Jump to content
V6Donut

NASA TEXAS TEXAS MOTOR SPEEDWAY: Aug16th-18th, 2019

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Hollywood said:

Dunno, I feel like my understanding would hinge on refunding. 

LOL! It sounds like NASA is going to refund DE/TT participants entry fees. Of course, entree fees are often the least expensive part of a weekend. I feel bad for everyone involved, really.

Share this post


Link to post

Was not there but it seems like TMS may have failed to properly plan / design safety barriers for the infield course?

Share this post


Link to post

I was not there, but did here about the woes of the weekend.

Seems the event was poorly managed/executed by TMS and NASA with respect to the TT and DE groups. The blame falling in parts on TMS and NASA. There was no live timing on Saturday for TT, I would have hoped the timing loop was tested during the Friday test and tune on the infield. Maybe it was, and crapped out on Saturday as per Murphy's law. No problem with TMS making a call in the name of safety on Sunday, but certainly hope something was learned from that regarding track (infield) prep.

The short of it (as a TT competitor), there was no timing and therefore no competition for the whole event. Like @robertcopesaid, the entry fees are often less that the car prep, travel, lodging, and food expense of making the trip. But I'm interested to see if NASA does anything to make it up to the entrants whose weekend was a total bust.

Oh, yeah, and pouring one out for an S2000 homie.... 😞

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2019 at 7:33 AM, lobster said:

The big delay was them trying to fix the timing loop 

 

the cancellation was from a de1 car exposing a risk to the nascar lights they didn’t want to risk so they want barriers in front of them for next time.

Yep. That's it basically the whole story.

The track said the loop worked, but when NASA showed up it did not. After testing the loop on Friday, Will had some equipment overnighted to get it working mid-Saturday, but after spending a few hours trying they had to give up and get cars back on track.

In the last HPDE session a car went off after getting loose through the high speed kink and went into the fence, nearly hitting one of the lights. The track shut down the short course for the weekend after that. The race groups using the roval didn't have that section and thus were allowed to run the next day.

I ran ST4 on Sunday and got 2nd place - the roval is an absolute blast to race on. Super super fun to have that dynamic of full throttle around banking and tiny mistakes causing huge gaps on the oval. I cannot stress enough my biggest takeaway from the weekend: TMS is a really fun and challenging track, both the roval and the short course are extremely fun! I will be going back to drive it again, doubly so if it isn't in the middle of August next time.

Also congrats to @lobster on his first successful W2W race and 1st place finish in his rookie debut!

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, lobster said:

I'm a racing driver now!  

 

Provisional racing driver! Good job though, you were haulin'

image.thumb.png.78e9ed5e18bfb05348b46ff3250ced2e.png

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Hollywood said:

 

come a long way from our talks at Goose's Acre years ago... 😂

 

lol yah, its been an adventure.   

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Arro said:

I was not there, but did here about the woes of the weekend.

Seems the event was poorly managed/executed by TMS and NASA with respect to the TT and DE groups. The blame falling in parts on TMS and NASA. There was no live timing on Saturday for TT, I would have hoped the timing loop was tested during the Friday test and tune on the infield. Maybe it was, and crapped out on Saturday as per Murphy's law. No problem with TMS making a call in the name of safety on Sunday, but certainly hope something was learned from that regarding track (infield) prep.

The short of it (as a TT competitor), there was no timing and therefore no competition for the whole event. Like @robertcopesaid, the entry fees are often less that the car prep, travel, lodging, and food expense of making the trip. But I'm interested to see if NASA does anything to make it up to the entrants whose weekend was a total bust.

Oh, yeah, and pouring one out for an S2000 homie.... 😞

 

I disagree with this.  

NASA operated on a false pretense that the timing loop on the infield was operational.   This event was handled very well and the amount of communication was better than every previous event combined as NASA utilized the new SMS messaging service to keep everyone up to date with whats going on and we were informed at every opportunity from informal encounters at drivers info to the drivers meetings and emails.    

