190827_145659.jpg

Exhaust looks and sounds good. Better jump on those transmissions fast; I've heard they have so many swap kits now for them their becoming quite rare.

1 hour ago, IanIsInGarage said:

Exhaust looks and sounds good. Better jump on those transmissions fast; I've heard they have so many swap kits now for them their becoming quite rare.

Well dang, if the CD009 gets or is too pricey there's always AR5. 

3 hours ago, Hollywood said:

That exhaust sounds A+ proper.

Almost. Pretty sure I'll be deleting the resonators to let a little more rowdiness through.

17 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Almost. Pretty sure I'll be deleting the resonators to let a little more rowdiness through.

you don't say...

chips.jpg

3 hours ago, KevinDB said:

you don't say...

Bah, just a buncha fear mongering! 😛 Even if I delete the resonators it'll still be way less loud/rowdy than basically every Mustang GT / Vette / *insert hemi powered vehicle here* on the road. I've honestly heard a whole crap load of decently loud to OBNOXIOUSLY loud exhausts since moving here and none of them have been pulled over on the side of the road. The SC will easily fly under the radar for all but the most aggro officer.  

22 hours ago, cabowabo said:

Bah, just a buncha fear mongering! 😛 Even if I delete the resonators it'll still be way less loud/rowdy than basically every Mustang GT / Vette / *insert hemi powered vehicle here* on the road. I've honestly heard a whole crap load of decently loud to OBNOXIOUSLY loud exhausts since moving here and none of them have been pulled over on the side of the road. The SC will easily fly under the radar for all but the most aggro officer.  

Haha yep.  Dunno 'bout the sac but SF to MtV I had no issues in 3 years. Commuted daily by rowdy motorcycle.  LEO was not prominent and pretty chill.

Today, the resonators met their end. I'm very pleased with the outcome! Added the missing volume and rowdiness a 4l v8 should have, but with 3 cats / 2 mufflers it's still plenty comfy on the highway and for DD duty. 

Resonators

Resonator delete