Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nealb

Trailering and toll tag question

Recommended Posts

So here’s another thing (of many) that doesn’t make sense.

I got a toll tag for my new to me street legal Miata but haven’t put in on yet.

Called NTTA and asked if I have the Miata on my open car hauler trailer and go through a toll booth, do I get charged for all three?  Meaning truck, trailer and Miata.

Answer was yes.  They claim state law says any vehicle going thru a toll reader must pay.

I said even if not on its own power or touching the road?  Answer was yes.

I trailered my previous track only Miata often.  It never had a license tag or a toll tag.  Never got anything saying I owed for the mystery car on the trailer.

I’ve googled some trying to research the state law thing but so far haven't found anything

Saw this on NTTA site and it doesn't mention what is on a trailer  just that presence of a towed trailer doubles the normal rate
 

Going to cover the license tag when towing and see how that works.

Anyone ever been charged for a licensed car on a trailer?  Three times for one pass thru a toll reader?

Share this post


Link to post

1.  Those guys will take every penny you let them take.

2. no, you should not pay 3X for a truck, trailer, and car on trailer.   you should pay 2x.    *most* locations charge by the axle.  so if you're in a truck (2 axles) and towing a trailer (2 axles), then you should not get dinged for the car sitting on the trailer.

However, reality is that the system has a few automated things and the goal is to capture as many charges as possible.   If the machine reads your toll tag and the photos see you have a 2 axle trailer, it's going to charge your truck tag for 4 axles..  If you ALSO have a tag on your car that's 6ft behind your truck, it's going to charge for it too.

 

So yes I agree- if there's a way to cover or remove the tag from your Miata, you are perfectly within your rights to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Matt93SE said:

1.  Those guys will take every penny you let them take.

2. no, you should not pay 3X for a truck, trailer, and car on trailer.   you should pay 2x.    *most* locations charge by the axle.  so if you're in a truck (2 axles) and towing a trailer (2 axles), then you should not get dinged for the car sitting on the trailer.

However, reality is that the system has a few automated things and the goal is to capture as many charges as possible.   If the machine reads your toll tag and the photos see you have a 2 axle trailer, it's going to charge your truck tag for 4 axles..  If you ALSO have a tag on your car that's 6ft behind your truck, it's going to charge for it too.

 

So yes I agree- if there's a way to cover or remove the tag from your Miata, you are perfectly within your rights to do so.

 

and license plates if equipped on the towed vehicle. 

Share this post


Link to post

yes, that too.   got a phone call in the middle of that post and sent it.

 

one good thing about enclosed trailer I guess is that they cannot see what's in it and the metal roof prevents reading tags inside the trailer.

Share this post


Link to post

Years ago I had a Jeep rock crawler ....sold it to a buddy....he sold it to another buddy....it had not been registered for street use for years....but it still had the original license plate on it....yep, I should've taken the plate.....so....I eventually get a bill in the mail from NTTA for multiple tolls....it shows my old Jeep on a trailer (the trailer of the 2nd guy that bought it), the trailer was not tagged (I think the guy lived in OK) or else the trailer plate was not visible....they tried to bill me....I kindly explained the audacity of that and offered to go to court over it if need be....yeah, they 86'ed those bills.....

Share this post


Link to post

I was charged for an 18-wheeler's worth of tolls, because the VW I traded in with the diesel recall was on the very back of the big car hauler and their scanner saw my plate but not the truck's. They absolutely refused to cancel or reverse it. Even though it should be common sense, they refused to flex on it.

So yes, absolutely cover the plate. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Shuka said:

I was charged for an 18-wheeler's worth of tolls, because the VW I traded in with the diesel recall was on the very back of the big car hauler and their scanner saw my plate but not the truck's. They absolutely refused to cancel or reverse it. Even though it should be common sense, they refused to flex on it.

So yes, absolutely cover the plate. 

ouch, 

I pulled my EZ tag off my car but left the plates. time to drop the plates.  So far I've only been charged $5.50/Toll on B8 

Share this post


Link to post

I haven't put the toll tag on the car yet and don't think I will.  If I drive it through a toll reader, my plate will trigger the lower price toll.

 

And I'll just cover the tag when trailering.

Just stupid to get charged for a vehicle that isn't touching the road.

Share this post


Link to post
17 hours ago, Shuka said:

I was charged for an 18-wheeler's worth of tolls, because the VW I traded in with the diesel recall was on the very back of the big car hauler and their scanner saw my plate but not the truck's. They absolutely refused to cancel or reverse it. Even though it should be common sense, they refused to flex on it.

So yes, absolutely cover the plate. 

I'm only laughing because there is not an appropriate response for the anger that HCTRA routinely gives me.

Share this post


Link to post
55 minutes ago, nealb said:

I haven't put the toll tag on the car yet and don't think I will.  If I drive it through a toll reader, my plate will trigger the lower price toll.

And I'll just cover the tag when trailering.

Just stupid to get charged for a vehicle that isn't touching the road.

For the days you want to use the tolltag, maybe just stick a little baseball card holder to the window and you can slide the tag in and out as you wish?http://www.collectons.com/images/items/2015/04/25/1429994292.jpg

Just trim it a little shorter than the toll tag so the end of the tag sticks out and it's easy to grab and slide out..  ???

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...