JoshEE

New K24Z3 miata swap kit from K-Miata

Interesting new swap option:

https://kmiata.com/blogs/news/game-changer-the-new-k24z3-swap-is-here

I've gathered all the parts for an Ecotec swap from EcotecMiata, and I think I'll stay the course since everything is currently in my garage and it seems be a pretty well proven swap at this point, but this seems like a pretty interesting option.

I'm curious to hear what others think?

Having been a KMiata early adopter and gone through the full K24A2 swap, I'll say the new  K24Z swap setup looks AWESOME. Their later K20A series stuff corrected most of the early issues and is pretty dang good quality. Something I'll consider instead of another ecotec...

It's not obvious, but this setup solves a lot of the pain, cost, and challenge of the earlier K series and other KMiata swap solution.

-does not require an aftermaket header (cheaper!)

-does not require a tubular or modified subframe and/or NB steering rack swap (cheaper and you can run in ST4!)

-uses  a factory accessory belt tensioner setup.

-incorporates an internal clutch slave cylinder/hydraulic bearing (eliminates exhaust clearance issues)

-OEM GM motor mount hardware with their adapters

You will still need:

-Kmiata flyhweel, adapter plate, engine mounts, intake manifold, downpipe, oil pan/pump, timing cover, coolant adapter block

-Cable operate throttle body

-Fuel solution

-Clutch

-Engine management - but sounds like you can use Kpro etc for an earlier generation with the timing cover incorporating the K20A style crank sensor

18 minutes ago, JoshEE said:

I've gathered all the parts for an Ecotec swap from EcotecMiata, and I think I'll stay the course since everything is currently in my garage and it seems be a pretty well proven swap at this point, but this seems like a pretty interesting option.

I will also say the Ecotec swap using the kit is not well proven or continuously improved like Kmiata's stuff. I'm looking at building my own Ecotec motor mounts with proper bushings, and I'm not super happy with the design of the oil pan or adapter plate either. The lead time for ecotec parts is also abysmal, whereas Kmiata is very honest and responsive as to what's in stock and when things are shipping.

6 hours ago, Shuka said:

Having been a KMiata early adopter and gone through the full K24A2 swap, I'll say the new  K24Z swap setup looks AWESOME. Their later K20A series stuff corrected most of the early issues and is pretty dang good quality. Something I'll consider instead of another ecotec...

It's not obvious, but this setup solves a lot of the pain, cost, and challenge of the earlier K series and other KMiata swap solution.
-does not require an aftermaket header (cheaper!)
-does not require a tubular or modified subframe and/or NB steering rack swap (cheaper and you can run in ST4!)
-uses  a factory accessory belt tensioner setup.
-incorporates an internal clutch slave cylinder/hydraulic bearing (eliminates exhaust clearance issues)
-OEM GM motor mount hardware with their adapters

You will still need:
-Kmiata flyhweel, adapter plate, engine mounts, intake manifold, downpipe, oil pan/pump, timing cover, coolant adapter block
-Cable operate throttle body
-Fuel solution
-Clutch
-Engine management - but sounds like you can use Kpro etc for an earlier generation with the timing cover incorporating the K20A style crank sensor

I will also say the Ecotec swap using the kit is not well proven or continuously improved like Kmiata's stuff. I'm looking at building my own Ecotec motor mounts with proper bushings, and I'm not super happy with the design of the oil pan or adapter plate either. The lead time for ecotec parts is also abysmal, whereas Kmiata is very honest and responsive as to what's in stock and when things are shipping.

I was hoping you'd reply 😁, I've followed both your swap threads and having direct experience with both companies gives you great insight here.

My comment on the Ecotec swap being well proven was from seeing a number of endurance racing teams running this swap as well as a few guys at Harris Hill that seem to have had success with the swap.  I completely agree with your comments on the lead time and communication with EcotecMiata, I had issues there as well but fortunately have all the parts in hand at this point.

