V6Donut

NASA TEXAS TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY: Aug16th-18th, 2019

35 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Dunno, I feel like my understanding would hinge on refunding. 

LOL! It sounds like NASA is going to refund DE/TT participants entry fees. Of course, entree fees are often the least expensive part of a weekend. I feel bad for everyone involved, really.

Was not there but it seems like TMS may have failed to properly plan / design safety barriers for the infield course?

I was not there, but did here about the woes of the weekend.

Seems the event was poorly managed/executed by TMS and NASA with respect to the TT and DE groups. The blame falling in parts on TMS and NASA. There was no live timing on Saturday for TT, I would have hoped the timing loop was tested during the Friday test and tune on the infield. Maybe it was, and crapped out on Saturday as per Murphy's law. No problem with TMS making a call in the name of safety on Sunday, but certainly hope something was learned from that regarding track (infield) prep.

The short of it (as a TT competitor), there was no timing and therefore no competition for the whole event. Like @robertcopesaid, the entry fees are often less that the car prep, travel, lodging, and food expense of making the trip. But I'm interested to see if NASA does anything to make it up to the entrants whose weekend was a total bust.

Oh, yeah, and pouring one out for an S2000 homie.... 😞

On 8/18/2019 at 7:33 AM, lobster said:

The big delay was them trying to fix the timing loop 

the cancellation was from a de1 car exposing a risk to the nascar lights they didn’t want to risk so they want barriers in front of them for next time.

Yep. That's it basically the whole story.

The track said the loop worked, but when NASA showed up it did not. After testing the loop on Friday, Will had some equipment overnighted to get it working mid-Saturday, but after spending a few hours trying they had to give up and get cars back on track.

In the last HPDE session a car went off after getting loose through the high speed kink and went into the fence, nearly hitting one of the lights. The track shut down the short course for the weekend after that. The race groups using the roval didn't have that section and thus were allowed to run the next day.

I ran ST4 on Sunday and got 2nd place - the roval is an absolute blast to race on. Super super fun to have that dynamic of full throttle around banking and tiny mistakes causing huge gaps on the oval. I cannot stress enough my biggest takeaway from the weekend: TMS is a really fun and challenging track, both the roval and the short course are extremely fun! I will be going back to drive it again, doubly so if it isn't in the middle of August next time.

Also congrats to @lobster on his first successful W2W race and 1st place finish in his rookie debut!

2 minutes ago, lobster said:

I'm a racing driver now!  

Provisional racing driver! Good job though, you were haulin'

image.thumb.png.78e9ed5e18bfb05348b46ff3250ced2e.png

4 hours ago, lobster said:

I'm a racing driver now!  

come a long way from our talks at Goose's Acre years ago... 😂

Just now, Hollywood said:

come a long way from our talks at Goose's Acre years ago... 😂

lol yah, its been an adventure.   

6 hours ago, Arro said:

I was not there, but did here about the woes of the weekend.

Seems the event was poorly managed/executed by TMS and NASA with respect to the TT and DE groups. The blame falling in parts on TMS and NASA. There was no live timing on Saturday for TT, I would have hoped the timing loop was tested during the Friday test and tune on the infield. Maybe it was, and crapped out on Saturday as per Murphy's law. No problem with TMS making a call in the name of safety on Sunday, but certainly hope something was learned from that regarding track (infield) prep.

The short of it (as a TT competitor), there was no timing and therefore no competition for the whole event. Like @robertcopesaid, the entry fees are often less that the car prep, travel, lodging, and food expense of making the trip. But I'm interested to see if NASA does anything to make it up to the entrants whose weekend was a total bust.

Oh, yeah, and pouring one out for an S2000 homie.... 😞

I disagree with this.  

NASA operated on a false pretense that the timing loop on the infield was operational.   This event was handled very well and the amount of communication was better than every previous event combined as NASA utilized the new SMS messaging service to keep everyone up to date with whats going on and we were informed at every opportunity from informal encounters at drivers info to the drivers meetings and emails.    

The "blame" if you want to call it that falls squarely on TMS.   First failing to insure that the loop was operational and secondly assuming that the infield configuration was setup in a layout acceptable to them.  

In spite of the issues and understandable frustration the event was good and I think with the 2 things fixed for next year (and a better date not in the 100 degree heat) would make this one of the funner events of the year.  

For any failings of NASA you may of heard about or experienced previously I don't see this as one of them

Obviously it's up to NASA to make right with the DE/TT groups that got the short end of the stick.   

also RIP S2K.  

F

6 hours ago, Shuka said:

Yep. That's it basically the whole story.

