robertcope

The canopies are fixed!

I'm assuming they were damaged in some way?  I've never been there before.  

My first event is 9/14 next month though.  Is the canopies reserved for use or first come first serve?  I'm a little unsure of how the typical operation of an event works.  I'll be that noob at the track asking all the dumb questions lol

17 minutes ago, Talley said:

I'm assuming they were damaged in some way?  I've never been there before.  

My first event is 9/14 next month though.  Is the canopies reserved for use or first come first serve?  I'm a little unsure of how the typical operation of an event works.  I'll be that noob at the track asking all the dumb questions lol

They've been busted for 2 years almost to the day. 

It became a joke that they were just never gonna fix them.  

It still remains to be seen if they're gonna do more than the bare minimum.   

A DE weekend with Chin, TDE etc you can "reserve" a canopy spot.   A member day its first come first serve. 

Yup, for a TDE event there's an option to add "garage space" when you register. I believe it's $40 for the weekend.

However, be aware of this: unless these new canopies are a different material, they're only good for shade - they do not stop water. So you'll still need some way to keep your stuff dry if it's a wet weekend.

38 minutes ago, N546RV said:

Yup, for a TDE event there's an option to add "garage space" when you register. I believe it's $40 for the weekend.

However, be aware of this: unless these new canopies are a different material, they're only good for shade - they do not stop water. So you'll still need some way to keep your stuff dry if it's a wet weekend.

I was planning on an enclosed trailer left hooked to my truck.  I have a popup tent I can use for shade and I suppose I can drive the car into the trailer if it rains but rain won't melt the car or anything ya know.  

The "timing tower" is currently being repaired too, but it will not be rebuilt as it was previously--   it's going to be converted to single story structure with an observation deck on top.

For those that don't know the whole history, there were 1 or 2 of the canopies that were dead from just old age.   one on the far end got hit by an enclosed trailer (multiple times) and damaged it.

....Then a tornado hit the track at an SCCA race a couple years ago (I can't remember if it was memorial day or labor day race weekend).  It ripped the roof off the timing building and dumped it on the track in Diamonds Edge.. on its way there, a section of roof landed on top of the garages and punched a hole in the roof.  the canopies were also damaged pretty bad in the process- not sure if that was due to being struck by the roofing material, or whether the tornado just ripped it all apart. 

The entire back straight was covered in sheet metal, nails, and other construction debris.  corner workers and track staff spent a couple hours walking the track picking up nails and wood and whatnot.  The All of the timing equipment and CCTV system was damaged since the equipment racks were in the old timing tower and got wet.  the track was out of power due to a power line down at the entry, so one of the racers loaned a generator to race control for the day.  they were able to set up a temporary timing system and whatnot, and race control moved into the "fitness center" and spent the day in there with no A/C.   (it was well over 100F inside there since there is only the single door and air couldn't circulate!)

Amazingly, the only private property damage I've heard of was a couple EZ-ups that were left out, one struck a car and caused a flat, and something hit an RV punching a hole in it.

So that's how the track got to the condition it was in.  Why it took 2 years to repair, I do not know.

Very cool! I was worried that this would steer towards the TWS way with no more money being put into it..but this is a positive sign that the track will stay open for a few more years. That's what I'm telling myself at least

20 minutes ago, BigMonkey73 said:

Very cool! I was worried that this would steer towards the TWS way with no more money being put into it..but this is a positive sign that the track will stay open for a few more years. That's what I'm telling myself at least

Yup, those are the same concerns I had, not just due to the amount of time it took to get things repaired, but because there seemed to be no progress being made at all. I'm happy to see things getting fixed. I love the big track at Cresson and all, but it sure is nice having a track just an hour from home...

I was using the missing canopies as an excuse for not becoming a member.  It is nice to see some basic maintenance finally getting done.  Guess  I'm now in search of a new excuse.....

Just now, Pete said:

I was using the missing canopies as an excuse for not becoming a member.  It is nice to see some basic maintenance finally getting done.  Guess  I'm now in search of a new excuse.....

just keep using the same excuse.   2 years is unacceptable.   It'll be another 2 years before anything else is fixed. 

15 minutes ago, Pete said:

Here's one: it's a lot of money for a flat, no thrill track.

22 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Blasphemy!

There is at least 3ft of elevation change.

No thrill?  But it has so much going on, you can forgo braking and catch some air at The Launch, you can jump curbs and stay WOT through T1 - pretty thrilling to slide at high speeds towards a concrete wall!  Then all of these incredible features:

Sweets shop (Sugar & Spice)

Medical / nutritionist care (gut check)

Locksmith / creepy peeper services (keyhole)

Public transportation (bus stop)

Cleaning services (the sweeper)

Meditation / contemplation spa (the back straight)

Specialized jeweler (diamonds edge)

Amusement park (carousel)

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!!!!

If you sign up in the next 14 seconds, you will have the chance to receive not 1, not 2, but 4!!! LIFECHANGING SLAPCHOPS!!

1 hour ago, Hollywood said:

Welllll it's all we got.

17 minutes ago, robertcope said:

Welllll it's all we got.

That’s why I’m a member 😎😂

2 hours ago, Pete said:

Me too! Sh*t, I may have to go for it now!

On 8/29/2019 at 12:38 PM, Hollywood said:

That’s why I’m a member 😎😂

Ditto. More motivated by the passing of TWS. 😏

On 8/29/2019 at 10:45 AM, Hollywood said:

Pretty sure it's club dependent.

The track rents the canopies. I called them when I didn't see rentals on Motorsport Registration. They said they moved to Track Rabbit. They also moved the Friday Test-n-Tunes registration to Track Rabbit.

didn't use the canopies this weekend, but there's only about 20 ft of metal roofing on top of the garages..  it was brutal hot over the weekend and more shade would be appreciated.  I know they're working on it, but daaaaaamn that sucked having no shade up there!

On 8/29/2019 at 11:43 AM, KevinDB said:

Blasphemy!

There is at least 3ft of elevation change.

No thrill?  But it has so much going on, you can forgo braking and catch some air at The Launch, you can jump curbs and stay WOT through T1 - pretty thrilling to slide at high speeds towards a concrete wall!  Then all of these incredible features:

Sweets shop (Sugar & Spice)

Medical / nutritionist care (gut check)

Locksmith / creepy peeper services (keyhole)

Public transportation (bus stop)

Cleaning services (the sweeper)

Meditation / contemplation spa (the back straight)

Specialized jeweler (diamonds edge)

Amusement park (carousel)

BUT WAIT THERES MORE!!!!!!

If you sign up in the next 14 seconds, you will have the chance to receive not 1, not 2, but 4!!! LIFECHANGING SLAPCHOPS!!

This post deserves more credit   lol

Well done sir. The slapchops definitely got me haha

8 hours ago, BigMonkey73 said:

This post deserves more credit   lol

Well done sir. The slapchops definitely got me haha

Haha thanks.  I'm generally just here (in life) to amuse/annoy myself.