z28pwr

Why no love for the Cayman?

I was looking for a weekend car that would be fun and engaging to drive and after lots of research I decided that the sound of a flat 6 screaming at 7,800 rpm's coupled to a 6 speed manual transmission would be the ticket and seeing that the Cayman was mid engine with better weight distribution I  purchased a well equipped six speed 981 Cayman S, but I haven't even had the car for a day and 3 different Porsche enthusiasts have told me that the 911 is better in every way, and that Porsche only builds the Cayman because they needed a cheaper vehicle.. WTH??? Is the 911 really that much better or are these guys just in love with their 911's and can't accept anything other than that?  This car is so much fun, but I feel like I missed out on something. 

Mostly snobbery, the 911 is a little faster (almost entirely due to its power advantage) and is the quintessential Porsche. The 911 is loved because it's an icon and has charm (most of which is really just a love/acceptance of dynamic flaws), while the Cayman and Boxster will always be seen as the "little brother" or cheaper alternative regardless of driving dynamics.

Anyone who shits on a Cayman because it's not a 911 isn't someone worth listening to.

Ugh. Don't worry about the "not real enthusiasts" car snobs.

Congrats on the badass new car.  

12 hours ago, z28pwr said:

I was looking for a weekend car that would be fun and engaging to drive and after lots of research I decided that the sound of a flat 6 screaming at 7,800 rpm's coupled to a 6 speed manual transmission would be the ticket and seeing that the Cayman was mid engine with better weight distribution I  purchased a well equipped six speed 981 Cayman S, but I haven't even had the car for a day and 3 different Porsche enthusiasts have told me that the 911 is better in every way, and that Porsche only builds the Cayman because they needed a cheaper vehicle.. WTH??? Is the 911 really that much better or are these guys just in love with their 911's and can't accept anything other than that?  This car is so much fun, but I feel like I missed out on something. 

pics or gtfo!

Porsche only continue making the 911 the flagship car because they have to for the referenced 911 elitists that probably get beatup by Miata's at every autox/track day. Smart folks know the MR platform is superior *cough* 911 RSR *cough* C8 *cough*. The Cayman is only slower b/c they neuter it to keep it from being faster than the 911.

51 minutes ago, z28pwr said:

Thanks, for a second there I was wondering if I should've purchased the 911, but I'm quite happy with the Cayman.

@Hollywood

Pics are right of the trailer so it's dusty:

caymanside2.png

caymanside.png

caymanrear.pngcaymaninside.png

Ewww what is THAT ? Is that a Fiero? #911snob

17 hours ago, z28pwr said:

Just yesterday I was thinking about the new Spyder, then I configured one and saw it was $109k and I stopped thinking about it.

I think they are great cars, especially the pre turbo cars. I drove the GtS at the porsche experience center and the handling is just spot on, much easier to have fun with it compared to a 911.

At the same price and same years I would pick the 911, that’s my preference because of the shape, iconic, and the memories. But because they are NOT the same price for the same type of equipment or year, the Cayman is the better car.

for example between a 997 S and your Cayman S, man I would be confused on what to pick as the Cayman is the more fun, faster and reliable than a 14years old car...

And especially after the 997, the Cayman interprets better the “nimble and simple” feeling of Porsche than a 991.

so all this to say congrats! She’s a beauty and great choice!

6 hours ago, z28pwr said:

Thanks, for a second there I was wondering if I should've purchased the 911, but I'm quite happy with the Cayman.

@Hollywood

Pics are right of the trailer so it's dusty:

caymanside2.png

caymanside.png

caymanrear.pngcaymaninside.png

Just picked up a Cayman S to be my drive to the track car...

I race SPB, used to have a Boxster S drive to the track car...

It wasn’t that fast in a straight line, but she made up for it in the twisters.

i expect the cayman to be the same or better

just need to find time for the reliability mods and go quick parts.

mike

4 hours ago, HDA said:

Just yesterday I was thinking about the new Spyder, then I configured one and saw it was $109k and I stopped thinking about it.

I think they are great cars, especially the pre turbo cars. I drove the GtS at the porsche experience center and the handling is just spot on, much easier to have fun with it compared to a 911.

At the same price and same years I would pick the 911, that’s my preference because of the shape, iconic, and the memories. But because they are NOT the same price for the same type of equipment or year, the Cayman is the better car.

for example between a 997 S and your Cayman S, man I would be confused on what to pick as the Cayman is the more fun, faster and reliable than a 14years old car...

