El_Tortuga

SRF

On 8/23/2019 at 5:50 PM, Hollywood said:

Alright so I'm genuinely not trying to be a smart ass here and have an actual want of further education:

What makes SRF so different from the Motul race fluids besides 40 deg raise in ceiling? I've never known brake fluids to be anything but a consumable when you bleed every weekend etc. in race conditions so I'm mega curious.

SRF has a chelating agent in it that chemically pulls water out so that its temperature rating stays good for longer.

Y’all really don’t just type “Castrol SRF” on Google shopping and buy wherever it is cheaper?

just bought from a wanky website called speedforall with PayPal for $65 shipped

Guest lobster
14 minutes ago, HDA said:

Y’all really don’t just type “Castrol SRF” on Google shopping and buy wherever it is cheaper?

just bought from a wanky website called speedforall with PayPal for $65 shipped

that's exactly what i do.  It's "usually" around 65 bucks on amazon.   if it aint ill look elsewhere. 

43 minutes ago, robertcope said:

It's priced the same basically everywhere. I just buy it from Amazon. I know what the experience is going to be like, don't proliferate my credit card number more, etc, etc. No reason to complicate shit over $3.

Mmm PayPal and $15 - I’ll experiment!

14 hours ago, Captain Buddha said:

You guys actually work on your own cars??!!?? LOL 

Congrats on your station in life, but weren't you the one Facebook posting about P-car vs tube frame snobbery?

I'm just happy I can scrape together enough to keep my Ford flying.

On 8/23/2019 at 6:20 PM, lobster said:

http://torquebrakefluid.com/compare_torque_rt700_to_other_brake_fluids.html     while its from a competing fluid its a pretty good break down. 

I'm not sure what its like on smaller cars but if I look at my brake pedal the wrong way my brakes get hot.   I've had crap for luck with anything other than SRF for mushy pedal after just a handful of laps. 

You still have factory brakes? IIRC The Z51 brakes are only marginally better than the base. There’s not much you can do - of course driving style, terrain/elevation change and track layout play a factor. 

In my C7 base, I run the RacingBrake 380/365 BBK along with Motul 600. No fade for me. Track at Hallett regularly. Also Cresson 1.7 & 3.1]

^These brakes are awesome. 

1 minute ago, SAD said:

You still have factory brakes? IIRC The Z51 brakes are only marginally better than the base. There’s not much you can do - of course driving style, terrain/elevation and track layout play a factor. 

In my C7 base, I run the RacingBrake 380/365 BBK along with Motul 600. No fade for me. Track at Hallett regularly. Also Cresson 1.7 & 3.1]

Driver and track dependent TBH (MSRC/Hallett to me are light on the brakes but ?‍♂️). 

1 minute ago, Hollywood said:

Driver and track dependent TBH (MSRC/Hallett to me are light on the brakes but ?‍♂️). 

Yeah Cresson is not too bad on them....the straights do allow some decent speed... and the braking zones (CCW 3.1) are (kinda mostly-ish headed uphill - with exception of Ricochet. 

Hallett turns generally have you scrubbing off a lot of speed. Somewhere around here I made a sat map showing my speed at the end of straights.. and mid corner/exit speeds. 

Guest lobster
1 hour ago, SAD said:

You still have factory brakes? IIRC The Z51 brakes are only marginally better than the base. There’s not much you can do - of course driving style, terrain/elevation change and track layout play a factor. 

My Z51 brakes caught on fire at COTA.   

I now have the J56 brake kit from the Z06.  

Also interesting exercise with your speed map.   I looked at some data from the last time I was there. 

IMG_2878.jpeg

Screen Shot 2019-08-29 at 6.08.03 PM.png

pretty interesting comparison to a hellcat.   Obviously cornering speeds are gonna be different.    also that's pretty rad that you figured out how to turn a hellcat without a harbor pilot. 

Nice comparison. My Vette speeds are more inline with yours than with the Hellcat. Lower speed entering the braking zone; higher mid-turn/exit speed. 

So even with the Z06 parts you’re getting fade? I’m not 100% familiar with all that’s included in the Z06 brakes.... does it have vented pistons?  Do you have the Z06 grill and brake cooling ductwork?