The "blame" if you want to call it that falls squarely on TMS.   First failing to insure that the loop was operational and secondly assuming that the infield configuration was setup in a layout acceptable to them.  

In spite of the issues and understandable frustration the event was good and I think with the 2 things fixed for next year (and a better date not in the 100 degree heat) would make this one of the funner events of the year.  

For any failings of NASA you may of heard about or experienced previously I don't see this as one of them

Obviously it's up to NASA to make right with the DE/TT groups that got the short end of the stick.   

 

also RIP S2K.  

 

F

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Shuka said:

Yep. That's it basically the whole story.

The track said the loop worked, but when NASA showed up it did not. After testing the loop on Friday, Will had some equipment overnighted to get it working mid-Saturday, but after spending a few hours trying they had to give up and get cars back on track.

In the last HPDE session a car went off after getting loose through the high speed kink and went into the fence, nearly hitting one of the lights. The track shut down the short course for the weekend after that. The race groups using the roval didn't have that section and thus were allowed to run the next day. 

I ran ST4 on Sunday and got 2nd place - the roval is an absolute blast to race on. Super super fun to have that dynamic of full throttle around banking and tiny mistakes causing huge gaps on the oval. I cannot stress enough my biggest takeaway from the weekend: TMS is a really fun and challenging track, both the roval and the short course are extremely fun! I will be going back to drive it again, doubly so if it isn't in the middle of August next time.

Also congrats to @lobster on his first successful W2W race and 1st place finish in his rookie debut!

Hey everyone, TT Chase here checking in and just want to help clear things up. As to me it seems many of those who weren't there always give .2 cents (its the interwebs, I don't blame you.) 

First off, Nix was right, TMS has said over an over "there was a timing loop on the infield" TMS failed to mention that it is 10 years old and was never maintained.  Thursday Will finds out the timing loop is not working during some prechecks. He got with the IT guy who takes care of it at TMS and they worked on it all day & night Thursday. With last major efforts Friday morning. Once he realized its probably not going to work he  begun to search for a back up. Ordering a system and having it shipped over night with an early morning scheduled delivery to make it with thoughts of TT only missing 1-2 sessions. After a couple hours of not being able to get the timing loop up for TT and causing a delay for the entire event, he moved forward with the races and we begun to plan on working on the timing loop all night till it was up and running.  We also started talking about how to plan for TT for contingency's worked out and contacting the National office.

Unfortunately, during HPDE1, there was a mishap that lead to opening up the possibly of “it’s dangerous for a car to potentially hit these light poles that aren’t protected by a wall  and they cannot be replaced in time for the next NASCAR event”. So it’s a double risk scenario and TMS and NASA decided it best to cancel for the Sunday HPDE/TT

 

TL;DR: NASA drivers get short end of the stick  by A bad situation but both NASA and TMS are still enthusiastic about putting on great events for TT/de/and racers in 2020 and beyond.    Lobster wins his class in ST and Nix hits the podium on the new setup. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, lobster said:

 

I disagree with this.  

NASA operated on a false pretense that the timing loop on the infield was operational.   This event was handled very well and the amount of communication was better than every previous event combined as NASA utilized the new SMS messaging service to keep everyone up to date with whats going on and we were informed at every opportunity from informal encounters at drivers info to the drivers meetings and emails.    

The "blame" if you want to call it that falls squarely on TMS.   First failing to insure that the loop was operational and secondly assuming that the infield configuration was setup in a layout acceptable to them.  

In spite of the issues and understandable frustration the event was good and I think with the 2 things fixed for next year (and a better date not in the 100 degree heat) would make this one of the funner events of the year.  

For any failings of NASA you may of heard about or experienced previously I don't see this as one of them

Obviously it's up to NASA to make right with the DE/TT groups that got the short end of the stick.   

 

also RIP S2K.  