And especially after the 997, the Cayman interprets better the “nimble and simple” feeling of Porsche than a 991.

so all this to say congrats! She’s a beauty and great choice!

Thanks. It's good to hear that from somebody that knows their way around these cars. This is my first Porsche, so I had to do quite a bit of research before making the purchase.

1 hour ago, vchengap said:

Dayumm! Dream garage you got there.

Thanks. It's slowly coming together. 

30 minutes ago, lonestarrpm said:

Just picked up a Cayman S to be my drive to the track car...

I race SPB, used to have a Boxster S drive to the track car...

It wasn’t that fast in a straight line, but she made up for it in the twisters.

i expect the cayman to be the same or better

just need to find time for the reliability mods and go quick parts.

mike

Congrats on the Cayman. What do you suggest for dual duty brake pads and reliability mods?

ANd you say 7,800rpms? That’s heaven. 

Congrats!  Drive in good health and enjoy!!  Better to get what you want and ignore the haters.  My buddy just went through the same exercise and ended up with a Cayman as well.  Nice cars.

IMO, "car" non-flagship models are always "explanation cars."  Why the Cayman/Boxster vs 911.  Why  not the Z06/ZR1, why not an M, why not the V10, etc.  Most of the time it's snobbery by people that don't actually have the pinnacle car anyway.   Other times, it's based on the assumption you did the calculus and chose the "alternate" car for a reason.  

I've had a few 911s, and still have one now.  I've also had a Boxster that I converted to a race car.  The 911s are different to drive.  Having an engine out back requires a different skill set.  Boxster was easier to get close to the limit, but harder to stay there.  That may be because I drove 911 for over a decade and Boxster for only a couple years.   

As it turns out, I've had a few explanation cars over the years.  I stopped caring what the dodos were saying when they stopped paying for my cars 😉

-td

Damn that car is hot. I've driven a Cayman at HHR and it was a freaking blast.  The new ones I've had a hard time distinguishing a 911 from Cayman.  

8 hours ago, himself said:

Congrats!  Drive in good health and enjoy!!  Better to get what you want and ignore the haters.  My buddy just went through the same exercise and ended up with a Cayman as well.  Nice cars.

IMO, "car" non-flagship models are always "explanation cars."  Why the Cayman/Boxster vs 911.  Why  not the Z06/ZR1, why not an M, why not the V10, etc.  Most of the time it's snobbery by people that don't actually have the pinnacle car anyway.   Other times, it's based on the assumption you did the calculus and chose the "alternate" car for a reason.  

I've had a few 911s, and still have one now.  I've also had a Boxster that I converted to a race car.  The 911s are different to drive.  Having an engine out back requires a different skill set.  Boxster was easier to get close to the limit, but harder to stay there.  That may be because I drove 911 for over a decade and Boxster for only a couple years.   

As it turns out, I've had a few explanation cars over the years.  I stopped caring what the dodos were saying when they stopped paying for my cars 😉

-td

Good point. If I would've purchased the 911, it probably would've been why didn't I get the turbo or the GT3... I saw your SPB for sale and it was very tempting, but the Miata is just so cheap to run, that I couldn't justify making the switch. I'm glad you found a new toy to take it's place.

5 hours ago, IanIsInGarage said:

Damn that car is hot. I've driven a Cayman at HHR and it was a freaking blast.  The new ones I've had a hard time distinguishing a 911 from Cayman.  

I'm looking forward to taking her to H2R once it cools down a bit and I put on some decent brake pads. 

Beautiful Cayman! It's hard to go wrong with that choice.

Yes, there will be many 911 guys who crap on Caymans even though, by all objective data, the Cayman is every bit as competent a driver's car... if not better. But we are a remarkably petty and prideful species, are we not? So I have found it best in life to discover what you love to drive and enjoy it to the hilt. My Miatas were "hairdresser's cars." My e46 330i was "not an M3." My S2000 was a "torque-less ricer." Know what? Strung-out on the deserted country road behind my house, they were all utterly perfect in their own way, and brought me great joy. 

So as a 911 guy, let me welcome you to the Porsche family! It's a fun place to be if you learn to tune out the petty people and fellowship instead with those of us who love to celebrate fun cars no matter brand or price-point. If we ever get to "fellowship" on track, I promise that your Cayman will leave my 35-year-old g-body in the dust!