Guest lobster
1 minute ago, SAD said:

Nice comparison. My Vette speeds are more inline with yours than with the Hellcat. Lower speed entering the braking zone; higher mid-turn/exit speed. 

So even with the Z06 parts you’re getting fade? I’m not 100% familiar with all that’s included in the Z06 brakes.... does it have vented pistons?  Do you have the Z06 grill and brake cooling ductwork?

I don't really get fade... its more just mushy pedal with anything other than SRF, like its fine its just not confidence inspiring.    Would be curious to see what your speeds are at hallett in your C7 if you have the data.   im not particularly great at hallett.  

The Z06 brakes are just much larger, 6 piston, if i remember they are vented pistons and the rotors are 2 piece.    

I have a Z06 grill with the cooling duct but the deflector behind the rotor was removed because of the wheels.   Don't really seem to have a heat issue anymore the last time I used some of that fancy heat paint. 

52 minutes ago, lobster said:

I don't really get fade... its more just mushy pedal with anything other than SRF, like its fine its just not confidence inspiring.    Would be curious to see what your speeds are at hallett in your C7 if you have the data.   im not particularly great at hallett.  

The Z06 brakes are just much larger, 6 piston, if i remember they are vented pistons and the rotors are 2 piece.    

I have a Z06 grill with the cooling duct but the deflector behind the rotor was removed because of the wheels.   Don't really seem to have a heat issue anymore the last time I used some of that fancy heat paint. 

I have a Solo2DL I’ve been messing with. It’s pretty new to me. So about the time I was getting it figured out, I bought the Atom. So my data is incomplete for Vette laps. Mostly used it as fancy stopwatch while learn and practice using it. So going just by my own personal memory, it was largely just like what you posted. 

Im not bad at Hallett. But not great either. I can bang out 1:27s and 1:28s back to back all day long. And now that I have the Atom, I’ll probably forget how to drive the Vette. Now that I’m pretty much resetting myself getting used to the rear engine Atom, compared to the very neutral Vette. Lol

Guest lobster
33 minutes ago, SAD said:

I have a Solo2DL I’ve been messing with. It’s pretty new to me. So about the time I was getting it figured out, I bought the Atom. So my data is incomplete for Vette laps. Mostly used it as fancy stopwatch while learn and practice using it. So going just by my own personal memory, it was largely just like what you posted. 

Im not bad at Hallett. But not great either. I can bang out 1:27s and 1:28s back to back all day long. And now that I have the Atom, I’ll probably forget how to drive the Vette. Now that I’m pretty much resetting myself getting used to the rear engine Atom, compared to the very neutral Vette. Lol

Does your C7 have the PDR, I sometimes regret not getting it but it would probably just be in the way now anyway.    

I bet the atom is fun as hell.    my pb at hallett is 1:20 hope to hit 1:18 next year.        

1 hour ago, lobster said:

It’s the Hawk pads broski

11 hours ago, El_Tortuga said:

Congrats on your station in life, but weren't you the one Facebook posting about P-car vs tube frame snobbery?

I'm just happy I can scrape together enough to keep my Ford flying.

I was teasing / joking...wifey and I were out in the garage earlier tonight prepping the Full Monte for ECR this weekend. Yep, that was me! LOL

7 hours ago, lobster said:

Does your C7 have the PDR, I sometimes regret not getting it but it would probably just be in the way now anyway.    

I bet the atom is fun as hell.    my pb at hallett is 1:20 hope to hit 1:18 next year.        

Yeah... I've got the PDR. I really liked how 'easy' it was.... just turn it on and go. But the image quality is only 720p... Kinda lame if you're used to using GoPro with 1080P+ The other problem with it, is the fact that I haven't figured out how to change the font color for the time in the final image.. Also can't figure out how to move it to a different spot on the screen. Problem with it - Magenta text against blue sky is next to impossible to read.

7 hours ago, Kong Sheng Han said:

It’s the Hawk pads broski

I've no experience with the Hawk pads in the vette.... but am running the carbon ceramic pads from Cobalt Friction.... really liking them.