 

F

 

37 minutes ago, V6Donut said:

Hey everyone, TT Chase here checking in and just want to help clear things up. As to me it seems many of those who weren't there always give .2 cents (its the interwebs, I don't blame you.) 

First off, Nix was right, TMS has said over an over "there was a timing loop on the infield" TMS failed to mention that it is 10 years old and was never maintained.  Thursday Will finds out the timing loop is not working during some prechecks. He got with the IT guy who takes care of it at TMS and they worked on it all day & night Thursday. With last major efforts Friday morning. Once he realized its probably not going to work he  begun to search for a back up. Ordering a system and having it shipped over night with an early morning scheduled delivery to make it with thoughts of TT only missing 1-2 sessions. After a couple hours of not being able to get the timing loop up for TT and causing a delay for the entire event, he moved forward with the races and we begun to plan on working on the timing loop all night till it was up and running.  We also started talking about how to plan for TT for contingency's worked out and contacting the National office.

Unfortunately, during HPDE1, there was a mishap that lead to opening up the possibly of “it’s dangerous for a car to potentially hit these light poles that aren’t protected by a wall  and they cannot be replaced in time for the next NASCAR event”. So it’s a double risk scenario and TMS and NASA decided it best to cancel for the Sunday HPDE/TT

 

TL;DR: NASA drivers get short end of the stick  by A bad situation but both NASA and TMS are still enthusiastic about putting on great events for TT/de/and racers in 2020 and beyond.    Lobster wins his class in ST and Nix hits the podium on the new setup. 

 

Thanks all for clearing the air on all that.

Thanks for the update. Sounds like TMS should/will do better in the future. It's great to hear the NASA folks were responsive in making every effort behind the scenes to find a remedy for the timing loop issue.

Congrats @lobster on the win, it must have been fun to stretch the legs on the Corvette. I'm sure others had a different experience and feelings about the weekend though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/18/2019 at 4:00 PM, Hollywood said:

Dunno, I feel like my understanding would hinge on refunding. 

The DE/TT will be refunded.  For 1 day or 2 I'm not sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
29 minutes ago, lobster said:

 

lobsters first actual race start 

imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417imageproxy.php?img=&key=959c179e8609f417

track limits? 

2065607465_part0-102.thumb.jpg.fd6ca99bb476062d3e480dfd9145c2fb.jpg

 

This picture is badass. 

Share this post


Link to post

@lobster, what's next for the car? It looks very well adorned with aero bits. That rear diffuser looks legit!

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Arro said:

@lobster, what's next for the car? It looks very well adorned with aero bits. That rear diffuser looks legit!

 

fixing a transmission leak, or at least finding out if i can live with it.  

AMT lockout kit so i can in theory, stop doing alignments constantly. 

AIM MXL dash I think. 

eventually widebody so I can lower the car a bit and get better ground effect.  

Penskes...   

The car is really coming together for me and im doing a bit of gitting the gud myself.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Tough weekend all around.  But Will and team did a real stand-up job to make sure it was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances.

The communication and contingency planning was first rate with what they had to deal with from information on the TMS side.

I think TMS is used to IndyCar and NASCAR and having an organized smaller organization is kind of new to them.

Next year we return for a more pleasant event.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, pmptx said:

Tough weekend all around.  But Will and team did a real stand-up job to make sure it was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances.

The communication and contingency planning was first rate with what they had to deal with from information on the TMS side.

I think TMS is used to IndyCar and NASCAR and having an organized smaller organization is kind of new to them.

Next year we return for a more pleasant event.

I'll be there! 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, pmptx said:

Tough weekend all around.  But Will and team did a real stand-up job to make sure it was as good as could have been expected under the circumstances.

The communication and contingency planning was first rate with what they had to deal with from information on the TMS side.

I think TMS is used to IndyCar and NASCAR and having an organized smaller organization is kind of new to them. 

Next year we return for a more pleasant event.

 

2 hours ago, lobster said:

I'll be there! 

Look forward to it!!! 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...