You think Cayman vs 911 guys sucks, try being BRZ vs anyone guy! They're great cars, but...oh wait...you did have one haha! 😉

Also - that car looks dead sexy! Congrats

Drew Kim had a Boxter and now has a 911 GT3 and a Cayman (and an F250).   the Cayman is his 'daily' when he's not in the truck and he absolutely loves it.   the GT3 is a track toy and not really suitable for daily driving.  I can't imagine the maintenance costs in driving a GT3 around..  just not what it was intended for..

the way I see it, your 911 "friends" are looking down their noses at you because anything NOT a 911 is garbage to them.   The Boxter is a hairdresser's car, and a Cayman is a poor man's wannabe 911.  The rest of the model lines don't count since they're not a 2 door sports coupe.

congrats on the purchase! black cars sure are pretty, but I don't wash mine enough and it would always look like crap!!   "hides dirt silver" is my color of choice! :)

On 8/10/2019 at 7:37 PM, z28pwr said:

Thanks. It's good to hear that from somebody that knows their way around these cars. This is my first Porsche, so I had to do quite a bit of research before making the purchase.

Thanks. It's slowly coming together. 

Congrats on the Cayman. What do you suggest for dual duty brake pads and reliability mods?

Reliability:

Center Radiator & 997 Oil/H2O heat exchanger to lower engine temps

Deep Sump, at least 1/2qt & EBS Baffle or equivalent to help prevent oil starvation.

4" Underdrive pulley to save the PS pump.

Radiator and heat exchanger might be optional, but here in Texas, heat is a killer, and thats a weak spot on the Caymans.

For brakes, Pagid Orange.

There maybe some other modifications, but I think these are a good basic set.  

On 8/12/2019 at 12:18 PM, joesurf79 said:

You think Cayman vs 911 guys sucks, try being BRZ vs anyone guy! They're great cars, but...oh wait...you did have one haha! 😉

Also - that car looks dead sexy! Congrats

You're right, the poor BRZ/FRS/GT-86 get's no love. I still have mine as a daily driver. 

On 8/12/2019 at 10:32 AM, Rev said:

Beautiful Cayman! It's hard to go wrong with that choice.

Yes, there will be many 911 guys who crap on Caymans even though, by all objective data, the Cayman is every bit as competent a driver's car... if not better. But we are a remarkably petty and prideful species, are we not? So I have found it best in life to discover what you love to drive and enjoy it to the hilt. My Miatas were "hairdresser's cars." My e46 330i was "not an M3." My S2000 was a "torque-less ricer." Know what? Strung-out on the deserted country road behind my house, they were all utterly perfect in their own way, and brought me great joy. 

So as a 911 guy, let me welcome you to the Porsche family! It's a fun place to be if you learn to tune out the petty people and fellowship instead with those of us who love to celebrate fun cars no matter brand or price-point. If we ever get to "fellowship" on track, I promise that your Cayman will leave my 35-year-old g-body in the dust!

Thanks Rev!

On 8/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, Hastarock said:

I don’t even look at 911s anymore 😎

since this happened to us ...

A2C56879-00A0-4F4A-BD57-5B4316C568B4.jpeg

Congrats! I love that color, it's easier to keep clean too.

On 8/12/2019 at 3:18 PM, Matt93SE said:

Drew Kim had a Boxter and now has a 911 GT3 and a Cayman (and an F250).   the Cayman is his 'daily' when he's not in the truck and he absolutely loves it.   the GT3 is a track toy and not really suitable for daily driving.  I can't imagine the maintenance costs in driving a GT3 around..  just not what it was intended for..

the way I see it, your 911 "friends" are looking down their noses at you because anything NOT a 911 is garbage to them.   The Boxter is a hairdresser's car, and a Cayman is a poor man's wannabe 911.  The rest of the model lines don't count since they're not a 2 door sports coupe.

congrats on the purchase! black cars sure are pretty, but I don't wash mine enough and it would always look like crap!!   "hides dirt silver" is my color of choice! :)

Yup poor man's 911 :D... I'm hoping that ceramic coating will help keep it clean.

1 hour ago, lonestarrpm said:

Reliability:

Center Radiator & 997 Oil/H2O heat exchanger to lower engine temps

Deep Sump, at least 1/2qt & EBS Baffle or equivalent to help prevent oil starvation.

4" Underdrive pulley to save the PS pump.

Radiator and heat exchanger might be optional, but here in Texas, heat is a killer, and thats a weak spot on the Caymans.

For brakes, Pagid Orange.

There maybe some other modifications, but I think these are a good basic set.  

I know that the brakes are a must but is the rest needed if I'm only doing 3 HPDE's with it a year?