z28pwr

Why no love for the Cayman?

Great car. My experience is mostly with the 987.2 (Cayman R) which is essentially the same engine/ gearbox. In the summer months temps can be a problem. I needed the center radiator kit from Suncoast which helped a lot. Oil starvation does not seem to be an issue with the 9A1. It has additional oil pickups and pumping capacity vs the M96 and M97 which can have starvation issues. A deep sump will help with cooling though.  I have had no PS problems  so far (50k mi total with over 100 track days). Listen and watch for water pump failure as seems to be common with the 9A1. I'm on my second pump. Maxing out neg camber in the front (usually about -1.0 deg) will help some with tire wear. Adjustable lower control arms is a popular mod but may not be worthwhile for a few events a year.       

2 hours ago, z28pwr said:

You're right, the poor BRZ/FRS/GT-86 get's no love. I still have mine as a daily driver. 

Thanks Rev!

Congrats! I love that color, it's easier to keep clean too.

Yup poor man's 911 :D... I'm hoping that ceramic coating will help keep it clean.

I know that the brakes are a must but is the rest needed if I'm only doing 3 HPDE's with it a year?

I think it depends on how many G's your going to pull for the oil, and temperature for the engine.  If you are blue solo or better -- .....

Unfortunately there's no oil temp or oil pressure gauges on Caymans.  Also the temp gauge will almost always be pinned to 175 -- and your real temperature will be unknown.

YMMV, but I put 10K miles on a 100K mile Boxster S with that above combo and used Amsoil 20W/50 racing oil.  Didn't have any problems.

And I'm repeating the same before ever hitting the track.

I am an instructor and racer, and I'll drive the snot out of it, but I'd rather do some preventative work than have a failure at the track and/or do an engine swap.

Mike

3 hours ago, z28pwr said:

I know that the brakes are a must but is the rest needed if I'm only doing 3 HPDE's with it a year?

Since we only run ours on the track Sept-May, I haven’t bothered with any cooling mods and it’s rock steady on temperatures. Eventually I’ll add the 3rd rad, but for now it does well without it. 

3 hours ago, z28pwr said:

Probably not...I believe oiling issues on Cayman's were taken care of with the 2nd generation 987's and if you're not running during summer days then cooling probably isn't an issue.  You should be fine out of the box for limited HPDE participation.  You may want to consider adding some camber up front.  I scrubbed the outside of my front tires within 2 events.  I added the GT3 adjustable control arms and now wear is even.  Went from -1 camber to -3...or you can just slap on some camber plates.  I think that will get you to around -2 degrees iirc.

3 hours ago, I.G.Y said:

I have had no PS problems  so far (50k mi total with over 100 track days). Listen and watch for water pump failure as seems to be common with the 9A1. I'm on my second pump. Maxing out neg camber in the front (usually about -1.0 deg) will help some with tire wear. Adjustable lower control arms is a popular mod but may not be worthwhile for a few events a year.       

I thought that the water pump issues were on the 987, are the 981's also having the same problem?

2 hours ago, lonestarrpm said:

I think it depends on how many G's your going to pull for the oil, and temperature for the engine.  If you are blue solo or better -- .....

Unfortunately there's no oil temp or oil pressure gauges on Caymans.  Also the temp gauge will almost always be pinned to 175 -- and your real temperature will be unknown.

YMMV, but I put 10K miles on a 100K mile Boxster S with that above combo and used Amsoil 20W/50 racing oil.  Didn't have any problems.

And I'm repeating the same before ever hitting the track.

I am an instructor and racer, and I'll drive the snot out of it, but I'd rather do some preventative work than have a failure at the track and/or do an engine swap.

Mike

Mike, they added a digital gauge with oil pressure and oil temperature to the 981, which I'm happy for.  My track rat is a Miata, so the Cayman will be mostly reserved for COTA.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-cayman-manual/9/102/Cockpit-Cooling-system-temperature-gauge

1 hour ago, BobKid said:

Since we only run ours on the track Sept-May, I haven’t bothered with any cooling mods and it’s rock steady on temperatures. Eventually I’ll add the 3rd rad, but for now it does well without it. 

Glad to hear that. Unfortunately it didn't come with PASM.