It looks like this new kit includes quite a bit of the stuff you listed as still being needed to be provided, including the Kmiata flyhweel, adapter plate, engine mounts, intake manifold, downpipe, oil pan, timing cover, coolant adapter block.

Introductory pricing on the K24Z3 swap kit is $4295.00 and includes the following items:

-K series to Miata transmission adapter plate
-K series to Miata flywheel
-Machined engine mounts
-Engine mount pads
-Baffled aluminum oil pan with pickup tube
-KMiata K20 oil pump adapter
-Hydraulic clutch release bearing with clutch lines (5 or 6-speed)
-Wilwood ¾” master cylinder kit
-KMiata RWD intake manifold
-74mm throttle body
-Wiring conversion harness
-K24Z3 upper coolant neck
-Slim flywheel dust cover
-Serpentine belt
-Billet aluminum timing chain cover for K24A crank sensor
-3” downpipe with flex
-Optional upgrade: full 3” exhaust system with resonator and muffler (price to be announced shortly)

I'm trying to figure out what all parts specific to this swap would be needed including this kit, sounds like engine management, oil pump, crank sensor, engine/accessories, hoses and misc parts like that.  I'm not including stuff that's common to either swap like clutch, fuel system, etc...  Based on some quick numbers with what I've got into the Ecotec swap so far it seems like the K24Z3 swap will still be significantly more expensive, somewhere around $2-3k more.

Based on your experience with both swaps, and that this new K swap allows you to keep the stock subframe to stay eligible for ST4, if you were to start over again which would you personally choose?

14 hours ago, JoshEE said:

I'm trying to figure out what all parts specific to this swap would be needed including this kit, sounds like engine management, oil pump, crank sensor, engine/accessories, hoses and misc parts like that.  I'm not including stuff that's common to either swap like clutch, fuel system, etc...  Based on some quick numbers with what I've got into the Ecotec swap so far it seems like the K24Z3 swap will still be significantly more expensive, somewhere around $2-3k more.

Based on your experience with both swaps, and that this new K swap allows you to keep the stock subframe to stay eligible for ST4, if you were to start over again which would you personally choose?

Add wiring harness and ECU, AFPR, yeah. It's a pretty comprehensive kit.

Give me a few events with the Ecotec, but I already miss that 7800 RPM redline and happy bouncy Honda rev-limiter. Do it over again? I would have probably kept the ST3 K24A2 build as-is! Given a choice between the ecotec swap and K24Z? The honda, for sure.

So how comprehensive are the wiring instructions that come with these ECU kits for swaps like this? Is it plug and play to get the engine to run? Car doesn't have cruise or ABS, all I really need for functionality is a speedo, tach and the other gauges I can plumb / wire.

I'm becoming more interested in a K swap in the not-too-distant future to make my Miata more fun with more whp reliably. I just hate am intimidated by the  wiring portion of the program...

24 minutes ago, joesurf79 said:

So how comprehensive are the wiring instructions that come with these ECU kits for swaps like this? Is it plug and play to get the engine to run? Car doesn't have cruise or ABS, all I really need for functionality is a speedo, tach and the other gauges I can plumb / wire.

I'm becoming more interested in a K swap in the not-too-distant future to make my Miata more fun with more whp reliably. I just hate am intimidated by the  wiring portion of the program...

EC9D70E7-DE22-4527-9B50-CDFCD07E6644.gif

1 hour ago, joesurf79 said:

I can only speak to the K20A swap setup - but it's very much plug and play. You get an OEM harness from a specific model, and an OEM ecu with Kpro or Ktuner installed. Harness plugs into ECU. The K-miata wiring adapter set bridges the gap; it plugs to the remaining connector and gives you wires to connect to the key switch, fuel pump, fans, etc. It's very much straightforward.

MER shop at Cresson has a running Ecotech swapped car 

they started with a track toy NA

I guess it is for sale