The track said the loop worked, but when NASA showed up it did not. After testing the loop on Friday, Will had some equipment overnighted to get it working mid-Saturday, but after spending a few hours trying they had to give up and get cars back on track.

In the last HPDE session a car went off after getting loose through the high speed kink and went into the fence, nearly hitting one of the lights. The track shut down the short course for the weekend after that. The race groups using the roval didn't have that section and thus were allowed to run the next day. 

I ran ST4 on Sunday and got 2nd place - the roval is an absolute blast to race on. Super super fun to have that dynamic of full throttle around banking and tiny mistakes causing huge gaps on the oval. I cannot stress enough my biggest takeaway from the weekend: TMS is a really fun and challenging track, both the roval and the short course are extremely fun! I will be going back to drive it again, doubly so if it isn't in the middle of August next time.

Also congrats to @lobster on his first successful W2W race and 1st place finish in his rookie debut!

Hey everyone, TT Chase here checking in and just want to help clear things up. As to me it seems many of those who weren't there always give .2 cents (its the interwebs, I don't blame you.) 

First off, Nix was right, TMS has said over an over "there was a timing loop on the infield" TMS failed to mention that it is 10 years old and was never maintained.  Thursday Will finds out the timing loop is not working during some prechecks. He got with the IT guy who takes care of it at TMS and they worked on it all day & night Thursday. With last major efforts Friday morning. Once he realized its probably not going to work he  begun to search for a back up. Ordering a system and having it shipped over night with an early morning scheduled delivery to make it with thoughts of TT only missing 1-2 sessions. After a couple hours of not being able to get the timing loop up for TT and causing a delay for the entire event, he moved forward with the races and we begun to plan on working on the timing loop all night till it was up and running.  We also started talking about how to plan for TT for contingency's worked out and contacting the National office.

Unfortunately, during HPDE1, there was a mishap that lead to opening up the possibly of “it’s dangerous for a car to potentially hit these light poles that aren’t protected by a wall  and they cannot be replaced in time for the next NASCAR event”. So it’s a double risk scenario and TMS and NASA decided it best to cancel for the Sunday HPDE/TT

TL;DR: NASA drivers get short end of the stick  by A bad situation but both NASA and TMS are still enthusiastic about putting on great events for TT/de/and racers in 2020 and beyond.    Lobster wins his class in ST and Nix hits the podium on the new setup. 

1 hour ago, lobster said:

I disagree with this.  

NASA operated on a false pretense that the timing loop on the infield was operational.   This event was handled very well and the amount of communication was better than every previous event combined as NASA utilized the new SMS messaging service to keep everyone up to date with whats going on and we were informed at every opportunity from informal encounters at drivers info to the drivers meetings and emails.    

The "blame" if you want to call it that falls squarely on TMS.   First failing to insure that the loop was operational and secondly assuming that the infield configuration was setup in a layout acceptable to them.  

In spite of the issues and understandable frustration the event was good and I think with the 2 things fixed for next year (and a better date not in the 100 degree heat) would make this one of the funner events of the year.  

For any failings of NASA you may of heard about or experienced previously I don't see this as one of them

Obviously it's up to NASA to make right with the DE/TT groups that got the short end of the stick.   

also RIP S2K.  

F

37 minutes ago, V6Donut said:

Hey everyone, TT Chase here checking in and just want to help clear things up. As to me it seems many of those who weren't there always give .2 cents (its the interwebs, I don't blame you.) 

First off, Nix was right, TMS has said over an over "there was a timing loop on the infield" TMS failed to mention that it is 10 years old and was never maintained.  Thursday Will finds out the timing loop is not working during some prechecks. He got with the IT guy who takes care of it at TMS and they worked on it all day & night Thursday. With last major efforts Friday morning. Once he realized its probably not going to work he  begun to search for a back up. Ordering a system and having it shipped over night with an early morning scheduled delivery to make it with thoughts of TT only missing 1-2 sessions. After a couple hours of not being able to get the timing loop up for TT and causing a delay for the entire event, he moved forward with the races and we begun to plan on working on the timing loop all night till it was up and running.  We also started talking about how to plan for TT for contingency's worked out and contacting the National office.

Unfortunately, during HPDE1, there was a mishap that lead to opening up the possibly of “it’s dangerous for a car to potentially hit these light poles that aren’t protected by a wall  and they cannot be replaced in time for the next NASCAR event”. So it’s a double risk scenario and TMS and NASA decided it best to cancel for the Sunday HPDE/TT

TL;DR: NASA drivers get short end of the stick  by A bad situation but both NASA and TMS are still enthusiastic about putting on great events for TT/de/and racers in 2020 and beyond.    Lobster wins his class in ST and Nix hits the podium on the new setup. 