31 minutes ago, rickyboycz said:

Probably not...I believe oiling issues on Cayman's were taken care of with the 2nd generation 987's and if you're not running during summer days then cooling probably isn't an issue.  You should be fine out of the box for limited HPDE participation.  You may want to consider adding some camber up front.  I scrubbed the outside of my front tires within 2 events.  I added the GT3 adjustable control arms and now wear is even.  Went from -1 camber to -3...or you can just slap on some camber plates.  I think that will get you to around -2 degrees iirc.

I'm probably going to do the same thing as you and add the lower control arms to avoid killing the tires. 

11 hours ago, z28pwr said:

they added a digital gauge with oil pressure and oil temperature to the 981, which I'm happy for.  My track rat is a Miata, so the Cayman will be mostly reserved for COTA.

http://www.porscheownersmanuals.com/2014-cayman-manual/9/102/Cockpit-Cooling-system-temperature-gauge

Great link!  Just by a quick watch, I learned a couple of things I questioned. 

I have a 981 Boxster S (2013).  I got the PDK because my commute’s a be-atch and, even setting that aside, it’s a pretty impressive gearbox.  Launch control is FUUUUUN.

And don’t worry - you didn’t compromise by not getting a 911.  The 981 is a great platform and definitely more nimble than a comparable year 911, unless we’re talking GT cars.

I expect you will discover that Porsche maintenance cost on an occasional track car may be expensive relative to other cars.   I have had a few rides and own an old 944.      Porsche refinement vs my others cars creates a unique and very pleasurable driving experience.

1 hour ago, speedracer said:

Porsche refinement vs my others cars creates a unique and very pleasurable driving experience.

Werd. 

I still make fun of some p-car owners, but I’m now a believer in this Cayman design !

I'd kind of like to get my "hairdresser mojo" on and try tracking a Cayman...they seem pretty respectable for what they offer.

On 9/1/2019 at 8:59 PM, speedracer said:

I expect you will discover that Porsche maintenance cost on an occasional track car may be expensive relative to other cars.   I have had a few rides and own an old 944.      Porsche refinement vs my others cars creates a unique and very pleasurable driving experience.

I learned about the Porsche Tax this weekend. I tried to get pricing to install a catback exhaust and the cheapest quote came back at $350 and the highest at $600. I did what any other TJ would do and picked up the QuickJack 5,000 and installed it myself.  

9 hours ago, z28pwr said:

I learned about the Porsche Tax this weekend. I tried to get pricing to install a catback exhaust and the cheapest quote came back at $350 and the highest at $600. I did what any other TJ would do and picked up the QuickJack 5,000 and installed it myself.  

amazing how that emblem has a totally different shop rate right? 🤦‍♂️

It seems to be a common theme with any German car.  They automatically assume that you have money to throw around because of what you drive.  I had the same problem when having work done on my BMW as well.  Fortunately my mechanic charges me more realistic rates without the German tax applied.

4 hours ago, Hollywood said:

amazing how that emblem has a totally different shop rate right? 🤦‍♂️

When I ask a shop to do some easy stuff on my 911 (like bleed the brakes, etc) because I do not feel like / have time, the conversation goes like this.

Guy: Hey sure we can do that, what kind of car do you have?

HDA: ---silence---

Guy: Sir? What's the YMM of the car you will be bringing in so I can give you an estimate

HDA: Emmm how much do you think it will cost?

Guy: well that depends on the car, what do you drive?

HDA: --- sighs--- a Volkswagen Beetle ---said very quickly---.

21 minutes ago, HDA said:

When I ask a shop to do some easy stuff on my 911 (like bleed the brakes, etc) because I do not feel like / have time, the conversation goes like this.

Guy: Hey sure we can do that, what kind of car do you have?

HDA: ---silence---

Guy: Sir? What's the YMM of the car you will be bringing in so I can give you an estimate

HDA: Emmm how much do you think it will cost?

Guy: well that depends on the car, what do you drive?

HDA: --- sighs--- a Volkswagen Beetle ---said very quickly---.

I really hope this continues right into showing up at the shop and playing dumb.

"Sir this is a Porsche, not a Volkswagen."

"DO I LOOK LIKE A CAROLOGIST?!?!?!"

Esatly. It’s a german vehicle 

I might have a friend interested.  I believe they should fit a 986 as well.  It looks like you have the shims for the forks.