Thanks all for clearing the air on all that.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like TMS should/will do better in the future. It's great to hear the NASA folks were responsive in making every effort behind the scenes to find a remedy for the timing loop issue.

Congrats @lobster on the win, it must have been fun to stretch the legs on the Corvette. I'm sure others had a different experience and feelings about the weekend though.

On 8/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hollywood said:

Dunno, I feel like my understanding would hinge on refunding. 

The DE/TT will be refunded.  For 1 day or 2 I'm not sure. 

29 minutes ago, lobster said:

lobsters first actual race start 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417

track limits? 

2065607465_part0-102.thumb.jpg.fd6ca99bb476062d3e480dfd9145c2fb.jpg

This picture is badass. 

@lobster, what's next for the car? It looks very well adorned with aero bits. That rear diffuser looks legit!

1 hour ago, Arro said:

@lobster, what's next for the car? It looks very well adorned with aero bits. That rear diffuser looks legit!

fixing a transmission leak, or at least finding out if i can live with it.  

AMT lockout kit so i can in theory, stop doing alignments constantly. 

AIM MXL dash I think. 

eventually widebody so I can lower the car a bit and get better ground effect.  

Penskes...   

The car is really coming together for me and im doing a bit of gitting the gud myself.  

Tough weekend all around.  But Will and team did a real stand-up job to make sure it was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances.

The communication and contingency planning was first rate with what they had to deal with from information on the TMS side.

I think TMS is used to IndyCar and NASCAR and having an organized smaller organization is kind of new to them.

Next year we return for a more pleasant event.

12 minutes ago, pmptx said:

Tough weekend all around.  But Will and team did a real stand-up job to make sure it was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances.

The communication and contingency planning was first rate with what they had to deal with from information on the TMS side.

I think TMS is used to IndyCar and NASCAR and having an organized smaller organization is kind of new to them.

I'll be there! 

2 hours ago, pmptx said:

2 hours ago, lobster said:

I'll be there! 

Look forward to it!!! 

I had always heard negative reviews about the TMS road course.  The spec miata guys who had run the apron before even said that that was fun and the high banks would take away what little fun was to be had.

...Yeah they were wrong.

Drafting on the high banks is crazy fun.  And the infield was fast, but more importantly super technical.  You really, really had to pay attention to your inputs and just love on the middle pedal just right.  Facility was obviously awesome, but the little town down the road was really fun as well and there was alot to do around the track.  Also buccees burritos all day.  Just experience wise, one of my favorite NASA events all year.

Friday practice was just trying to figure out what we had.  We were chasing cooling shirt issues, cooling system issues, just little nagging stuff but we were getting the place figured out at a good clip.

Taylor Ferranti looked like the guy to beat after Friday and Saturday practice so I attempted to hook up with him to qualify.  Saturday qually it just didn't work out, folks got between us on grid and he took off as I worked through traffic.  Still managed to get into P2.  

In the race, I started off behind him but after bumping down the straight he caught me off guard by braking early into T3 and I went wide and cocked the whole thing up, letting McCammon and Agha on by me.  Got back into P2 and McCammon and I were working together to chase Taylor down but we caught an RX7 before the chicane.  and he Put like 10 cars on us.  Its insane how catching traffic near that chicane would make or break your race.  After trying to catch him again McCammon and I decided that we would start to fight for 2nd, so we swapped positions and dogfighted like crazy.  He came out on top.  NASA official asked if we were mad at each other afterwards and we just laughed our asses off.  Love racing that guy.  Video below

Day 2, Taylor and I finally got to work together in qualfying some and I ended up behind him by .005. Nice session though, we went out, did a lap together, came in, and watched the rest of the sessoin as people got slower and slower.  Race 2 We took off and gapped the field, but werent quite close enough where I could bump him.  Unfortuantely his car developed a stutter and he had to slow way down.  Dad was telling me that McCammon and Agha were working together and coming to catch me, but Agha had an off and after they lost contact we all were running the same lap times so I was able to take it home for the win.

Race 3, I started on Pole with McCammon on my outside.  The whole race was us two dogfighting.  2 laps from the finish he made a mistake trying to pass me into T3 and we both thought that would be how we finished.  On the last lap though after the back straightaway draft I saw him catching up to me , got nervous, protected the inside, and blew it.  He came roaring on my left side into T4, I outbraked myself and all the sudden I had blown the lead.  Managed to get a good run onto the straightaway and somehow the draft pulled me past him before the finish line.